Start by marking “Food That Really Schmecks” as Want to Read:
Food That Really Schmecks

Food That Really Schmecks

In the 1960s, Edna Staebler moved in with an Old Order Mennonite family to absorb their oral history and learn about Mennonite culture and cooking. From this fieldwork came the cookbook Food That Really Schmecks. Originally published in 1968, Schmecks instantly became a classic, selling tens of thousands of copies. Interspersed with practical and memorable recipes are Stae ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Wilfrid Laurier University Press (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Food That Really Schmecks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food That Really Schmecks

Kerri
Dec 22, 2008 Kerri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
If you don't fall in love with Edna Staebler when reading her books, then you are dead inside.
Tracy
Mar 04, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This is the book that started my life long love affair with cookbooks. I read them like novels imagining the meals I could be preparing. This book is immensely charming and fun to read. Her cookies are great and her Neil Harbour bread recipe is my favourite bread recipe of all time.
Nancy Cousintine
Jun 09, 2016 Nancy Cousintine rated it it was amazing
I have no idea how many times I have read this book! I have a version of it on my PC and I have used the recipes for years. Edna Staebler books are always a great read! Lots of good stick to your ribs delicious food, and wonderful, humourous and often thoughtful anecdotes that make you feel all "homey" and "cosy". A cook book that you can read for the joy of it, as well as for the great time test recipes that will make your taste buds sing and your tummy round, and pleasantly full. If you like g ...more
Denise
Jul 01, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love to bake this book is a must for your kitchen bookshelf. I have literally made hundreds of recipes from this book.
Steve
Sep 28, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
classic, mennonite cook book. The canadian culinary award is called the Edna.
Angela
Jan 06, 2017 Angela rated it it was amazing
Love this book! It's like having a wise friend in the kitchen with you! When in doubt, just ask Edna. Not only a great reference, but such an entertaining read! A great cookbook is one that you want to read, even when you have no immediate plans of cooking! Page 154 - finding a warm place to let bread dough rise - is s favourite !
Beryl Johnson
Jan 08, 2014 Beryl Johnson rated it liked it
The original of this book did influence the way I've recorded recipes. The sidebars are such an important part! Upon rereading I felt Stablers writing was not as heart warming as I had thought but it was of huge interest to read that she was a writer who took this on as a project!
Renata
Feb 18, 2015 Renata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book since my university days in the late 1970's. Great recipes accompanied by wonderful stories and anecdotes.
Janine Werby
Janine Werby rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014
Laurie Stradling
Laurie Stradling rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Jeannette
Jeannette rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2009
Robert Pearson
Robert Pearson rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2009
Shelly M. Woolum
Shelly M. Woolum rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2013
Xiola
Xiola rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Kevin John McDonald
Kevin John McDonald rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2010
Tracey Wear
Tracey Wear rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
David Wismer
David Wismer rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Michelle Tabor
Michelle Tabor rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Wlu Press
Wlu Press rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2012
Daniel Siegel
Daniel Siegel rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014