Start by marking “Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  119,177 Ratings  ·  10,398 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of On Mystic Lake comes a powerful novelof love, loss, and the magic of friendship. . . .

In the turbulent summer of 1974, Kate Mularkey has accepted her place at the bottom of the eighth-grade social food chain. Then, to her amazement, the “coolest girl in the world” moves in across the street and wants to be her friend. Tully Har
Published February 5th 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Firefly Lane, please sign up.

Becky I think it's a fairly safe book for a teenage girl to read. I was very innocent during my teen years, so it would have been a little bit of a shock to…moreI think it's a fairly safe book for a teenage girl to read. I was very innocent during my teen years, so it would have been a little bit of a shock to my system to read a few things in there. But any teen who is in the midst of their adolescence and pushing their boundaries (my adolescence happened in my early twenties) would not be surprised by some of the problematic choices and events in the book.(less)
Deb Not really, the name of the street where the main characters grow up in called Firefly Lane. However, as they often remark, they never actually see…moreNot really, the name of the street where the main characters grow up in called Firefly Lane. However, as they often remark, they never actually see any fireflies there.(less)
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Best Adult Female Friendship Books
10th out of 475 books — 941 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettOne Day by David NichollsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen
ONE DAY Best Summer Reads
61st out of 1,766 books — 6,210 voters

More lists with this book...

Cleo Maranski
Feb 01, 2008 Cleo Maranski rated it did not like it
This book was such a disappointment. The characters were completely one dimensional and not at all interesting. The storyline was filled with cliches from every bad Lifetime movie. About three quarters of the way through, I somehow knew how it would end (because it was the one cliche that hadn't been hit yet). The book itself is primarily dialouge and not good one at that. Avoid.
Apr 19, 2016 Brina rated it really liked it
I give this book more of a 3.5 to 3.75. I start this with a disclaimer that I rarely read chick lit. If I feel the need to clear my head after reading a deeper book, I'll pick up a mystery, or maybe a middle grades kids book. Yet I had seen two friends, Elyse and Stephanie, write poignant reviews about Firefly Lane, so I let my curiosity get the better of me, and picked it up.
Firefly Lane is about the 30 year friendship of Kate Mularkey Ryan and Tully Hart. These two girls were brought together
May 13, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Hmm... well, I've never read "Beaches" (the book many reviewers compared this to) and I'm pretty sure I won't now. Firefly Lane was... meh. Two girls stay "best friends" through four decades and widely divergent paths. Only thing is, emotionally, they stay girls. They never really become women, never break their stupid patterns (and they really are stupid), never evolve.

The characters are 2-dimensional at best: Kate is spineless and weak, Tully is narcissistic and bitchy.

They consider themselv
Loved this book!! Beautifully written... Touching, funny, sad.

This is the third book by Kristin Hannah that I have read and I have enjoyed them all!!

Set in the 1970's- early 2000's in Washington State, it contains many references to music of the times that I found added to the story (maybe because I grew up at this time also...)!

Two early teen girls couldn't have been more different than Kate and Tully. Kate comes from a loving and supportive family and is a bit awkward socially. Tully's mothe
May 01, 2010 Holli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really and truly thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Thank you very much Lisa for letting me borrow this! What a great book. It began the year I was born and ended in present day and followed the lives of two best friends named Tully and Kate. I loved reliving the 70's and 80's and 90's with them, all of the pop culture references made this a fun journey. The book is much more than just pop culture though as it follows two young girls who grow into wonderful women with very different personalities. ...more
Mar 22, 2016 Elyse rated it it was amazing
Read years ago when the book was released!
Read Stephanie's's beautiful!!!

I was deeply moved - surprised I liked it so much ---mailed it to my sister. She loved it just as much.
I immediately read one more book, by Kristen Hannah...but when it didn't 'wow' me..
I didn't continuing reading more of Hannah's books - but FIREFLY...has a very authentic feeling to it - not pushed - not overly schmaltzy.

Sincerely touching!

Read Stephanie's great review!!!
Megs ♥
Feb 01, 2013 Megs ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, z2013-reads
Wow. Another emotional sucker punch book by Kristin Hannah. If you are in the mood for a tear jerker she truly never disappoints.

I wanted to read this one for a while, but only actually read it in anticipation of the next part, "Fly Away" being released soon. Also, I follow Kristin on Facebook, and this seems to be the book that all of her fans adore the most. I can see why.

