Start by marking “Statistics” as Want to Read:
Statistics

Statistics

The Fourth Edition has been carefully revised and updated to reflect current data.
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 697 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published April 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Statistics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Statistics

Steve
Aug 30, 2009 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: statistics
During the fall of 1993, I was in my first semester of college. I took statistics and didn't like it at all. This was likely my own fault, as I was not a very serious student -- occasionally ditching class and frequently staying up much too late. During that fall semester in my statistics class, I wrote what seemed like a massive paper to an 18 year old, at 21 pages long (but it included data). Since I was 16, I had a job at Montgomery Ward at Randhurst shopping mall, where I sold shoes -- perha ...more
Reid
Jun 13, 2010 Reid rated it really liked it
If you want to learn the ins and outs of statistics, this is the book for you. One wonders why exactly you would have such a desire, but that might just be too much information! This book is extremely well-written, and is designed for those (people like me) who don't have much in the way of advanced mathematical skills. Though I read this for a course I had to take, I actually enjoyed taking on some of the abstruse concepts presented here. It certainly makes much more sense of some of what you r ...more
Taka
Dec 22, 2016 Taka rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, math
Good, but perhaps too simple? I can see why some people don't like this book, although it's one of the clearest mathematical textbook I have ever seen in my limited experience. Because it's too clear and easy to understand, it may seem even trivial especially to those who like mathematics for its complexity and sophistication (whether real or not). It is a pretty well-known psychological phenomenon, however: you tend to perceive something to be of high quality if you have a harder time understan ...more
Alexander Yakushev
I was drawn to this book by its promise of simple explanations and lack of complex mathematical formulas. Now, I think I should have gone for a little more math-heavy book, as this one is way too simplistic at times, and most of it will already be familiar to anyone who had a semi-decent Probability Theory class. There are a lot of examples and exercises (around 50% of the content) which make it more of a textbook rather than an introductory guide. And actually some colleges use it in the curric ...more
Harinee
Nov 03, 2016 Harinee rated it it was amazing
This is the first academic book I could actually complete without the weight of exams, just purely out of interest.Really great introduction if you have sucked at Stats like me in college.
Keith
Dec 23, 2012 Keith rated it it was amazing
I saw this on my brothers's old textbook shelf. I deal in statistics so I wanted to brush up using a basic text. I was very pleasantly surprised by the content of this book. It teaches statistics in a way different than the usual manner by using lots of examples, both real and hypothetical. The review questions are also case studies which makes the subject related.
Grace
Nov 19, 2009 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any statistics book will teach you how to calculate means, standard deviations and covariances. But this book also teaches you the why behind the equations and when NOT to apply the equations. That is, it teaches you how to sniff out bad experimental design and data sets that do not fit the standard (or normal) distribution.
Naveena Sunkara
Sep 01, 2014 Naveena Sunkara rated it liked it
Recently finished this book in conjunction with an intro to statistics course. The book was easy to follow and could, at times, have a sense of humor. Though it did not delve into much theory it served the purpose of education beginners to the basics of statistics.
Margot
May 16, 2013 Margot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome! I read it in conjunction with a statistics course offered on edX, and it was so understandable and readable. I highly recommend it. Although I read the 1978 edition, the content was still relevant as long as I ignored the income levels, etc.
Anne
Sep 11, 2016 Anne marked it as to-read
15 Aug 2016 (Y1S1W2) - The book's Chapter 1
20 Aug 2016 (Y1S1W2) - The book's Chapter 2
12 Sep 2015 (Y1S1W6) - p148 to p152 (Ecological Correlation, Association is not Causation), p169 to p173 (Regression Fallacy)
Sean Martin
Nov 18, 2015 Sean Martin rated it really liked it
Slightly atypical presentation of some areas which might make things a bit tricky later on, but a really solid intro book which doesn't overload the reader on formalism too early on.
Erin
Sep 26, 2014 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Not a very math-intensive book, but decent explanation of concepts and logical flow of ideas. This is a good reference book.
Travis
Feb 14, 2013 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfict-general
"Yes, I read an entire textbook, cover to cover - first time I've done that! This is not your typical statistics textbook" ...more
Starslayer
Starslayer rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Miguel Zaragoza
Miguel Zaragoza rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
Cameron Marsh
Cameron Marsh rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2013
Michel
Michel rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Lana
Lana rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Emily Butler
Emily Butler rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2014
sylara cruz
sylara cruz rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Ikram
Ikram rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Saswat Patnaik
Saswat Patnaik rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Kerry Snow
Kerry Snow rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Mafer
Mafer rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2013
Jeral Poskey
Jeral Poskey rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Kamlesj
Apr 14, 2016 Kamlesj rated it it was amazing
good
Edna J cameron
Edna J cameron rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Kirti
Kirti rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2015
Marc Jason
Marc Jason rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
  • A Guide To Econometrics
  • All the Mathematics You Missed
  • The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
  • Design and Analysis of Experiments
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water
  • Open Business Models: How To Thrive In The New Innovation Landscape
  • Statistics for Business & Economics
  • How to Get a PhD: A Handbook for Students and Their Supervisors
  • Mathematical Statistics with Applications (Mathematical Statistics (W/ Applications))
  • Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers
  • Essentials of Econometrics
  • Introduction to Linear Algebra
  • Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »