Start by marking “The Pope of Greenwich Village” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Pope of Greenwich ...

Vincent Patrick

The Pope of Greenwich Village

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Charlie and Paulie consider themselves “family” even though they are only fifth cousins. Neither of them is 100 percent legitimate but they are not heavy thieves either. They beat the system as best they can with the various inside hustles of New York’s bar and restaurant scene.

Charlie, managing a Village restaurant at age thirty-five, needs one shot to realize his dreams
Published June 2nd 1984 by Pocket (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Pope of Greenwich Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pope of Greenwich Village

Dave Eisenstark
Sep 04, 2014 Dave Eisenstark rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It reminded me of The Friends of Eddie Coyle, another favorite. Lots of low-life but lovable characters, involved in crime but not that good at it. No criminal masterminds, no genius cops, just a sea of gin, disappointment, betrayal and corruption. The tribal NYC scene is always a shock to someone like me, who grew up where people weren't quite so pigeonholed as Irish, Jewish, Polish, Italian, etc., so blatantly right out of the gate. The plot here is pretty basic, and as compe ...more
Ranjit
Jun 28, 2010 Ranjit rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Great, very politically incorrect dialogue; loser characters that are not quite likable but somehow very compelling; and a depiction of NYC mob life that must have influenced "The Sopranos." Anyone who liked "The Sopranos" or "Pulp Fiction" should give this a try. Can't wait to Netflix the movie.
Rory Costello
Oct 22, 2015 Rory Costello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An old favorite of mine. I must have read it first more than 25 years ago. Very funny, especially all the little stories that the various characters tell, and full of dodgy New York street life. The movie was quite good, and it was very well cast (with a great array of character actors). However, I still like the book better. I thought it had a great structure in addition to all its fine details. It's also head and shoulders above his second book, "Family Business".
Link
Dec 22, 2013 Link rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, crime
The plot is lively and unpredictable. The dialogue is entertaining, often funny and ironic. Several of the major characters are multidimensional and thrust by circumstance into crime and other risky courses of action. There are several supplementary stories told within the dialogue that are fascinating. The book almost reads itself, if that's possible.
Naomi
May 16, 2009 Naomi rated it liked it
If you like stories of 'wise guys', you'll like this one. A forerunner of The Sopranos genre. The first novel of this author in 1979.
Veronica Harris
Jan 23, 2016 Veronica Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(A+)
Sandi
A very good read which hit all the elements I like in a crime novel. Great characters who, while not at all admirable, were very realistic. I found myself really caring what would happen to them. Loved the straight-ahead no frills plot and the gritty New York City in the seventies setting.
Scott
Mar 02, 2009 Scott rated it liked it
Wanted to like this more than I did. Interesting reading a book set in the neighborhood where I work, more or less. The changes, obviously, are dramatic. I'd really like to see the movie version of this now, what with all the Mickey Rourke hoopla we've been enjoying in this, the early part of 2009.
Anthony Faber
Oct 31, 2012 Anthony Faber rated it really liked it
Crime novels aren't really my cup of tea (I checked this out because it was mentioned in the Greenwich Village Kids 1960s Facebook group) but this was an enjoyable read.
Jeff
Oct 18, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it
I just saw part of the movie and it reminded me that I read this long ago. The book was a little better.
Ed
May 18, 2010 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop, re-reads
a very good book that was made into a very good movie.
Michael Lauro
Nov 27, 2009 Michael Lauro rated it really liked it
New York cool....
Chris Knox
Chris Knox marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Joseph Rigo
Joseph Rigo rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Kgrubbs
Kgrubbs rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Oddvincent
Oddvincent rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Beth Syverson
Beth Syverson marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Jrice626
Jrice626 marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Rue
Rue rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Drew Donnelly
Drew Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Charlie Silvano
Charlie Silvano marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Darlene Young
Darlene Young rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2015
Chris Ingalls
Chris Ingalls marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015