Start by marking “City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,081,384 Ratings  ·  46,557 Reviews
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is not ...more
Published July 2nd 2007 by Walker Books Ltd (first published March 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about City of Bones, please sign up.

Vik I am in my twenties and I love the whole saga. Really well written, amazing stories and plot twists, by the end of the book the author takes a part of…moreI am in my twenties and I love the whole saga. Really well written, amazing stories and plot twists, by the end of the book the author takes a part of you and makes you want to know what is going to happen next. It doesn't matter what age are the main characters, cause if you like fantasy, I think there's a fat chance that you'll love it. (less)
The Iron King by Julie KagawaThe Iron Daughter by Julie KagawaThe Iron Queen by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrNeed by Carrie Jones
Best YA Fairy Books
58th out of 246 books — 602 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsArtemis Fowl by Eoin ColferThe Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
Best YA Fatasy books of the century
47th out of 116 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
***Warning: won't contain spoilers cause I didn't get far enough to give a fuck and discover anything worth spoiling.***

Okay, so let me get this out straight. I have never NOT finished a book before. Okay, I'm lying. The History of Sexuality Volume 1 by Michel Foucault remains unfinished as does Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Why? Because they were boring.

Because, as I read them, I wanted to take a cheese grater to my skull and rub vigorously just to have something to do!

But I have never NOT fini
Andrea Caro
Rick Riordan
Feb 19, 2014 Rick Riordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I’m far behind the curve on reading this, but I very much enjoyed my introduction to the world of nephilim, Shadowhunters and demons. Clare constructed a vivid, believable parallel world with great characters, punchy dialogue, and a winning mix of humor, pathos and action. I like her take on warlocks, vampires, and werewolves, and of course I’m a big fan or urban fantasy, where these fantastic elements mix into the regular gritty city life of New York. Clary Fray is a sympathetic protag ...more
Cara
Jul 14, 2014 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Tori
Wow. I was reading some reviews on this and people either hate or love it. I am not ashamed to say I belong to the latter. Lots of opinions means there is lots of things to say...

Ok so I was practically splitting my head open thinking of what exactly I wanted to say about this book. In the end I just decided to go with what comes to mind. So here it goes...

Clare does a superb job of drawing you in. Maybe the plot isn't completely unique but the world she created is. I kept telling myself this is
Tatiana
Dec 04, 2013 Tatiana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage girls, fans of angsty teenage soap
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Amanda
19 Apr '16
Bet you're sick of my updates, now.

Just for reference, on the recent Sherrilyn Kenyon v Cassandra Clare.
Kenyon has filed a lawsuit against Clare, and also provides a list of alleged similarities between Clare's work to her own.

Read and decide for yourself.

15 Jun '13
update again! Saw some stills for the movie, and to be honest, despite being slightly spurious in my "casting" of City of Bones, I actually think my version is much better than the movie version.

I mean, look at Isabelle,
Heather
Jan 26, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, urban-fantasy, 2010
I was instantly enchanted when I first read City of Bones, and that enchantment still holds four years, and at least half a dozen re-reads later in sptite of the fact that I'm older, wiser, and should know better. I've also read countless reviews, both adoring and loathing and have come to the conclusion that this book does not garner any type of middle ground, you either love it or you hate it.

I'm glad that I get to love it. What else can I say?

For me, this book shines, and to those of you who
Shelley
Jul 04, 2007 Shelley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Pure and utter crap. I wish there were ways to give negative stars. I certainly want the time from my life back. I would compare its writing quality to a fanzine, except that comparison wouldn't be fair to fanzines. But I swear to God, it took every single bad fanfic writing cliche and published them. What were her publishers thinking??? Where was her editor?? It was horrible.

I would dearly love for a fanfiction author to make good and become a published writer, but I'd prefer one with talent,
Christina Wilder
This will probably be my longest review, but there's a lot to cover here.

What I liked:

- The action sequences were written well. The pacing in them was decent and I could visualize what was happening.
- The kiss between two characters (view spoiler) was also written well, and I was happy to see a kiss written as a kiss, and not like orgasmic sex (the kiss scene in Fallen was so over the top that it was ridiculous).
- Some of the twisty twists were decent.

What I didn
Lina
shady boots

I had to do it.
Sasha Alsberg
Aug 17, 2012 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Mortal Instruments changed the way I looked a fantasy novels. I am a huge fan now. I defiantly recommend this book for any hunger games, divergent, harry potter, and twilight fans out there. It is truly a fantastic series.
Katerina
“Shadowhunters:Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234.”

