Start by marking “A Feather On The Breath Of God: A Novel” as Want to Read:
A Feather On The Breath Of God: A Novel

A Feather On The Breath Of God: A Novel

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A haunting, heart-rending first novel by an award-winning writer that speaks to the difficulties of forging an identity in a world of different cultures--and to the complexities of familial and sexual love. "An impressive debut."-- "Atlantic Monthly" "A forceful novel by a writer of uncommon talent." "--New York Times Book Review"
Paperback
Published January 10th 1996 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Feather On The Breath Of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Feather On The Breath Of God

Daniel Clausen
Title: Voices of Authority in Sigrid Nunez’s Feather on the Breath of God

Honest. Beautiful. Unique.

Sigrid Nunez’s Feather on the Breath of God is the closest thing I've found to a perfect novel. I suspect I will read this book several times, reverse engineer it, and try to divine its secrets.

Some of the elements are easy to recognize. The book emphasizes fallible memory, fragmentation, free association, and montage--styles that resist attempts to totalize meaning. In my experience, many great
Leah Shafer
My friend Catherine and I recently joined The Writer's Garret here in Dallas and saw the two-hour interview with Rick Moody at Theatre Three last month. It was tremendously enjoyable--his perspective on the craft of writing had me furiously scribbling notes in the dark. But I was sad not to have read any of his novels beforehand (The Black Veil, The Diviners, The Ice Storm). I imagine it would have made the experience all the richer.

On the 27th of this month, Sigrid Nunez is being interviewed a
Kasey Jueds
What I kept thinking over and over as I read this book is how incredibly true it feels--as if I were looking right through the words to the author's deepest heart. Late in the book, there is a description of a certain kind of sex feeling like not only one's clothes, but one's skin, had been peeled away--and the writing here seemed to me to have the same absolutely naked quality. Spare and strange and heartful, and unusually structured--in a way it's like four separate essays (on the speaker's fa ...more
Susan Carpenter
Jun 26, 2010 Susan Carpenter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love contemporary literature
Recommended to Susan by: I heard about the author. It is her first.
The writing of "A Feather on the Breath of God" is as wonderful as the promise held out by its title: clear, deceptively simple language, with shining threads and dark threads woven through the story of the daughter of two immigrants growing up in New York City. There are four sections: the first is about her father, born in Panama of a Chinese family, never fluent in English, showing love chiefly by his incessant toil. The second section examines the mother, a German immigrant who loves reading ...more
Phoebe
My favorite of Sigrid's books!

(I can call Sigrid by her first name because I took a class with her ten years ago at Smith College and plan to keep bragging about it for the rest of my life.)

She has this non-linear, mostly plotless style that takes some getting used to, but her punctuation is amazing (seriously! it inspires me!) and her prose is just so lovely.
Barbara
This is a beautifully written book. It focuses on the experiences of a daughter of immigrants and the various sections of the book illuminate the experiences of a biracial woman with indepth portraits of her parents, who nonetheless remain a mystery to her. I loved this author's book The Last of Her Kind.
Shannon
Sigrid Nunez speaks both to the common experience of the immigrant, the challenges and joys and prejudices he or she faces, as well as her own unique position in her family, in the projects, in her sexuality, and in her identity. With beautiful descriptions about her relationships with her father and mother, as well as her love for and self-expression in the art of ballet, and finally the provocative and eye-opening relationship she carries with a Russian immigrant studying English as a second l ...more
bookczuk
I picked this up at thhis year's BookFest-- what a treat to read! I'm not sure I could describe it well, but when reading, I was absorbed in each separate section and character. I picked up the author's second book, as well, and look forward to reading that, soon.

From the Publisher

In this profoundly moving novel, a young woman looks back to the world of her immigrant parents: a Chinese-Panamanian father and a German mother who meet in post-war Germany and settle in New York. Growing up in a hou
Justin Evans
This was really disappointing; I loved Salvation City, which was poised, objective, intelligent and clear. This is rapturous, deeply personal, irrational and unreflective. Now, it just so happens that the book pushes almost every button on my pad of "Things I Dislike." A brief list would include:

* attempts to use language as a metaphysical analogy for everything.
* unnecessary mentions of The Body as metaphysical analogy for everything.
* belief that the real problems of the world are problems of
liz
The protagonist's father is Chinese but from Panama, her mother is German. They can barely communicate with each other, but somehow managed to fall in love in Germany, then out of love in Brooklyn. The book traces her life as she tries to interpret each of her parents' broken English, and her later romance with a Russian-speaking Ukranian gangster immigrant. I enjoyed it because of how it examines how language influences experience, as well as ideas of where home is, and what solace we can find ...more
Gabriel Oak
The novel doesn't have a conventional plot. Instead, the narrator's family life unfolds in a series of narrative fragments, some of them no larger than a sentence, some as long as a few pages. This is both the book's strength and its weakness. On the one hand, Nunez knows how to use the fragment to her advantage, exploiting its indeterminacy and sense of mystery. On the other hand, the narrative voice lacks both motivation and a convincing sense of self-reflection in the end.
Kathleen Wilcox
Filipa Calado
The voice of the narrator will trick you into thinking this is an autobiography. Which is a sign of the author's skill. This book delves into some serious psychological issues about family, immigration, and language. There are some lovely passages about dancing and the rigorous and detonated life of ballerinas. The whole novel reads like a whisper in your ear.
Justin
The story of a half Chinese, half German girl growing up in the NYC projects. It's broken up into 4 sections; the first two, covering the lives of her parents and her relationship, are excellent; the third, about her time as a ballet dancer, was kind of boring, but at least it was short; the final section is about her relationship with a Russian junkie/pimp/cab driver--it's hilarious and poignant.

