Start by marking “Apples Every Day” as Want to Read:
Apples Every Day

Apples Every Day

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Three new students, including shy and sullen Sheila, begin a year at Kenner, a progressive Canadian boarding school.
Published November 1st 1973 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Apples Every Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apples Every Day

Susan

I remember being really enthralled by this story about a boarding school in Canada, lots of apple eating and friends and crushes and the stuff of middle school drama - so of course I loved it. I remembered the title a year ago and thought it might be fun to reread some of the books I loved - and see if they were actually any good or whether I just read dreck in my youth ... this book on AbeBooks was a bloody fortune - so now it is on my extensive list to hopefully locate someday at a used book s
Laurie
Aug 23, 2008 Laurie added it
Recommended to Laurie by: Constance
I recommend this if you particularly like books about: boarding schools, Canada, or kids putting on a play. Otherwise this story about a small, progressive '60s boarding school is nice but forgettable. (The title sounds like it would be one of those charming pioneer/farm books by someone like Miriam Mason, but it's not at all like that.)
TheBookGroupie
I must have read "Apples Every Day" four times when I was in elementary school and,every time, I felt like I was on a great escape away from home with good friends.
Wendy
Dec 19, 2008 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wendy by: Constance
An odd time capsule of a book, worth more for the period details than any literary qualities. My favorite part was the betrayal of the much-loved teacher, and I really wanted to read more of her expose, although I was very disappointed at the ultimate reason for that betrayal.
Elizabeth Lund
A fairly straightforward and realistic story about a girl at a progressive Canadian boarding school similar to Summerhill. Was glad to see a school like this portrayed in a sympathetic (though not totally utopian) manner.
Maia
Lovely old fashioned story with poignant intimate details. Recently found my old copy and re read it with zest.
Marthe
this was one of my favourite books as a young teenager, even after I spent a year in a similar boarding school (in England rather than Canada), and knew first-hand how living so closely together with other students AND teachers can bruise and illuminate. It never occured to me until this minute, when I saw that someone else had read the book,that the author might have written something else. Now on a treasure hunt...
Ashley
read growing up
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 02, 2015
Thamarine Caitan
Thamarine Caitan marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
May 30, 2015
Liralen
Liralen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Jill Taub
Jill Taub marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
elizabeth
elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Born in Geneva Switzerland, novelist and scriptwriter Grace Richardson was raised in Montreal, Canada. She was educated at McGill University, and at Oxford University, in England. She has lived in New York, and worked in publishing. In addition to her fiction, written for children and adults, Richardson has written TV drama scripts for Screen Gems (Montreal) and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporati ...more
More about Grace Richardson...
Legacy: Book Three in the Providence Series Blessings: Book Two in the Providence Series The Journal: Book One in the Providence Series Douglas Legacy: Book Three in the Providence Series