I read City of Bones for the first time 5 years ago.I still remember that day.The sun was shining,the birds were singingIt was during my first semester in Law School and I had to study History of Law,which was a complete waste of time because seriously,who is ever going to ask me whether women in Byzantium could get a divorce?(In case you are wondering,they could only if the husband was impotent or possessed).A
Sparrow
Sep 07, 2010 Sparrow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ABOVE ALL ELSE, AVOID THE AUDIO
I think this book is has some kind of mental disability. I kind of don’t want to make fun of it because, you know, it’s not playing the game with a full deck of cards. But, at the same time, it does not have such a significant learning disability that it needs to sit in a separate classroom from the other stories; it just has this confluence of creepiness and then some kind of mild mental challenge. So, I kind of do want to make fun of it because, you know, you probably don't have to be this unc ...more
Lola  Reviewer

I didn't always love The Mortal Instruments.

In fact, the first time I read it, I found it quite immature and annoying. If I’m not mistaking, I read it for the first time three years ago, just before the release of the execrable movie. Well, 1) you need to know that, at that time, I wasn’t reading English books just yet (that came a couple of months later) and 2) some of the French editions look horrible (view spoiler) and those are the ones my library owned. So every time I was
Jess
Jul 27, 2007 Jess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really, there's nothing very original, or satisfying in the book. She borrowed so heavily from Buffy, Harry Potter, and Star Wars that it sticks out like a sore thumb. It reads like altered fan fiction. And I love fan fiction, make no mistake, but it's not attempting to make a buck off someone else's world, either. Which is essentially what the book is. Cobbled fan fiction that has no cohesion.

I knew Clare as Cassandra Claire from Harry Potter fandom, I will admit, and that did color somewhat. B
Kiki
Sep 15, 2013 Kiki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Blue fairies
Recommended to Kiki by: A blue fairy
Laurel

*Spoilers yeah*

I’m going to say this now so it’s out of the way.
I’ve never read the Draco Trilogy by Cassandra Claire on fanfiction.net.

I have no right to mention the plagiarism event around the Draco Trilogy in this review, because I have not read it, and so I will not go into the plagiarism event.

I know of the plagiarism, and I find it despicable, but I’m not reviewing that, I’m reviewing City of Bones.

THE CITY OF BONES REREAD WITH PALICE AND GHIRARDELLI

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It started EPIC, then tapered
Joyzi
Feb 20, 2011 Joyzi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter
Recommended to Joyzi by: Stephenie Meyer
Alex Pettyfer Update

***OBSCENE ALERT***

Alex Pettyfer Pictures, Images and Photos

Note: I will fucking kill the Casting Director if Alex Pettyfer, the man of my erotic dreams and fantasies*coughs* will not be cast as Jace Wayland! Seriously I don't care if he has a British accent and he already have Beastly, I am Number Four and Torment movies for 2011, I don't freaking care! He need to be Jace Wayland and Peeta Mellark! All I want in my life right now is HIM HIM HIM!!! Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Avis
This review contains some minor spoilers.

Scroll down to see an actual review, this is just some of my shit.

Clary:

description

Hi there! Jace is hot and I'm Clary but you can call me Your Typical Mary Sue! I know, it's quite a mouthful but, well, I'm special like that. I'm just your average plain looking teenager that all the boys want to bang. I'm also really smart, so smart that I can't notice that my best friend has been in love with me for the last 10 years and that my own mother has more secrets than ev
Lori
Aug 03, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes urban fantasy
Do yourself a favor and be careful reading reviews or posts that give away the ending of this book. Unfortunately, I read about the devastating twist on a message board and was sorry that I knew, sooner then I wanted to, what direction the story takes towards the end. Of course you'll have to read the next two books in the series in hopes that it's not true. It can't be true, it just can't be!

Don't let the fact that this book is in the "Young Adult" section throw you. This is a great urban fanta
Pearl Angeli
Reread: January, 2016
1st Read : July, 2014

description

Rereading my favorite parts in this book gives me the same feels! Just like the first time, it's still so amazing. I am so happy to revisit the beautiful Shadowhunters world and enjoy the characters and the fantastic scenes. Jace, Clary, Alec, Isabelle, Simon, Magnus, Hodge, Luke-- I desperately love these characters and I miss them so much.

The Midnight Flower (Chapter 17)-- oh, how I miss this scene. I always get giddy whenever I think about it and now
Victoria Hansen
May 31, 2016 Victoria Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Luke turned around. His eyes, very blue behind his glasses, rested on her with a look of affection. "Clary, you're an artist, like your mother. That means you see the world in ways that other people don't. It's your gift, to see the beauty and the horror in ordinary things. It doesn't make you crazy --just different. There's nothing wrong with being different."

