Start by marking “Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics (First Impressions)” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Marvel Comics - full of cosmic battles and complex psychology - are the best-selling comics in America today. For generations, Marvel's moody heroes have captured the imagination of readers with their daring feats and iconoclastic wit. Relive the Marvel Magic in this lively history of the company and its heros - both imaginary and real:
Published September 25th 1993 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel

Alex Andrasik
Yes, this book is basically a big advertisement for Marvel Comics. But for a gawky preteen still in awe of the color and action and humanity of the books, this was like discovering the Bible for the first time (if you're into that kinda thing). For the first time I had, all in one place, the origins of every major figure in the universe, as well as at least a thumbnail of the creative and business process going on behind them. It was thrilling, and I still fondly thumb these pages now and then t...more
D.M.
This was given me by a sister who only vaguely understands that I like comics, so figured this'd do for me. I do not, however, like superhero comics in general, and haven't had a fondness at all for Marvel since I was a kid. But I thought it was high time I read this (and its DC counterpart).
It's not bad. The writing is solid, informative and snappy, though just a bit too cheerleadery overall to make this an effective unbiased history of the company. For someone with a slightly more than passing...more
Murf Reeves
A sneak peek inside the creation of Marvel comics over 50 years! The origins of comics and the fact that so few people were involved in the creation of their characters, based on the franchise of today. Stan Lee is a bad dude!!! I was reading comics in the early eighties, when Wolverine and the X-men were getting their first taste of notoriety, and to see the characters from the perspective of writer and penciler is awesome! Seems like a fun ride creating the Fantastic Four and Spiderman and hav...more
Cindy
I really enjoyed this book and getting to learn about Marvel throughout the 20th century (and their policy of, "Just throw titles/characters out there! One of 'em's got to be a winner!"). It was just need to get to see how the comics have evolved, and it was a great way to dive right into the Marvel culture, especially when you don't know as much as you'd like. Also, Stan Lee is just adorable.
Jon
It's good, covering the history of Marvel comics from its beginning to 1991 (publication date). As a result, it's a little dated, and so misses much of the more depressing parts of comics history, like the collapse of the direct market, Marvel's bankruptcy, and of course, Rob Liefield. But it's very pretty and if you're interested in comics history, well worth the read.
Mike Jensen
This book is such a pro-Marvel shill job that one almost thinks that Daniels was paid by Marvel to write it. Good for a lot of facts and reproduced art; bad for analysis and anything critical. This book is enjoyable, but vapid. It would make good toilet reading, except that it is so heavy.
captain america
a long commercial for marvel but i enjoyed the 60s/70s illustrations when i was a kid marvel maniac. i sold my entire comic book collection for two-hundred bucks to finance my move to new mexico from new jersey in 1976. shit. it was worth thousands.
TheDenizen
Contains some interesting information about Marvel comics, but is mostly pretty shameless about self-promotion. The best part is the glossy reproductions of several old comics included at the back of the book.
Jdetrick
This is such a company book, shilling for Marvel and glossing over any unpleasantness. It also tells a story that most Marvel fans already know. However, it is a fun stroll down memory lane.
Roland
When I was younger I was creaming in my pants over this book. Its a great collection of old covers, trivia, and history of Marvel Comics.
D
I would have liked it to be more focused on the creation of characters rather than the behind the scene production.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Comics
Friv Friv
Friv Friv marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Tyler Edwards
Tyler Edwards marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Cori Rail
Cori Rail marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Aaron
Aaron added it
Sep 16, 2014
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Ben Verduin
Ben Verduin marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jessy Davis
Jessy Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Chad Van deren
Chad Van deren is currently reading it
May 29, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Laura Lubak
Laura Lubak marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Batman - The Complete History: The Life and Times of the Dark Knight Wonder Woman: The Complete History Superman: The Complete History DC Comics: Sixty Years of the World's Favorite Comic Book Heroes Comix: A History of Comic Books in America