Start by marking “She Who Remembers (Kwani, #1)” as Want to Read:
She Who Remembers (Kwani, #1)

She Who Remembers (Kwani #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,547 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
An epic saga of love and adventure among the ancient people who built the mysterious hidden cities in the canyons of the Southwest. The novel of America's prehistory.--Jean M. Auel.
Published August 9th 1988 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about She Who Remembers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Who Remembers

Férial
Mar 17, 2016 Férial rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Because she is blue-eyed, 16 y/o Kwani is considered a witch by her people and is thrown out of her clan. And here starts her oh so boring story.

The (very short) prologue was intriguing enough as it involved Norses (yay Norse people). My joy was short-lived though. Unfortunately, the Norse were only mentioned so that we understand Kwani's eyes color (you know, they came, they killed and they raped -hence the blue eyes some indians got-).

And then, the story went like this :

Kwani : I'm alone in th
Melissa
She Who Remembers is the first book in the Kwani series by Linda Lay Shuler. A prehistoric fiction, it is compared to the Clan of the Cave Bear series quite often. And while I see some similarities, I don't think it's quite as engaging as that series.

Kwani is of the Pueblo, Anasazi actually. But because of her startling blue eyes she is accused of being a witch and driven from her home. It is during her wandering that she stumbles into the path of Kokopelli, a proud and mysticized trader that de
Angela
Dec 29, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever want to know who this Kokopelli guy is? You know the guy with the flute that's in so much native american art? Well, now's your chance. This books is a great mix of myth, fact, and entertaining fiction. I suggest it for anyone 18 and older. I think women would enjoy it more, as it focuses more on the female side of things. But I'd recomend it for men, too.

Keep in mind, if you decide to read this, that the first time I read it was in college. My Native American History professor had all of h
Hillary M.
Nov 17, 2014 Hillary M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
we judge too quickly, don't we, about so much, about so many people. this story takes outcasts and gives them a chance to tell us their story, as well as the outcasts giving others the same opportunity. an amazing bit of literature!
Doris
May 06, 2010 Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are interested in lives of North American southwest indigenous peoples before Columbus.
This book is interesting because it gives context to the pueblo ruins in the southwest. It has flaws, but it is a fiction book and as I see it, this book was researched well considering what information is available for "pre-history". The list of references at the end of the book is impressive. Lyn does a great job.

The book has been engaging all the way. It is a long book about a young 16 year-old Anasazi woman and her adventures in her growth. If you like the subject matter and are willing to
Julie
Jul 24, 2012 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was to be an “American pre history novel” about the ANAsazi Indians 1270 AD . I very much like well researched historical fiction and hoped for much from this book. The book jacket stated we would learn about KOKOpelli.
Oh what a disappointment. There was no clue that this would be A bodice riper romp {really rabbit skins}. I didn’t even find it amusing that Vikings were roaming the South west.
no from me .
Stephen
Jul 21, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Lay Shuler weaves the tale of an odyssey of self-discovery using the yarns of myth, legend and anthropology. A thousand years ago the culture of the Anasazi dominated an area the size of Ireland in the Four Corners country of southern Utah, southwestern Colorado, northwestern New Mexico, and northern Arizona. It was a male dominated culture but the wisdom of women was revered, especially that of She Who Remembers.

“Because men are bigger and stronger and can do harm to us, we must know how
Taylor
Sep 09, 2013 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun. Fantastical. A period fiction that takes you to a whole different world, set in a world I know - Southwestern U.S., only 800+ years ago - MESA VERDE. I picked this up right before going to visit the national park, and it completely changed my experience. I read all about and imagined Kwani's life - which the author took great care to craft from the best available archeology knowledge. So when I actually stepped into Mesa Verde, I didn't see a ghost town of lifeless abandonment, I saw all th ...more
Gaile
Jen
Nov 13, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Really pulled me in from the begining, and I was surprised by who I got the recommendation to read this from. Great love story and wonderful look into the lives of native americans. I love the way she paints a view of how everything looks, and I have been to some similar ruins when I was younger so that helped me paint the picture in my mind. I was also very interested to hear some of the legends (not sure how true they are but fun to think about) and the description of Kokopelli. A little longe ...more
Tori
I loved this book. It has been some time since I've read it, but I do plan on re-reading it. It is on my favorite's shelf and there is this novel's permanent place.
I love native american historical fiction, and this book was chock full of myth, fact, intrigue, heartbreak, etc. It is so easy to define with the main character as to me she felt like a real life person. Her character was written up and described so well.
I kept getting swept up in this novel, and to be frank was sad at it's ending. I
Marisa
Dec 09, 2014 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was a fantastic and engaging book that provides the context of the pueblo ruins in the southwest. Mixing fiction, myth and fact, Schuler has certainly done her research to create a compelling tale. Unlike some historical fiction, I never felt like I was receiving a dissertation, but rather the fact was cleverly woven into the story.

