Start by marking “The Legend of Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching

The Legend of Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching

THIS IS THE LEGEND OF LAO TZU, who may or may not have been born; who may or may not have founded Taoism, one of the greatest religions in the world; and who may or may not have written one of the greatest books of wisdom in the world: the Tao Te Ching, or the "Way of Heaven."

This thoughtful and thought-provoking book opens with a biography of Lao Tzu, the mysterious philo

Published May 8th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching

Cheryl
Oct 24, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
How can one say that one as "read" the Tao Te Ching? I read the legend, I examined the pretty pictures, I looked over the sample verses. But this is a book to own, not just check out from the library. Or, better yet, treat yourself to a complete edition. For example, mine is the illustrated 0-394-71833-X and I do recommend it. The picture-book chooses verses too difficult/ abstract for children and therefore is of value only for the child-friendly art. Nonetheless I did enjoy it. Ah, paradox....
Lynn
Mar 25, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Wonderful children's book about Taoism. I was ignorant of the religion until a student of mine told me he was Tao and I didn't understand. This book is a wonderful introduction to the religion and really interesting to boot. I found myself very interested and should have read it before. Demi does a great job of presenting religion and culture in her picture books.
Ciaran Mealer
Jan 23, 2015 Ciaran Mealer rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little heavy for a picture book, the lessons would be better imparted on an older (8+) audience. I love the simplicity and starkness, both in the writing and in the illustrations. The pictures are minimal but rich and beautiful.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is a beautifully illustrated book about the life and legend of Lao Tzu, with 20 thought-provoking quotes from the text of the Tao Te Ching.
Heather Ingemar
Apr 03, 2009 Heather Ingemar rated it liked it
I loved the whimsical artwork in this, though I thought the text was a little hard for a children's book.
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2009
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Demi Hunt
Demi Hunt rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
Patrick M.
Patrick M. rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2011
Cathy Francis
Cathy Francis rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
LeAnn
LeAnn rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Raymond
Raymond rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2008
Stephanie Robillard
Stephanie Robillard rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
May 09, 2008
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Chiantal Albarando
Chiantal Albarando rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2011
Benjamin A.
Benjamin A. rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2011
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2013
Jenny Russell
Jenny Russell rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2012
Mike
Sep 24, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Marvelously illustrated.
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2011
Demi (September 2, 1942) born Charlotte Dumaresq Hunt, is an award-winning children’s book author and illustrator. During her career she has published over 300 titles.

Demi was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She is the great-grand daughter of the American painter William Morris Hunt, and the great-grand niece of architect Richard Morris Hunt. Demi earned her nickname as a young child when her fa
More about Demi...