I love books that tell a story through multiple decades. If the author does it right you can almost feel transported to a
May 24, 2009 Karen rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2008 Carolyn rated it did not like it
(audiobook version) I read this at the insistence of a friend. I had a feeling I wouldn’t like it very much; even though she’s a friend we have some very different taste in books. She went on and on and on about how good it was, but it was only so-so for me, as expected. Firefly Lane tells the story of two girls who become best friends at age 14. It follows them for over 30 years, from the 1970s into the 2000s. The book doesn’t break any new ground, really. For instance, did you know that being ...more
May 02, 2011 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley Thompson
Jan 03, 2011 Ashley Thompson rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2008 Terra rated it it was amazing
Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah is a breathtaking trip down memory lane. From 70's teens to 80's young women these two girls have more than a life time worth of memories both good and bad. The 90's usher in permanent choices and the new millineum tumbles in with, "What did I do with my life". The harsh realities of growing up aren't always kind.

Tully Hart is a product of the hippie era or as they say, "Sex, drugs and Rock & Roll". Being torn between living with her grandparents and the occasi
Oct 03, 2010 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
I cried so much throughout the last 20 or so pages of this book that my husband became genuinely concerned for my well-being. The conversation went pretty much like this:

Me: /trying not to sound like I'm crying
Him: "Are you ok?"
Me: "Yes, I'm fine."
Him: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes, it's just sad."

5 minutes later...
Him: "Are you sure you're ok?"
Me: "Yes! Leave me alone!"
Him: "It's just that you're crying really hard."
Me: "I know. I'm just a big sap."

5 minutes later...
Him: "Are you going to be all righ
Tina "coffee and books"
Aug 04, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
This was a lovely heartfelt story of two girls who meet in sad circumstances and find the most unlikely of friend. Beginning in 1970s Washington state, the story follows them as they grow from angsty teenagers into young women and beyond, through careers and failed relationships, children and more.

Tully and Kate are an unlikely duo, each perfectly imperfect, but somehow they cannot function without each other. One is callously ambitious, the other is more subdued. They fight, they fall out, but
Virginia Hill
Nothing I read about Firefly Lane could have prepared me for the moving story of Tully and Kate. Sure, I've read other books that were emotionally charged and brought me to tears. Several of them were also written by Kristin Hannah. She's a genius at writing human stories that make it impossible not to feel the emotions right along with her characters. This one though...this is an immeasurably touching depiction of family love & strife, career choices, and undying friendship. I haven't read ...more
Sep 21, 2014 Melinda rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, adult-fiction
A long, tiresome read. The 400-plus-paged novel relies on the characters' relationships to sustain the plot and reader interest, but those relationships, like the characters, are clichéd and two-dimesional and somewhat hard to believe. Also hard to believe are the personal stories of the characters — such as Tallulah Hart, who rises to success as a TV journalist, covering everything from individuals' crises to international affairs... only to host a daytime talk show called "The Girlfriend Hour" ...more
Sep 27, 2016 Tania rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub, fiction
Friendships were like marriages in that way. Routines and patterns were poured early and hardened like cement.

I did not like the first quarter of this book, I could not connect to the teenagers, and it felt like very similar personalities to the ones in Night road. Although I enjoyed the middle of the book more, I did not like Tully - according to me she is not best friend material, everything is her way or the highway.
I am a sucker for a book that makes me cry like a baby, and the ending did ju
Feb 26, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
Although I feel that the plot is somewhat formulaic (and there were parts that reminded me of the movie Beaches), the story is well-written and entertaining. I found I had trouble putting the book down, and when I wasn't reading it, I found myself thinking about the story. In one sense, I feel that the plot is a little bit predictable, but I didn't find myself minding it because the story itself and the way it's written is so engaging. It just makes you want to continue reading. A good read.
Jennifer Currey
Jul 29, 2008 Jennifer Currey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
This book was recommended to me and I took one look at the size and thought "there are like 15 books on my shelf right now that I want to read" but against my better judgement, read it and LOVED IT! By far, the best friendship book I have ever read. Each of my closest girl friends are getting a copy for Christmas. THIS IS A MUST READ!
Jul 31, 2008 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who has ever had a best friend
Absolutely loved this book! If you've ever had a best friend that you couldn't live without, this book is for you!

Kate and Tully become BFF in the summer of 1974 when they are both awkward teens. Tully is a wild, free spirit, whose mother is a drug addict and frequently absent from her life. Kate is a well-rounded, good-girl with two stable parents and a network of love and support. Tully wants so badly to have what Katie has and Katie is eager to be free of her overbearing mother.