I'm definitely not the target audience for this book, but I enjoyed it. The writing's lyrical, and t
Carol
Read forever ago....loved when I read it.
Catherine Bliss
Sigrid Nunez speaks well for how it feels to be a girl and a growing woman. It's surprising to me that she is older than my mother, but describing mental and emotional states that even I can relate to. Sometimes her feminist and literary references date her and sometimes her language is too stuffy for what she's trying to convey, but she's a very down to earth writer. I had that problem where I kept thinking this was nonfiction.
Sigrid Nunez always writes beautifully. She is especially good at evoking the sense of what it is like to observe another person and to try to understand them. Through sharply observed details, she paints a portrait of her rather painful relationships with her parents, a lover, and her own body. It's a sad, poetic book that skillfully replicates the experience of being privy to someone else's innermost thoughts and feelings.
Ruth
This is a novel about a woman growing up in NY with immigrant parents: the dad is half-Chinese and half-Latin American and the mom is German. It's a coming-of-age story about her relationship with her parents, with ballet, and later, with her Russian immigrant lover. Solid but not mind-blowing. I wonder if it's at all autobiographical, coming from an author by the name of Sigrid Nunez?
Larissa
This book instantly pulls you in with the first chapter about the authors father. Nunez is able to build a story of a man she barely knows based on her faulty memories, unknown answers and collaged information. The story continues with a look at her mother and then finally at herself. I look forward to reading more from this writer.
Misha
I loved this book both times I read it. It's about a Chinese-German young woman who has an affair with a Russian immigrant with a seedy past. She evokes her parents and childhood so poetically. I think it's semi-autobiographical. Sadly, the library where I work doesn't own it anymore, otherwise I would be talking it up!
cory
she's an amazing author. all the books of hers i've read are kind of like memoirs, this one's the closest to her own life, i think. she addresses deep shit in a really matter-of-fact way, and she's got a great ability to get in the heads of lots of different kinds of people. i'll pretty much read anything by her at this point.
Lauren
I found the first part (of four) of this book amazing. I didn't think that the following three sections, while very good, could hold up to the power of the first part. That's why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. But overall it was a beautiful and insightful book, highly recommended. Also, it's a very quick read.
Brandylien
Though this book is classified as a novel, there are a number of autobiographical elements to it (which is not unlike many novels), most identifiably the issue of being mixed race. The narrative is elegant and sparse, much like that of Marguerite Duras's The Lover. The style lives up to and mimics the title.
Ines
Nov 26, 2007 Ines rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lit-critters
So I fell in love with that other novel and decided to tackle this one, but it didn't hit home in quite the same way. I think for folks interested in analyzing identity, migration, parent relations (and the sort) - this book is for you. It may have been the wrong book at the wrong time for me.
Felicia Blasi
Got this book for .50 at a library sale, and it is truly captivating and while I haven't finished it yet, I recommend it.
Now that I'm done w/this novel, I highly recommend it to readers of Joan Didion perhaps; the prose style is similar to Didion's and the effects are quite compelling.
Jessica
The main character in A Feather on the Breath of God is struggling to find her cultural identity. Her parents are a Chinese father who grew up in Panama and a German mother. An honest & insightful novel about a girl trying to find out who she is.
AJ Duric
Classic immigrant tale from the perspective of a first-generation American woman with parents from different nations who searches for an identity upon which to build a psychologically secure life.

A month later, I barely remember this novel.
Peter Basta
I met Sigrid at Blue Mountain Center in September of 1992, shortly after the cover story in this volume was first published. I haven't read it again in the intervening twenty years, but her prose is imprinted upon my memory. Heartbreaking.
Gili
Uneven. Sometimes I couldn't put the book down and then a paragraph or two later I had to force myself to focus on what I was reading. If I could give it a 2.5, I think that might be more accurate...except when it was more like a 3 or a 3.5.
Dana
A strange, small book - the narrator is damaged and hurting but resilient. Dealing with less-than-ideal family relationships and love affairs, it is beautiful and raw at the same time. Not for the emotionally squeamish.
  • Monkey Bridge
  • That Summer in Paris: A Novel
  • Wandering Star
  • Stranger in My Own Country: A Jewish Family in Modern Germany
  • Lightning Field
  • All I Asking for Is My Body (Kolowalu Book)
  • Country of Origin
  • Das große Los
  • The Not-So-Star-Spangled Life of Sunita Sen
  • The Passionate Mistakes and Intricate Corruption of One Girl in America
  • No-No Boy
  • Anständig essen: Ein Selbstversuch
(Photograph Marion Ettlinger, 2005)

Sigrid Nunez is the author of six novels: A Feather on the Breath of God, Naked Sleeper, Mitz: The Marmoset of Bloomsbury, For Rouenna, The Last of Her Kind, and Salvation City. She is also the author of Sempre Susan: A Memoir of Susan Sontag. She has been a contributor to The New York Times, Harper's, O Magazine, The Believer, Tin House, and McSweeney's, among o
More about Sigrid Nunez...
The Last of Her Kind Salvation City Sempre Susan: A Memoir of Susan Sontag For Rouenna: A Novel Mitz The Marmoset of Bloomsbury