Start by marking “The Complete French Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke” as Want to Read:
The Complete French Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke

The Complete French Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  15 reviews
English translations accompany the original French text of Rilke's poems about nature, art, work, mythology, and mortality.
Published September 1st 1986 by Graywolf Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete French Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete French Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke

André
Rose, oh pure contradiction, joy
of being No-one's sleep under so many
lids.

--- uma tradução para inglês do cativante epitáfio de Rainer Maria Relke.

Este homem autríaco foi, e para sempre será, considerado um dos maiores poetas da língua germânica. Daí ter-me aventurado a ler um livro de poemas em francês, deste autor, foi um pouco ousado... (irei ler os germânicos quando terminar a minha aprendizagem da língua).
Gostaria de introduzir uma citação que melhor exprime o meu sentimento de individualid
Amanda
I am working my way through a lot of Rilke all at once, but this is the first text I've managed to get the whole way through. I read it in both French and English, a poem (sometimes a section) at a time. It is interesting to see how he works in his second language, and to be able to read it in mine. Clearly a clumsier and altogether more variable body of work in terms of quality than something like the Duino Elegies, but a really good read with some gorgeous passages.
Disclaimer: this review only applies to five poems out of the book (they were set to music by Morten Lauridsen). Technically I sang these, not read them, but singing a poem regularly over a period of three months does not seem like a bad way to gain appreciation of it to me. These are beautiful, and I plan on reading more now that i've been introduced to them.

-C'est nous qui t'avons proposé de remplir ton calice
-Contre qui, rose
-De ton rêve trop plein
-J'ai une telle conscience de ton être, rose
Em
Oct 09, 2010 Em rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Em by: Erick Cloward
Shelves: own, poetry, read-2010
Ben
Aug 26, 2007 Ben rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Rilke's French poems are, I think, a distinct body of work. He has a different kind of voice when writing in French. They are simpler, yet more mysterious than his German poems. He will meditate on a single image (the rose, the window) across whole volumes, developing its relationship with the author, the reader, and the imagery that surrounds it.
Jose Araguz
Rilke is the man.

In his French poems, he goes for it with a eye for detail and spirit that proves him as much sorcerer as poet. Some of the poems here have been favorites for a while.

Here's what I said about it on my blog: http://thefridayinfluence.wordpress.c...
Daniel Abdal-Hayy Moore
Hearing this great German poet writing in French is actually illuminating to a facet of his work that seems to go in behind the mask every poet wears in his own language. The French facing also helps... They aren't Pierre Reverdy, a kind of Rilkean French symbolist mystic, but they're valuable.
Raluca
N'est-ce pas triste que nos yeux se ferment?
On voudrait avoir les yeux toujours ouverts,
pour avoir vu, avant le terme,
tour ce que l'on perd.
waking beasts
Not the best of Rilke's poems...but of course it's always nice to read poetry in two languages just to observe the nuances of language and how poetry morphs into different beasts depending on the tongue. It was the lessor of his collections in my opinion.
ruzmarì
Another quiet favorite. Commentary on art, on life in another tongue, on each gentle shock as the soul comes to life and finds expression. My favorite part is the group called "Vergers" (Orchards), with its "Rose" sequence.
L.S.
Poemele mi s-au parut greoaie: cred ca traducerea a preferat rima si ritmul sensului. Nu mi s-a parut o traducere foarte fericita in orice caz. In schimb, cele 25 de ilustratii sunt frumoase.
Karen
One of my most favorite poets. The collection has the French poem with the translated version on the facing page.
Denis
Not the most famous collection of this author. But for me, the eseence of what poetry should be.
Heather
Kept by the bedside for impromptu evening poetry readings - in french or english!
Quadrotextual
Finally, a series of poems about windows.
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Revan Venezia
Revan Venezia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
John Stoneham
John Stoneham marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Kajsa
Kajsa marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Amadéa Marie
Amadéa Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • The Palm at the End of the Mind: Selected Poems and a Play
  • Open Closed Open
  • The Dream of the Unified Field: Selected Poems, 1974-1994
  • Imperfect Thirst
  • The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations Millennium General Assembly: Poems Collected and New
  • Dien Cai Dau
  • Four Questions of Melancholy: New and Selected Poems
  • Selected Poetry
  • Granted
  • Words for the Wind: The Collected Verse
  • Poems, 1965-1975
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two mos
More about Rainer Maria Rilke...
Letters to a Young Poet The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke Duino Elegies The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God

En une seule fleur
Enchantée de cet artifice,
ton abondance l’avait osé.

Tu étais assez riche, pour devenir cent
fois toi-même en une seule fleur;
c’est l’état de celui qui aime
Mais tu n’as pas pensé ailleurs.”
5 likes
Dirait-on
Abandon entouré d'abandon,
tendresse touchant aux tendresses ...
C'est ton intérieur qui sans cesse
se caresse, dirait-on;

se caresse en soi-même,
par son propre reflet éclairé.
Ainsi tu inventes le thème
du Narcisse exaucé.”