Start by marking “Sin” as Want to Read:
Sin

Sin

Zakhar Prilepin s novel-in-stories, Sin, has become a literary phenomenon in Russia, where it was published in 2007. It has been hailed as the epitome of the spirit of the opening decade of the 21st century, and was called the book of the decade by the prestigious Super Natsbest Award jury. In the episodes of Zakharka s life, presented here in non-chronological order, we s ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Glagoslav Publications Ltd. (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin

Sophie Masson
Jul 01, 2012 Sophie Masson rated it it was amazing
A bestseller in Russia and now translated into English and published by the UK/Dutch publisher Glagoslav, this novel-in-stories about the life of a young man named Zakharka(not told chronologically but in glimpses of various times) is a quite extraordinary book, sensual, tender, funny, brutal and philosophical by turns. This is a very male voice yet though some have compared him to Hemingway, I don't think that gives any real sense of the flavor of this book, it's not macho or emotion-repressed ...more
Will
Jul 10, 2012 Will rated it really liked it
Zakhar Prilepin is one hell of a writer, and an interesting figure to boot. Sin is an exciting debut in English for one of one of Russia’s most popular and critically-acclaimed writers.

Though this is his first novel published in English, Prilepin has written a lot: four novels, three books of short stories, plus a couple of books of essays, plus he’s a full-time journalist writing for an independent newspaper he started in Nizhny Novgorod (the fifth-biggest city in Russia), where he lives, and h
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Aug 30, 2008 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers interested in contemporary Russia
Recommended to Lisa by: National Bestseller Prize Winner
Shelves: read-in-russian
Sin describes itself a novel in short stories – not quite accurate, since there is also a section of poetry – and each piece about a young man named Zakhar establishes its own mood. All the stories, though, combine threads of tenderness, rage, and тоска (toska), an untranslatable Russian word that represents a sort of soulful yearning and worry.

I admire Prilepin’s simple language and story structures, which reflect the everydayness of what he writes. Though at first they seem unremarkable, these
E.P.
Apr 14, 2017 E.P. rated it it was amazing
Zakhar Prilepin represents much of what is confusing and contradictory about contemporary Russia. And on the other hand, it's all absolutely simple. He's a pro-Stalinist member of the anti-Putin opposition, a writer who exposes the dark side of modern Russian life while volunteering in the army of the pro-Russian Donetsk People's Republic. Western readers may find these apparent contradictions frustrating, just as casual readers might find the organization of this "novel," which, like its spirit ...more
Marco Booker
Nov 21, 2012 Marco Booker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E' la prima opera di Prilepin che leggo e devo dire, non mi aspettavo così tanto da un autore così giovane (appena 37 anni, mi pare). E' stato sia un agente dell'OMON russo in Cecenia sia ..un becchino, un buttafuori e insommma ... ha svolto tutti lavori non proprio "tranquillissimi".

Naturalmente, dato un simile passato, ci si aspetterebbe un'esaltazione della guerra, un romanzo epico, oppure una denuncia della guerra quale culmine della follia umana.

Niente di tutto questo. Infatti Zakhar oggi
Antonina Sh
Aug 16, 2012 Antonina Sh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книга для меня в первую очередь должна быть эмоцией.
Ну ок, может быть, не всегда, но на данный момент.

Когда я сегодня села в парке с мокаччино ту гоу и Киндлом, листая, что бы почитать, подвернулась эта книга, привлекла тем, что это набор недлинных рассказов. Пока не дочитала "Какой случится день недели", не могла даже подняться со скамейки в парке. Весь спектр эмоций - от щемящей нежности до восторга, от тягучей тоски до детских всхлипываний. Меня накрыло. Ура. Даже не ожидала.

***
Как-то не ожи
Margarita
Sep 10, 2011 Margarita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian
I have to say that I am not sure the rating reflects what I found good or interesting about this book - I am jus not a fan of stories. Anyhing under 400 pages is not exactly my cup of tea, so it seems and I will be the first to admit, I have absolutely no appreciation for poetry, having been thoroughly turned off from it (but not from reading in general, au contraire) in Russian high school... Anyway, back to Prilepin's book, I absolutely loved the emotion in his "village" stories, but the most ...more
Susie
Dec 15, 2012 Susie rated it liked it
This book is a bestseller in Russia which describes moments in the life of a young Russian called Zakharka. The writing is quite different from what I am used to, and at times I struggled to stay interested. The stories are told matter of factly even though there is quite a bit of violence. It makes you feel like violence is quite routine in Russia. I think it is definitely worthwhile reading. I wonder if it is a true window into a perception of life common in Russia.
Mwanamaji
May 23, 2011 Mwanamaji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Прилепин необыкновенно точно выражает тоску.
Jim
Aug 08, 2016 Jim rated it liked it
In 2011 a special edition of the National Bestseller Award was presented to Zakhar Prilepin for his book Sin effectively naming it book of the decade. I was intrigued. Plus it was a novel-in-short-stories and that made me all the more curious. The book consists of eight stories and a few poems, snapshots from the life of a man called Zakhar or sometimes Zakharka (Russians and their diminutives) or, in the last story, simply ‘Sergeant’. How much of the author there is in Zakhar only he can say bu ...more
J.T.
Zakhar Prilepin's Sin was first published in Russian in 2007, and published in English in 2012.

