The Complete French Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke

The Complete French Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  14 reviews
English translations accompany the original French text of Rilke's poems about nature, art, work, mythology, and mortality.
Published September 1st 1986 by Graywolf Press (first published 1984)

André
Rose, oh pure contradiction, joy
of being No-one's sleep under so many
lids.

--- uma tradução para inglês do cativante epitáfio de Rainer Maria Relke.

Este homem autríaco foi, e para sempre será, considerado um dos maiores poetas da língua germânica. Daí ter-me aventurado a ler um livro de poemas em francês, deste autor, foi um pouco ousado... (irei ler os germânicos quando terminar a minha aprendizagem da língua).
Gostaria de introduzir uma citação que melhor exprime o meu sentimento de individualid...more
Amanda
I am working my way through a lot of Rilke all at once, but this is the first text I've managed to get the whole way through. I read it in both French and English, a poem (sometimes a section) at a time. It is interesting to see how he works in his second language, and to be able to read it in mine. Clearly a clumsier and altogether more variable body of work in terms of quality than something like the Duino Elegies, but a really good read with some gorgeous passages.
Disclaimer: this review only applies to five poems out of the book (they were set to music by Morten Lauridsen). Technically I sang these, not read them, but singing a poem regularly over a period of three months does not seem like a bad way to gain appreciation of it to me. These are beautiful, and I plan on reading more now that i've been introduced to them.

-C'est nous qui t'avons proposé de remplir ton calice
-Contre qui, rose
-De ton rêve trop plein
-J'ai une telle conscience de ton être, rose...more
Em
Oct 09, 2010 Em rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Em by: Erick Cloward
Shelves: own, poetry, read-2010
Ben
Aug 26, 2007 Ben rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Rilke's French poems are, I think, a distinct body of work. He has a different kind of voice when writing in French. They are simpler, yet more mysterious than his German poems. He will meditate on a single image (the rose, the window) across whole volumes, developing its relationship with the author, the reader, and the imagery that surrounds it.
Jose Araguz
Rilke is the man.

In his French poems, he goes for it with a eye for detail and spirit that proves him as much sorcerer as poet. Some of the poems here have been favorites for a while.

Here's what I said about it on my blog: http://thefridayinfluence.wordpress.c...
Daniel Abdal-Hayy Moore
Hearing this great German poet writing in French is actually illuminating to a facet of his work that seems to go in behind the mask every poet wears in his own language. The French facing also helps... They aren't Pierre Reverdy, a kind of Rilkean French symbolist mystic, but they're valuable.
waking beasts
Not the best of Rilke's poems...but of course it's always nice to read poetry in two languages just to observe the nuances of language and how poetry morphs into different beasts depending on the tongue. It was the lessor of his collections in my opinion.
ruzmarì
Another quiet favorite. Commentary on art, on life in another tongue, on each gentle shock as the soul comes to life and finds expression. My favorite part is the group called "Vergers" (Orchards), with its "Rose" sequence.
L.S.
Poemele mi s-au parut greoaie: cred ca traducerea a preferat rima si ritmul sensului. Nu mi s-a parut o traducere foarte fericita in orice caz. In schimb, cele 25 de ilustratii sunt frumoase.
Karen
One of my most favorite poets. The collection has the French poem with the translated version on the facing page.
Denis
Not the most famous collection of this author. But for me, the eseence of what poetry should be.
Heather
Kept by the bedside for impromptu evening poetry readings - in french or english!
Quadrotextual
Finally, a series of poems about windows.
Art Westwood
Art Westwood marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Sookie
Sookie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Victoria Stavish
Victoria Stavish marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Samuel Peliska
Samuel Peliska is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2014
hooshang danesh
hooshang danesh is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2014
Hanny
Hanny marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Diana Iglesias
Diana Iglesias marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Lorena Martinez
Lorena Martinez marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Ulf
Ulf marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two mos...more
More about Rainer Maria Rilke...
Letters to a Young Poet The Selected Poetry Duino Elegies The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God

En une seule fleur
Enchantée de cet artifice,
ton abondance l’avait osé.

Tu étais assez riche, pour devenir cent
fois toi-même en une seule fleur;
c’est l’état de celui qui aime
Mais tu n’as pas pensé ailleurs.”
3 likes
“Seulement la terre qui obéit,
sait bien qu'elle tourne en rond,
tandis que nous vers l'infini
nous précipitons.

Translation:
But the obedient Earth well knows
that she moves round and round,
whereas we hurtle down