Start by marking “Creeker: A Woman's Journey” as Want to Read:
Creeker: A Woman's Journey

Creeker: A Woman's Journey

Linda Sue Preston was born on a feather bed in the upper room of her Grandma Emmy's log house in the hills of eastern Kentucky. More than fifty years later, Linda Scott DeRosier has come to believe that you can take a woman out of Appalachia but you can't take Appalachia out of the woman. DeRosier's humorous and poignant memoir is the story of an educated and cultured woma ...more
Published June 21st 2002 by University Press of Kentucky (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Creeker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creeker

Shelli
Jun 09, 2011 Shelli rated it really liked it
It doesn't, or shouldn't, take any deep psychology as to why I enjoyed this book. I did. A lot. And mostly because, even though I didn't grow up in Eastern Kentucky, I recognized so many of the things that Ms. DeRosier talked about when she discussed the attitudes and traditions held on by the hillbillies and Creekers of the area. Reading this book made me understand some of the reasons my family operates the way it does. My grandmother was born in a holler. We have celebrated Decoration Day (Me ...more
Pam
Jan 21, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. As a school teacher who sees capable students, even gifted ones squander their educational opportunities, I could relate to her story. A quote that has stayed with me is "I graduated from high school with an IQ to die for and a head full of nothing." She also talks about the teachers who prepared her so that when she was ready she would have what she needed to get a college degree. I also was struck by her observations about what people assume about people from the hills of Ke ...more
Julie
Jan 07, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
This book took me forever "to get in to". The first third was very back and forth. Once she hit college it was all 5 stars from there. I loved her insights and they spoke to me in a very real way. As a woman who sometimes feels I have ended up in realy great places without making deliberate choices to be there I could relate much of the story.
Ginney Etherton
I understand that this is a popular book-club read, but much too long for my tastes. As such, it's a well-written memoir, and with Derosier's credentials it should be. I like that she added photographs, letters, and bits of dialogue to break up the narrative. She is funny at times, and soul-searching, as all memoirists seem to be. I'd say that this is a fair portrait of a time and a place.
Allison Blissett-White
Sep 24, 2012 Allison Blissett-White rated it really liked it
My husband's family is from Eastern Kentucky, and this book rings true to the attitude, steadfastness, and strong desire of the Appalachian woman. This could have been his grandmother, aunt, or cousin. I liked the way the book was narrated to include the reader as a part of the events as they unfold.
Gayla
Nov 03, 2013 Gayla rated it really liked it
I could certainly relate to this book, although I grew up in southcentral Kentucky. Many of the descriptions of her childhood and youth brought back my own memories of growing up among extended family where everybody in a community had some kind of tie. Families and friends got together to work, to celebrate, to live.
AR
May 16, 2012 AR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, memoirs
While this was written about life in the hollers of Appalachia, its voice, dialect, expressions, and stories reminded me so much of my life and that of my family in rural Central Georgia. This was such an enjoyable book to read and useful as well as I delve into my own past for my MFA thesis.
Sandra Jeppsson
Apr 19, 2015 Sandra Jeppsson rated it really liked it
This book becomes more intriguing half-way to the end. The character formation becomes more complex, with plenty of surprises. I was amazed at the openness and honesty displayed. It is a good psychology/sociology study.
Deanndra Hall
Sep 13, 2013 Deanndra Hall rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I may be a Kentucky native, but I'm not from the mountains (other end of the state). I'm fascinated by my Appalachian fellow Kentuckians and this book is a great introduction, not to mention a compelling story, By all means, read it!
Billie Sue
Aug 27, 2012 Billie Sue rated it liked it
I first read the book 10 years ago and just finished re-reading it for bookclub. My reactions and opinions of the book have changed. I wonder how much of that is due to the additional decade that I've been away from the hills. Hmmm.
Amy
Jun 26, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
This was an okay book. I like reading books about KY...and I like how this author talks about places that I know about.
Loretta
A woman telling of growing up in Appalachia that brought back memories and old sayings from my youth in the hills of Kentucky .
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2011
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Nichole Kullman
Nichole Kullman rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2013
Kathy Reiser
Kathy Reiser rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Tried Tru
Tried Tru rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Allison White
Allison White rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Victoriaholbrook
Victoriaholbrook rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Sharon Briggs
Sharon Briggs rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2010
Carolee
Carolee rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Kieran
Kieran rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Angela Campbell
Angela Campbell rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2009
Judy Miller
Judy Miller rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Kittybro60
Kittybro60 rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Jenny Belk
Jenny Belk rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2014
Debbe
Nov 13, 2011 Debbe rated it did not like it
I really didn't like this woman or her book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »