Start by marking “The Princeton Companion to Mathematics” as Want to Read:
The Princeton Companion to Mathematics

The Princeton Companion to Mathematics

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  689 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This is a one-of-a-kind reference for anyone with a serious interest in mathematics. Edited by Timothy Gowers, a recipient of the Fields Medal, it presents nearly two hundred entries, written especially for this book by some of the world's leading mathematicians, that introduce basic mathematical tools and vocabulary; trace the development of modern mathematics; explain es ...more
Published September 28th 2008 by Princeton University Press (first published October 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Princeton Companion to Mathematics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princeton Companion to Mathematics

Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. HofstadterFermat's Enigma by Simon SinghFlatland by Edwin A. AbbottThe Code Book by Simon SinghZero by Charles Seife
Best Books About Mathematics
43rd out of 204 books — 333 voters
The Complete Works by William ShakespeareThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleBeowulf by UnknownThe Iliad by HomerThe Odyssey by Homer
Deserted Island Shelf
14th out of 42 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonas Andersson
So, I will probably never finish this; as i step through my college math classes it works as a handy reference. I can gleam an intuition on concepts that have me muddled. It covers what I would imagine to be everything we know about math. I can also use it to hammer nails and subdue burglars.
 SaЯRah Muhammad
The Princeton Companion to Mathematicsis a friendly, informative reference book that attempts to explain what mathematics is about and what mathematicians do. Over 200 entries by a panel of experts span such topics as: the origins of modern mathematics; mathematical concepts; branches of mathematics; mathematicians that contributed to the present state of the discipline; theorems and problems; the influences of mathematics and some perspectives. Its presentations are selective, satisfying, and c ...more
Nick Black
finally spent some serious quality time with this, reading it through aside from those sections (only about 1/4; not too bad, not too bad!) of which i could make neither heads nor tails, lacking too many years' preparatory material (primarily the geometry. analysis and algebra were both just wonderful, especially since they got the magnificent Terrence Tao to write most of the analysis). i think i actually finally learned some calculus of variations from this exercise -- hurrah (lord knows it's ...more
So Hakim
Just five words: "General Map of Mathematical World".

No, you're not supposed to read it from beginning to the end. No, you're not supposed to know it all by heart. But use it as reference, check which area you want to know, and you will be happy (-ier).

(ignoring that advice may lead to psychological hazard)
Dimitrios Diamantaras
Nov 14, 2008 Dimitrios Diamantaras marked it as to-read
The editor is Timothy Gowers, not Imre Leader, who is listed as the second of two associate editors, the first of whom is June Barrow-Green. A recent purchase from Amazon, this is a beautiful book, to be read in bits here and there and savored for the exquisite beauty of the mathematics it surveys. I am one of those people who seek out mathematical texts to read for pleasure.
Ben
Amazing book. The most amazing, encyclopaedic overview of mathematics ever written. This is the book a mathematics lover wants to take with him to the desert (along with Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers by Jan Gullberg, another take-me-with-you-when-you-get-to-a-deserted-island book).
Christina
This hefty tome is an extremely comprehensive reference work. If you want to find out the general basics of a field of mathematics, chances are it's in here. The shear amount of breadth means it's not nearly as comprehensive on depth, but that's not its purpose. I think it gives a good, overall picture of the state of mathematics today.
Carol
This is a reference book to put on your shelf, as you would a dictionary. Don't try to read it through.
Linda
This is a thorough and outstanding reference to the more complex ideas in mathematics. It also has a lengthy section on biographies of noteworthy mathematicians and the history of mathematics. Other sections include concepts, branches of mathematics, theorems and problems, influences,, and perspectives. Not one for the bookbag though, at 1034 pages. I do refer to it often, however!
Imran Qureshi
you can't actually finish this book like you can't finish a dictionary...but of the articles in this book, it gives a very good reference to any kind of math and shows you more. I wish there was more emphasis on applications and real world examples.
BB
Dec 11, 2012 BB added it
Shelves: non-fic, math
Both teaching and rational inquiry, at their creative and inspired best, thus lead us to the very threshold of ultimate mystery and induce in us a sense of profound humility and awe.

~~~ Theodore Meyer Greene
Cario Lam
May 16, 2015 Cario Lam is currently reading it
Another book that has won a place in my shelf that I keep coming back to perpetually. This book was not really meant to be read cover to cover. Each individual essay can stand on its own.
Arun Kumar
Excellent companion/reference book to delve into pure mathematical concepts, theorems and many more in mathematics. I have not read this completely, but started refering to it frequently.
Amar Pai
Good for a lifetime... open to any page, you find something interesting. Also the book cover feels lovely... what is it made of? Velvet-paper or something?
Prabath
I have not read the entire book. I use this book as a reference.
Greg
Jul 12, 2009 Greg added it
incomprehensible
DJ
Nov 12, 2009 DJ marked it as to-read
Shelves: math, priority
a buffet of maths
Brendan Shah
Brendan Shah marked it as to-read
Shyam
Shyam marked it as to-read
Manoila George
Manoila George marked it as to-read
Tyler Macfarlane
Tyler Macfarlane marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Bander77
Bander77 marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Tugrul Akyuz
Tugrul Akyuz marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Francisco Rodríguez
Francisco Rodríguez marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
دعاء مقدادي
دعاء مقدادي marked it as to-read
Veith
Veith marked it as to-read
  • Proofs from THE BOOK
  • What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods
  • Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers
  • Principles of Mathematical Analysis
  • Visual Complex Analysis
  • Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty
  • Topology
  • Proofs and Refutations: The Logic of Mathematical Discovery
  • Journey through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics
  • Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
  • How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • The Mathematical Experience
  • The Mathematical Theory of Communication
  • How to Prove It: A Structured Approach
  • Men of Mathematics
Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction The Importance of Mathematics. a Lecture by Timothy Gowers מתמטיקה The Millennium Meeting Collection

“It is a remarkable phenomenon that children can learn to speak without ever being consciously aware of the sophisticated grammar they are using.” 2 likes
“Can we have genuine knowledge of space without ever leaving our armchairs?” 1 likes