Their tight fr
Mar 15, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, prequel, sickness
This was a great time period story, that took me back with all of the references to cloths, songs and sayings. An unlikely friendship is created when two girls are thrown together through geography and timing. Throughout their lives it becomes clear that one is a taker and one is a giver, yet somehow this becomes a complete recipe for a lifetime bond that is quite complicated but enduring.

This story truly shows how tragedies and successes shape and turn all of our lives. A 3.5 listen that was t
Mar 20, 2009 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
I loved this book.

This book begins with the friendship of Tully and Kate at age 12. They couldn't be any more different. Tully is a gorgeous, social free spirit, whereas Kate is awkward and tightly wound.

I was fascinated with this story of a long-lasting friendship as the two characters make choices about who they are and who they want to be. I enjoyed the references to music, pop culture, and news events as the girls pass through the 1970s, 80s, 90s, to present-day.

Read this book if you've eve
I am so glad I finally read this after having bought it over 2 years ago.

This was a chunky fat read that brought back such wonderful memories, as well as being a story I enjoyed. I think if you were coming of age in the mid-70's you may have much more appreciation for this story. So many songs and world events were so fresh in my mind as I read about them here.

So many people I know read this, that I had a vague idea of how the book was going to end but that didn't ruin any of the story for me. I
Mandy Sue
Aug 13, 2008 Mandy Sue rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: This book will hit home with everyone.
Recommended to Mandy Sue by: My Mom.
Shelves: fiction
Tully and Kate (TullyandKate) who both feel they are outsiders meet when they are in junior high. They are complete opposites destined to one another thanks to residency on Firefly Lane. After a horrible experience happens to Tully she confides in Kate and the two become best of friends. A friendship that spans over 30 years. The two promise to do everything together and through trials and heartbreaks they end up keeping that promise.

Kristin Hannah references all the styles, songs and major even
Aug 26, 2010 Joanne rated it it was amazing
"Firefly Lane is for anyone who ever drank Boone’s Farm apple wine while listening to Abba or Fleetwood Mac. More than a coming-of-age novel, it’s the story of a generation of women who were both blessed and cursed by choices. It’s about promises and secrets and betrayals. And ultimately, about the one person who really, truly knows you---and knows what has the power to hurt you . . . and heal you. Firefly Lane is a story you’ll never forget . . . one you’ll want to pass on to your best friend." ...more
Jan 22, 2008 K rated it did not like it
Gail (myJunegirls)
Mar 09, 2009 Gail (myJunegirls) rated it really liked it
Sometimes I love a good cry. Well, if you are like me, you'll love this book. I found it amusing, emotional, moving, reminiscent and sad. It had everything in it. I would highly recommend it for a guick read. It was a little predictable in that you knew something like the end was going to happen- but it didn't take away from the impact of the ending.
Jul 18, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
In the Summer on 1974, Kate Mularkey happened upon one of the most gorgeous girls she has ever seen; Tully Hart. Tully moved into the house across the street with her mother Cloud. Cloud (Dorothy Hart) is a pothead and didn't care much for her daughter at all. Since Tully never had the real family that she always imagined, she was essentially adopted by the Mularkey's as their second daughter. The girls got into the typical teenage trouble of sneaking out of the house, tasting alcohol and occasi ...more
Just finished but still can't see clearly through the tears. I will have a review soon.

OK, new day and my mind has cleared! For an overview of the book, click on Firefly Lane. If you decide to read the book, have a few Kleenex nearby.

There are three main characters: Kate, Tully, and friendship. Kate and Tully meet in 1974 when Tully moves to a house across from Kate on Firefly Lane. They promise to remain best friends no matter what: and that friendship lasts 30+ years through good times and ba
  • Summer House
  • The Memory of Water
  • Between Friends
  • Me & Emma
  • The Book of Bright Ideas
Kristin Hannah is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-one novels, including the blockbuster Firefly Lane and #1 bestsellers Night Road and Home Front. She is a former lawyer turned writer and is the mother of one son. She lives in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii with her husband.
More about Kristin Hannah...

Firefly Lane (2 books)
  • Fly Away (Firefly Lane, #2)

“That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips were down, they were there, making you laugh even in your darkest hours. ” 452 likes
“That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips were down, they were there, making you laugh even in your darkest hours.” 313 likes