Start by marking “Statistics” as Want to Read:
Statistics

Statistics

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The fourth edition of this clear, no-nonsense text has been carefully revised & updated to incorporate new data.
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 697 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published April 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Statistics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Statistics

Steve
During the fall of 1993, I was in my first semester of college. I took statistics and didn't like it at all. This was likely my own fault, as I was not a very serious student -- occasionally ditching class and frequently staying up much too late. During that fall semester in my statistics class, I wrote what seemed like a massive paper to an 18 year old, at 21 pages long (but it included data). Since I was 16, I had a job at Montgomery Ward at Randhurst shopping mall, where I sold shoes -- perha ...more
Reid
If you want to learn the ins and outs of statistics, this is the book for you. One wonders why exactly you would have such a desire, but that might just be too much information! This book is extremely well-written, and is designed for those (people like me) who don't have much in the way of advanced mathematical skills. Though I read this for a course I had to take, I actually enjoyed taking on some of the abstruse concepts presented here. It certainly makes much more sense of some of what you r ...more
Keith
I saw this on my brothers's old textbook shelf. I deal in statistics so I wanted to brush up using a basic text. I was very pleasantly surprised by the content of this book. It teaches statistics in a way different than the usual manner by using lots of examples, both real and hypothetical. The review questions are also case studies which makes the subject related.
Grace
Any statistics book will teach you how to calculate means, standard deviations and covariances. But this book also teaches you the why behind the equations and when NOT to apply the equations. That is, it teaches you how to sniff out bad experimental design and data sets that do not fit the standard (or normal) distribution.
Naveena Sunkara
Recently finished this book in conjunction with an intro to statistics course. The book was easy to follow and could, at times, have a sense of humor. Though it did not delve into much theory it served the purpose of education beginners to the basics of statistics.
Margot
This book is awesome! I read it in conjunction with a statistics course offered on edX, and it was so understandable and readable. I highly recommend it. Although I read the 1978 edition, the content was still relevant as long as I ignored the income levels, etc.
Amanjeev
Jan 04, 2014 Amanjeev is currently reading it
Currently reading and it is such a smooth read.
Erin
Not a very math-intensive book, but decent explanation of concepts and logical flow of ideas. This is a good reference book.
Travis
"Yes, I read an entire textbook, cover to cover - first time I've done that! This is not your typical statistics textbook�"
Jamie
If there is one mathematics book that everyone should read this is it. More once I've read more.
zltg
Feb 10, 2011 zltg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
Easy to read, fun to read. Its emphasis on real world applications is admirable.
Kat Lynch
For an intro stats book, this one's pretty good. Clear & actually funny in parts.
sunnysideupgirl
Best intro statistics book I've ever read. Crystal clear and entertaining.
Austin packer
It's a fun and easy read. But it didn't cover very much material.
Jegan
Rasika
Rasika added it
Dec 06, 2014
Fuck Life
Fuck Life marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
¶
marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Anirban Banik
Anirban Banik marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Ross L. Kirkpatrick
Ross L. Kirkpatrick marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Alfred
Alfred marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Gypz
Gypz added it
Nov 16, 2014
Nabilatamer
Nabilatamer marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Lasse Skou Lindstad
Lasse Skou Lindstad marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications, Volume 1
  • The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
  • Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water
  • A First Course in Probability
  • Design and Analysis of Experiments
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • A Guide To Econometrics
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Linear Algebra and Its Applications
  • Naive Set Theory
  • Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
  • How to Get a PhD: A Handbook for Students and Their Supervisors
  • Probability And Statistics For Engineers And Scientists
  • Pattern Classification
  • Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness
  • Introductory Graph Theory
  • Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating And Profiting from Technology
  • Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization
Wrong: Why Experts Keep Failing Us and How to Know When Not to Trust Them Corps Business: The 30 Management Principles of the U.S. Marines At Large: The Strange Case of the World's Biggest Internet Invasion Brainmakers The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, A-C: Volume 1