City of Bones is the first installment in The Mortal Instruments series and also the first published book by Cassandra Clare, now an ach
Reader-ramble
Sep 29, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. I know better.
Recommended to Reader-ramble by: My self in a moment of sheer stupidity.
Why, oh why did I waste such valuable reading time finishing this? Because, apparently, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I will warn you ahead of time, this review may contain spoilers!!! I'm not sure yet because I don't really care enough to plan this out. This will mostly be whining, ranting, and general complaining. Remember, I warned you.

Before I dive into this review, I will tell you that I've heard the Cassandra Clare plagiarized arguments, and that this book is basically a reworked fan fictio
Ariel
Dec 04, 2013 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
WELL. WELL. SO MUCH TO SAY. To start, my rating is 3.5, and I will say I really enjoyed this book... but I did also have quite a few issues with it.. let's discuss!

Supernatural/Paranormal is not my genre. It's not that I CAN'T enjoy them, it's that I have a lot of troubles enjoying them, so when I pick one up it has to be mind blowingly great for me to get into it or else I just struggle, flail, and fail. Keeping this in mind, this is my City of Bones story:

I received this book during Christmas
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Whole New World Stars

photo tumblr_mrvlahqhhx1sa044ao1_500_zpsxo07fnpm.gif

“Those girls on the other side of the car are staring at you.” Jace assumed an air of mellow gratification. “Of course they are,” he said. “I am stunningly attractive.” “Haven’t you ever heard that modesty is an attractive trait?” “Only from ugly people,” Jace confided. “The meek may inherit the earth, but at the moment it belongs to the conceited. Like me.”-Clary and Jace

Okay so the other day I was watching the movie The Mortal Instruments City of Bones. That got me want
Rachel E. Carter
Jun 26, 2016 Rachel E. Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
Update 5/20/16: this ebook is $1.99 right now!!! Here is the link to Amazon: http://amzn.to/1ODTExs (it's on other sites like B&N and KOBO too, not sure how long the sale will last)

I will always love this series because of Jace. Too bad the movie didn't get him right:(
V
Jan 28, 2014 V rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Last year, I readClockwork Angelby Cassandra Clare. It was okay, nothing special, yet it seemed to be a real darling in the YA world. I’d be hanging out in the YA section at bookshops and seeing girls squealing aboutThe Mortal Instruments, I’d buy books similar toTMIorThe Infernal Devices, and the clerk would tell me I should check Ms. Clare’s books out too… So eventually, I got around to readingCity of Bones, the first in the series.

I really didn’t enjoy it.

It starts out strong enough, graduall
TheUnicorner
I read this one while taking a break from school books and papers, and I needed some mindless but entertaining brain rot. Therein lies the appeal of this novel.

If you've even dipped a pinkie toe in the online Harry Potter fandom, you've probably heard of the author (if not, just employ some google-fu and you find everything you need). The buzz generated by Clare's fandom notoriety probably was a great boon for this book, and I admit it's the only reason I read it. Although it's hard not to have
Zero vi Britannia
New Review
"This is going to suck so hard."
-Clary Fray, City of Bones
(Did she read CoB too?)

"Did three months mean nothing? Did you flip a switch and erase me from your memories?"
-Clair Edwards, Degrassi
(Funny and how I imagine Clary would react to Jace.)

"Do you think that when Michelangelo was painting the Sistine Chapel, he just dipped his dick in a bucket of paint, slapped it around a few times, and said 'There, I'm done'?"
-DevanBlair, Order of the Phoenix movie review

No, he did not. That is
The BookMarvel Bo...: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare 4 7 1 hour, 4 min ago
Word Game starting on JACE! 51770 8216 7 hours, 25 min ago
tv show 14 56 Jun 29, 2016 04:06AM
Are there any books similar to The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices 129 4886 Jun 27, 2016 11:18PM
For Love of a Book: City of Bones Buddy Read-July 1 6 Jun 26, 2016 06:43PM
What is your Shadowhunter name? 580 2063 Jun 25, 2016 01:53PM
  • The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
  • Summer's Crossing (Iron Fey, #3.5)
  • Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)
  • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • Shadowfever (Fever, #5)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • River Cast (The Tale of Lunarmorte, #2)
  • The Wedding of Antanasia Jessica Packwood and Lucius Valeriu Vladescu (Jessica, #1.5)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
  • Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2)
  • Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

203 trivia questions
78 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”
22318 likes
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”
12401 likes