Start by marking “Radio Freefall” as Want to Read:
Radio Freefall

Radio Freefall

In the tradition of Robert A. Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress but with a healthy dose of cyberpunk: Radio Freefall is about a plot to take over the Earth bypower-mad, sociopathiccomputer-geek billionaire, Walter Cheeseman. It's up to a strange cast of rock stars and oddballs to stop him.

Aqualung, a mysterious blues musician who also has superhuman tech skills, migh
Published August 7th 2007 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Radio Freefall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radio Freefall

Kris Sellgren
Dec 04, 2014 Kris Sellgren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This delightful SF novel's action ranges from Des Moines to space station Freefall. The CEO of a computer company (motto: "be evil") wants to take over the Earth (and the Moon). His embittered ex-employee wants his stolen invention back. The lead singer of a rock band is on the run from the mob. Add artificial intelligences and revolution, and the result is a fine first novel and a fun ride. Recommended for fans of nets 'n' drugs 'n' rock'n'roll.
Man Ching
Jun 16, 2008 Man Ching rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
(hardback). The book crams a lot of ideas: AI, evolved computer virus, music, a Bill Gates/Google stand-in, and even a space station and Lunar colony. It generally works well, and since the ideas are interesting, it makes a good read.

The story follows 2 characters as they grapple with the onset of a unified Earth government headed by the Gates surrogate. We have a rock star as one protagonist, and a geek programmer who worked for the evil corporation before getting canned. Both of them have link
Ken Richards
Jan 16, 2016 Ken Richards rated it liked it
In Matthew Jarpe's debut, a megalomaniac software billionaire wants to take over the world. Arrayed against this dastardly plan are a disparate bunch of rock stars and genius hackers who just might be able to mount a resistance, if they could keep off the drugs long enough to plan coherently. But with the assistance of our hero Quin Taber's very illegal AI sidekick, and a sentient computer virus, they might just pull the irons out of the fire. A pretty decent first novel.
Ben Eldridge
Dec 16, 2013 Ben Eldridge rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A serviceable novel, that never rises above an inoffensive blandness. Predictable plot, with some uncomfortable logical inconsistencies (particularly with regard to character). The novel felt surprisingly sterile for all its evocation of grittier social movements, and the whole countercultural phenomenon the book tried to implement ultimately fell sadly flat. Overloaded with sterotypes that never rose above their typicality... in a word, bland.
Elizabeth
Jan 29, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who really, really like science fiction
Shelves: gifts
The author is a former student of my advisor's, as can be told by a number of biological chemistry references in the story, such as the hit band Sex Lethal (a famous gene in sex determination in Drosophila) or the evil corporation LDL (low-density lipoprotein, colloquially known as "bad cholesterol").

Pleasant enough to read, if you like science fiction, but best not scrutinize the plot too carefully.
David
Dec 31, 2007 David rated it it was amazing
"Radio Freefall" was recommended to me by a friend who has read hundreds of books. I did not have a musical/band background, so much of that aspect of the book was new to me, but the futuristic picture painted by Jarpe was very realistic, as was his insight into geek culture. I enjoyed reading this book, and recommend it to any sci-fi or music fans.

Rob
Aug 26, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
Mix geek culture with rock band culture with drug culture, and put it all in the near-ish future, and you have a good read. This book is oddly compelling, and I look forward to more from this author.

I love it when I find such an original work at the local library. I make it a point to try a new author each time I head over there. This book made me continue the practice.
Mochnant
Jan 21, 2016 Mochnant rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun read, well written and interesting. It is very approachable and is even non-sci-fi fans will find a lot to love. It would also make a great movie. I challenge anyone to read it and not think of Jeff Bridges as Aqualung.
Brad Clarkston
Jul 25, 2009 Brad Clarkston rated it it was amazing

This turned out to be a great book. I'm not usually impressed with character based books (verses plot/world/galaxy builders) but this book's characters gripped me from the first page to the last.

I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of (semi)-cyber-punk and music in general.

- Brad
Michael O'Donnell
Nov 23, 2011 Michael O'Donnell rated it liked it
Easy to read. Not too bad for a first book. Aqualung was too good to be true. Plot was kind of predictable.
Kelley
Jul 14, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it
I admit, a lot of the jargon went right over my head, but this was an intriguing look at what the future could be like.
Adrian Dragon
Apr 10, 2010 Adrian Dragon rated it it was amazing
Maybe it's just me, but Radio Freefall felt like a fresh look at the future, well needed. Really enjoyable read, good fun. I am now afraid of the internet(irrational paranoia).
John Stark
Nov 06, 2011 John Stark rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, science, borrowed
Quick read. The story was engaging and through proving. Set in the not too distant future this novel explores the dynamics of technology, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness.
Scott Vilhauer
Scott Vilhauer rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
James
James rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2007
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2008
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2008
M
M rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Lori
Dec 20, 2010 Lori marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-not-yet-read
xmas present from friend
Singularity&Co. Bookshop
Singularity&Co. Bookshop rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2007
Sharan Volin
Sharan Volin rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2010
Kevin Mantle
Kevin Mantle rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2014
Brook
Brook rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Anders
Anders rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2008
Garrett
Garrett rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Tom(StarWarsHippie) Rankin
Tom(StarWarsHippie) Rankin rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
C Baker
C Baker rated it did not like it
Nov 01, 2014
N
N rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2009
  • Silver Screen
  • MultiReal (Jump 225, #2)
  • Principles of Angels
  • Necropath (Bengal Station, #1)
  • Counting Heads (Counting Heads, #1)
  • Nexus: Ascension
  • Hammerjack
  • The Digital Plague (Avery Cates, #2)
  • Tech-Heaven
  • The Sky People (Lords of Creation, #1)
  • Cyberabad Days
  • The Dry Salvages
  • Paradox (The Nulapeiron Sequence, 1)
  • Selected Stories
  • The Six Directions of Space
  • The Green And the Gray
  • The Magician and the Fool
I was born in St. Joseph, Michigan in 1966 but I grew up on a "farm" in Los Lunas, New Mexico. I use the scare quotes because we didn't actually raise much food, we just kept farm animals as pets. Well, we did eat the pigs and the chicken's eggs. I have a BS in Biology from the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, a well known party school in the Big Ten (where Big Ten refers to the ten ...more
More about Matthew Jarpe...