Start by marking “Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics (First Impressions)” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Marvel Comics - full of cosmic battles and complex psychology - are the best-selling comics in America today. For generations, Marvel's moody heroes have captured the imagination of readers with their daring feats and iconoclastic wit. Relive the Marvel Magic in this lively history of the company and its heros - both imaginary and real:
Published September 25th 1993 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel

Alex Andrasik
Yes, this book is basically a big advertisement for Marvel Comics. But for a gawky preteen still in awe of the color and action and humanity of the books, this was like discovering the Bible for the first time (if you're into that kinda thing). For the first time I had, all in one place, the origins of every major figure in the universe, as well as at least a thumbnail of the creative and business process going on behind them. It was thrilling, and I still fondly thumb these pages now and then t ...more
D.M.
Dec 03, 2010 D.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was given me by a sister who only vaguely understands that I like comics, so figured this'd do for me. I do not, however, like superhero comics in general, and haven't had a fondness at all for Marvel since I was a kid. But I thought it was high time I read this (and its DC counterpart).
It's not bad. The writing is solid, informative and snappy, though just a bit too cheerleadery overall to make this an effective unbiased history of the company. For someone with a slightly more than passing
Murf Reeves
Apr 01, 2013 Murf Reeves rated it liked it
A sneak peek inside the creation of Marvel comics over 50 years! The origins of comics and the fact that so few people were involved in the creation of their characters, based on the franchise of today. Stan Lee is a bad dude!!! I was reading comics in the early eighties, when Wolverine and the X-men were getting their first taste of notoriety, and to see the characters from the perspective of writer and penciler is awesome! Seems like a fun ride creating the Fantastic Four and Spiderman and hav ...more
Cindy
Aug 17, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and getting to learn about Marvel throughout the 20th century (and their policy of, "Just throw titles/characters out there! One of 'em's got to be a winner!"). It was just need to get to see how the comics have evolved, and it was a great way to dive right into the Marvel culture, especially when you don't know as much as you'd like. Also, Stan Lee is just adorable.
Jon
Aug 18, 2011 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's good, covering the history of Marvel comics from its beginning to 1991 (publication date). As a result, it's a little dated, and so misses much of the more depressing parts of comics history, like the collapse of the direct market, Marvel's bankruptcy, and of course, Rob Liefield. But it's very pretty and if you're interested in comics history, well worth the read.
Mike Jensen
Aug 20, 2011 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
This book is such a pro-Marvel shill job that one almost thinks that Daniels was paid by Marvel to write it. Good for a lot of facts and reproduced art; bad for analysis and anything critical. This book is enjoyable, but vapid. It would make good toilet reading, except that it is so heavy.
captain america
Jul 13, 2008 captain america rated it liked it
a long commercial for marvel but i enjoyed the 60s/70s illustrations when i was a kid marvel maniac. i sold my entire comic book collection for two-hundred bucks to finance my move to new mexico from new jersey in 1976. shit. it was worth thousands.
TheDenizen
Oct 03, 2011 TheDenizen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Contains some interesting information about Marvel comics, but is mostly pretty shameless about self-promotion. The best part is the glossy reproductions of several old comics included at the back of the book.
Roland
Mar 30, 2008 Roland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
When I was younger I was creaming in my pants over this book. Its a great collection of old covers, trivia, and history of Marvel Comics.
D
Jun 15, 2011 D rated it liked it
I would have liked it to be more focused on the creation of characters rather than the behind the scene production.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Comics
Nettie Lewis
Nettie Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Mats
Mats added it
Jul 14, 2016
Talia
Talia rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Gabe
Gabe marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Paul Johnson
Paul Johnson rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Intisar Srhir
Intisar Srhir marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Miguel David
Miguel David rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Elias Lara
Elias Lara marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Daniel
Daniel added it
May 17, 2016
Steve Hendricks
Steve Hendricks rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Marvel Reader
Marvel Reader marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Chayce
Chayce rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
TheGirlyDJ
TheGirlyDJ rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
Gary Nealy, Jr.
Gary Nealy, Jr. rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Jessica Blay
Jessica Blay marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
  • Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, and the American Comic Book Revolution
  • The Great Comic Book Heroes
  • Comic Book Nation: The Transformation of Youth Culture in America
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • Jack Cole and Plastic Man: Forms Stretched to Their Limits
  • Alan Moore: Portrait of an Extraordinary Gentleman
  • Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama
  • Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book
  • Houdini, Tarzan, and the Perfect Man: The White Male Body and the Challenge of Modernity in America
  • Anthology of American Literature, Volume 1: Colonial through Romantic