Prilepin, like his namesake Zakharka in the novel, has worked as a security guard, a journalist and a captain in Chechnya. He is/was a writer for the opposition newspaper Novaya Gazeta. This novel is full of patriotic ambivalence. there are many references to the "Homeland" whether it is a pastoral idyll, urban nightmare or suburban wasteland.

"Sin" is a connected series of short stories mostly told in
Neil Gussman
Jul 12, 2016 Neil Gussman rated it it was amazing
Among the many praises of Leo Tolstoy is that he was a real combat soldier who maintained the sensitivity to write about both war and peace. Which he did most grandly in a famous novel with that very title: War and Peace. Tolstoy fought in the bloody Crimean War in the 1850s.

One hundred and fifty years later Zakhar Prelepin fought in the War in Chechnya in a Russian Special Forces unit. In 2007, barely three years after returning from the war, Prelepin published the Novel in short stories, "Sin.
Kevin Tole
Another new Russian and thank god more literate than Helmet of Horror and far better written than The Ice Trilogy.

This appears to be first hand writing from Prilepin. A series of short stories based upon his life. However if you were to take this on you would end up believing that all Russian males are either drunks / alcoholics, gangsters, bouncers or macho freaks till some exegsis happens and they become errrrr..... ordinary blokes with famillies.

Its a bit like reading Irvine Welsh without the
Nicki Markus
Oct 29, 2012 Nicki Markus rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first half of this book, finding the story and characters interesting and engaging. Towards the middle and into the second half, it did start to lose steam a bit and I found my attention drifting, but then it pulled back for a strong ending.

I thought the style of the novel worked well with the series of stories and it was certainly intriguing to see glimpses of characters at different stages of their lives, experiencing things in different ways.

It is a piece that in some way
Leish
Aug 30, 2012 Leish rated it liked it
I started out really enjoying this book. The story was told through a series of short stories, but halfway through the book I stopped caring. Then towards then end I got back into it. It was a very strange reading experience for me.

I do love novels that are told in short story form, however, I had a bit of trouble connecting in this particular novel. The middle section was just so hard for me to read, I don’t know if it was the translation or just a boring story, but it’s unfortunate that I had
Sergei_kalinin
Люблю тексты Прилепина. Уважаю самого автора. Но этот сборник - какой-то очень неровный. Восемь рассказов и стихи. Зацепили лишь три рассказа: про щенков, про вышибал и последний про Чечню. Были эмоции, было дыхание главных героев (по сути там один герой - альтер-эго автора, тоже Захар :)), был даже проблеск катарсиса. А вот остальные рассказы что-то не пошли, рыхлые какие-то :(. Хотя... м.б. во мне дело. Планирую сборник ещё перечитать.
Erin C.
Sep 05, 2012 Erin C. rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-read, ebooki
It's hard to say what I think about this book... Like my rating says it, it was ok, but I dont get the whole "bestseller in Russia" thing (although when you think about it, some very bad books that really can't compare to this one and that are bestsellers).
Don't get me wrong, this book made me smile more than once and even made me feel good at some point :)
Stepan
Mar 17, 2013 Stepan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Читая, не мог оторваться - так можно описать ощущения от этой книги. Очень вдохновляющая проза, точные фразы и прекрасный литературный язык. И высокий уровень откровенности - возможность почувствовать себя сопричастным к происходящим с главным героем событиям.
Mkooo
May 09, 2013 Mkooo rated it really liked it
I'll probably recommend this book to anyone whose interested in today's Russian literature, Zahar is a pretty good writer and down to earth human being and such is his writing - simple and effective. I give him 4 because I believe he could do even better.
Kylie
Jul 16, 2012 Kylie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kylie by: Zakhar Prilepin
Sad to say, i found this book really hard to get into, which has left me feeling extremely guilty as i won a copy of this book through the author at goodreads. There was nothing wrong with the story it's self, it was rather interesting, it just didnt grab me and pull me into it.
James Dante
Sep 19, 2014 James Dante rated it really liked it
Gritty look at Russia in her transitional stage. Breezy writing style. I'd like to see him write a novel.
Holly
May 29, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read for a long time, Russian or otherwise. An intense and moving book that made me want to read more of Prilepin's work.
Korfushka
Korfushka rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Maya Gavi
Maya Gavi rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2011
Sydney Goggins
Sydney Goggins rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Vlad
Vlad rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2013
Olja
Olja rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Marta
Marta rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
  • Poems of Akhmatova
  • Женщины Лазаря
  • The Journals of Kara and Jason
  • The Lost Button
  • Коронация, или Последний из романов (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7)
  • Дама с собачкой. Повести и рассказы
  • Sanin
  • Selected Poems
  • S. N. U. F. F.

“Тъй както птицата храна,
като изсъхнал посев - дъжд,
потърси с длан ти мойта длан.
Подадох ти я. И с една