I went to Mesa Verde two summers ago and I think one of the motivating factors was actually having read this series. I’d highly recommend it to anyone intereste
Jeanette
Good read if you like books set from a historical angle. It reflects what the lives of early American Indians were like. It was rich in ceremonial traditions, hunting rituals, and described the landscape of the plains and deserts set around a story of a woman and the men who loved her. The author even worked in the Vikings making their way to the Americas and making markings and inscriptions on stones, which is now known as the Runestones in Heavener, Oklahoma. I have visited this historic site, ...more
Sharienne
Overall it was enjoyable. We know so little of thee social mores of the people of the Pueblos. So it is hard to break out of the standard historic fiction book outline. Given that the author had so little guidance of our heroine I'm willing to give the author a bit more leeway than authors writing about the Civil War period for example. If you are a fan of historical romances that are heavier on the history but still containing the Cinderella-story-romance remnants then you will find this a plea ...more
Carol
Dec 07, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I don't know how I missed this around its publication time. I'm glad I went to the slight trouble of requesting it via interlibrary loan. Your library might do it for you, too, if they don't still have it on the shelves. 1988 is the original publication date. [Update: Amazon seems to have the Kindle version free, and I can read the sequels for free on my Android phone with the appropriate app. Update Two: It's not free unless you try Kindle Unlimited, which eventually charges you by the mon ...more
Cait
Dec 21, 2014 Cait rated it really liked it
Shelves: hardback
Very much like Clan of the Cave Bear except the first few chapters would've filled a whole book if it was written by Jean M. Auel!

Really enjoyed this, didn't want to put it down.

Didn't always agree with Kwani's behaviour and she seemed to get through men (Wopio, Ute, Kokopelli, Okalake and Tolonqua) but she was a compelling character.

Will have to read the sequels. Book versions seem a bit tricky to get hold of but there are cheap ebook editions.
Ashley Brown
Pam Walter
May 13, 2016 Pam Walter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chic Lit. "Kokopelli's man part had swelled to astonishing proportions. LOL. Secretly, men envied the organ thrusting upward to such heights. PLEASE.
Kelsie
Apr 10, 2009 Kelsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It's a great story about an Anasazi women who is accused of being a witch and driven from her home. I have been studying the Pueblo people in one of my classes, and this story has a ton of historical accuracy. I couldn't put it down, and at the end, I had to run to the library to get the 2nd book to see what will happen to Kwani.
Natalie Golbitz
Mar 09, 2015 Natalie Golbitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

well written, edited almost to perfection, great story line. also brilliantly interesting. loved this book. it is very long, but kept my interest. with a magnificent heroine, who goes through too much to be true, it is a captivating story.
Scarlet Blu
Sep 03, 2008 Scarlet Blu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Shueler is North Americas answer to Jean Auel... Her characters tranverse the continent and through them we learn about all number of paleoindian and later societies. I would recomend them to anyone who enjoys Auel.
Little Fish
Jun 30, 2009 Little Fish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute FAVORITE BOOK about an Anasazi woman who was ostracized because she had "Blue" eyes.
We haven't learned anything have we. We still find something to hate about one another, don't we?
Samyuktha Ell
Nov 26, 2015 Samyuktha Ell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stumbled upon this book on Kindle and decided to give it a try. Must say I absolutely loved it. It's a great read.
Clare O'Beara
Kwani is a southwest-American girl whose father was blond with blue eyes, probably a Viking, and she has blue eyes. The story is entirely realistic about the bargains women had to make with men to get food and shelter.

When Kwani travels to a cliff dwelling town she sees how corn is grown to feed large numbers of people, the women doing the work of growing and grinding the corn, making pottery and baskets, while men hunt for a deer to add to the pot.

Kokopelli is a travelling musician whose flut
Fiona Hurley
I loved the idea of setting a story in pre-Columbian America. Unfortunately, the writing was too clunky to really bring it to life. Additionally, the heroine was rather stupid and never learned from her mistakes, and the main "love interest" was a selfish and charmless man.

The worst part was when Kwani was taken in by a new tribe and almost instantly promoted to "She Who Remembers". "She Who Remembers" is supposed to be the highest-status woman in the tribe, keeper of ancient wisdom. The role w
Angel
I really wanted to like this book. There was something so tragic about the girl - she made one bad situation worse after another. Drove me crazy. All she wanted was a man? Ugh. Every man in the book wanted her. She took what she wanted and destroyed lives in the process. Worse -she justified every bad decision she made and didn't understand anything could be her fault (or make any growth as a character).

All anyone though of was sex. Even when worried about weather, witches, ilness, or raiding w
Liz Wood
Aug 26, 2016 Liz Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Traveling, seeing the wonders of a thriving nature-based culture spread across the southwest, trying to reconcile two vastly differing cultures: these are the overarching themes of the story. However, the self-learning, the changing perceptions of love and romance, and the human ability to care for multiple people paint an intense personal picture of the characters.
Julie
Aug 04, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story-telling. Before America was settled by white people, there were many other people already here and this is one story of that time. Kwani is a young woman exiled from her tribe because she has blue eyes and is thought a witch. The story unfolds as she tries to survive alone and then survive when she is not alone. The story takes place in what is now the Four Corners area of the United States, which is an area that I love so learning more about the Anasazi culture was fascinating ...more
Nancy Wilkinson
Apr 21, 2016 Nancy Wilkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good! It gives a wonderful appreciation of what may have been the Anastazi culture and was colored with glimpses of the differing beauties of that part of the US.

The characters were full and rich and believable, full of human passions - both good and bad. A wonderful story, and was long enough to fully develops both characters and storyline.
Miss Teresa Scanlan
Thought provoking journey

This is not my usual type of story but nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Some of the events are tragic but shows a strength of character that I think we could all use a little of. The historic elements of tribal life is somewhat fascinating. A story full of suspicion, magic and heart.
Not as good as I had hoped for... 1 7 Jun 28, 2013 07:29PM
  • Mother Earth Father Sky
  • Beyond the Sea of Ice (The First Americans, #1)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)
  • Pocahontas

Kwani (3 books)
  • Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)
  • Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)

“Time is like constellations that swing in a great circle in the sky’s vast bowl. There is no beginning, no end; all returns again and again, forever.” 4 likes
“Beauty before me, Beauty behind me, Beauty above me, Beauty below me, I walk in beauty. Smoke” 1 likes