Start by marking “The Voodoo Queen (Pelican Pouch Series)” as Want to Read:
The Voodoo Queen (Pelican Pouch Series)

The Voodoo Queen (Pelican Pouch Series)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Published March 1st 1984 by Pelican Publishing Company (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Voodoo Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Voodoo Queen

(shan) Littlebookcove
Jun 27, 2015 (shan) Littlebookcove rated it it was amazing

Witch? Sorceress? Daughter of Satan? Thief? Saint? Born in 1794, Marie Laveau reigned as the undisputed Queen of the Voodoos for nearly a century. Her beauty and powers were legendary, and caused her to be the subject of wild gossip throughout her life. She passed on her secrets to a favorite daughter, who helped her dominate the underworld of voodoo in New Orleans. "It is an absorbing tale, and the emotional undertones, the conflicts in her human relations, the overwhelming loneliness of her p
Erika
Sep 21, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it
I got this book 'cause I wanted to learn about Marie Laveau's life, little did I know it was a work of fiction. I was putting it off for a while till I came across this very same book on a Voodoo documentary, in which it was said the novel was full of lies and not well researched. My curiosity was piqued again and I started reading.
The book covers Laveau's life since she was 25 years of age until she's around 75 years old. It tells how she got into voodoo and how it changed her life, going from
VJ
Jul 12, 2010 VJ rated it really liked it
The fictionaly biography introduced me to the ways of voodoo as practiced in New Orleans in the 1800s by a free woman of color named Marie Laveau.

I learned that free people of color set themselves above and apart from the slaves, felt they were better than the black slaves, and were sometimes opposed to the abolition of slavery.

I learned that keeping the title of queen and control over the people among whom one did "work" often involved struggle with upstarts, some from within the queen's hous
Damien
Feb 10, 2008 Damien rated it liked it
When I first read this book, I thought it was great. How could you not love the Marie Laveau portrayed in this cheesy novel? Unfortunately, I did a lot of research when I lived in New Orleans (1995-2001), and have since learned many more accurate facts. Now I feel like Tallant tried to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge, and hell, I almost "bought" it.
But the first thing that bothered me was that the author tried to make Marie Laveau the consumerist representative of all things "New Orleans". Detail
Lori Villanova
Jul 28, 2014 Lori Villanova rated it it was amazing
Very interesting insight into history of New Orleans.
Geoff
Jan 27, 2008 Geoff rated it liked it
A fictionalized history of New Orleans Queen Voodooienne Marie Laveau. My favorite part was not the voodoo aspects, although that was interesting, but rather the descriptions of the French Quarter. Someone who likes to go to NOLA at lest once a year, I enjoyed the genesis of Congo Park (aka Louis Armstrong Park) and Jackson Square.

Not the quickest read, but rewarding if you like New Orleans.
Lyle Curry
Dec 24, 2009 Lyle Curry rated it really liked it
Just finished this, I loved it! Predictable at times and seems like it is always striving for that happy ending (throughout the entire book), but based on fact and folklore this explores the life of one incredible voodooienne in one incredible city (New Orleans) during an interesting time in Amer. history.
Jean
Oct 12, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it
Marie Laveau was quite an interesting and strong woman. Historically the book seemed accurate with yellow fever and cholera outbreaks, as well as the Civil War. Life went on for Marie with all the setbacks. I enjoyed the author's style of writing--this book was written in the 1950s.
DD Dagger
Aug 19, 2012 DD Dagger rated it really liked it

Yes this book is fiction! It says that in the preface. But I enjoyed reading it. It is interesting to get into the mind of this character. I got a feel for voodoo- though it was just a hint. I just wanted to go back in time a bit with a witch. Mission accomplished!
Barbara Townsend
Mar 06, 2013 Barbara Townsend rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed this book once I got used to the author's writing style (way too much telling for my taste). The author lets me peek into worlds I've never seen. I understand facts about Marie Laveau are scarce, but the author presented her as an interesting--and fallible--woman.
Holly
Aug 02, 2010 Holly rated it it was ok
Tallant has also written a nonfiction research of the life of Marie Laveau. I liked the information I gained about the laws and unwritten laws of colored segregation of the time that were unique to New Orleans.
Jillian
I bought this probably five years ago after a cemetery tour. I loved it! Fascinating how a little gossip and gris-gris can scare the living crap outta people!
Karin
Oct 27, 2012 Karin rated it really liked it
After just having visited New Orleans for the first time, I was inthralled with the story line. Well written and researched. Loved it.
Feb 11, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This was a fun look into old school New Orleans and into the woman, Marie Laveau, herself. It was worth the $7 at a NO tourist shop.
Elaine
Jun 26, 2010 Elaine rated it liked it
Marie Laveau 1794-1881. Most important Voodooienne to hve ever reined on this continent.Lived in New Orleans
Rosechimera
Rosechimera marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Susan Budd
Susan Budd marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it did not like it
Jun 03, 2016
Stine
Stine marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Cassidy
Cassidy marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Elle Ouellet
Elle Ouellet rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Raquel
Raquel rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
  • Intimate Enemies: The Two Worlds of Baroness de Pontalba
  • With Head and Heart: The Autobiography of Howard Thurman
  • Very New Orleans: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Cajun Country Charm
  • Go-Go Live: The Musical Life and Death of a Chocolate City
  • Tara Revisited: Women, War, & the Plantation Legend
  • The Goat-Foot God
  • Storyville, New Orleans: Being an Authentic, Illustrated Account of the Notorious Red Light District
  • Dangerous Muse: The Life Of Lady Caroline Blackwood
  • Bouncing Back: I've Survived Everything... and I Mean Everything...and You Can Too!
  • The Cute Book
  • Street Poison: The Biography of Iceberg Slim
  • The Death of Rhythm and Blues
  • Jen-X: Jenny McCarthy's Open Book
  • Now the Hell Will Start: One Soldier's Flight from the Greatest Manhunt of World War II
  • Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films
  • The Defender: How the Legendary Black Newspaper Changed America
  • A Boy Named Shel: The Life and Times of Shel Silverstein
  • Becoming Richard Pryor
Robert Tallant was one of Louisiana’s best-known authors. Born in New Orleans in 1909, he attended the city’s local public schools. Before “drifting” into writing, Tallant worked as an advertising copywriter, a bank teller, and a clerk. It was his friendship with Lyle Saxon that led Tallant to his position as editor on the Louisiana WPA Writers Project during the 1930s and 1940s. In that position, ...more
More about Robert Tallant...