Start by marking “Hay luz en el desvan” as Want to Read:
Hay luz en el desvan

Hay luz en el desvan

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  218,333 ratings  ·  1,786 reviews
Shel Silverstein's attic is like none other: in it live Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, a Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. The quirky, catchy poems in this collection ask a series of what-ifs, steal people's knees, introduce the Quick-Digesting Gink, catch a mountain snoring, and put a brassiere on a camel.
Published June 30th 2006 by Ediciones B (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Hay luz en el desvan, please sign up.

Jenny L. McGee Quirky, funny and creative childrens poems that spur imagination and literary conversations with your kids. I loved it as a kid .grade school reading…moreQuirky, funny and creative childrens poems that spur imagination and literary conversations with your kids. I loved it as a kid .grade school reading level.(less)

Austin
Mar 07, 2008 Austin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Austin by: Almost Everyone
Every child eventually discovers the perverted old man who wrote songs for Johnny Cash, did illustrations for Playboy, appeared on the Dr. Demento show numerous times, and managed to get a few books published along the way.

For some reason, parents never seem to think this creepy old guy who was so fond of children was in any way "disturbing," something I'm continually impressed with in the "ban now, ask questions later" climate of modern culture. If there are people who don't like Shel Silverst
Ronyell
“A Light in the Attic” is one of Shel Silverstein’s best yet most controversial books of poems ever written. This book is full of poems about clowns, pirates, monsters and all manner of strange people and animals doing crazy things. “A Light in the Attic” may be too suggestive and morbid for smaller children, but older children will easily delight themselves with the silly shenanigans of the characters.

Shel Silverstein’s writing is as witty as it is funny as he writes each character’s stories i
Janine
Apr 09, 2007 Janine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is or was a child. Those who were never children probably wouldn't get it anyway.
Shelves: kidsbooks
The feelings I have about Shel Silverstein's A Light in the Attic and Where The Sidewalk Ends contrast so sharply with the books themselves. I loved these funny, whimsical and sometimes downright sadistic poems with all of my young heart. Even now, I feel like I'm getting away with something when I think of Clarence Lee from Tennesee who loved the commercials he saw on TV. I am still afraid for Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too who never returned to the world they knew. In Shel Silverstein's bo ...more
Valerie
Recently, I started re-reading A Light in the Attic with my younger daughter, who's four-and-a-half. I think when I first read it I must have been about eight or nine years old, because I remember reading it myself, and loving it. (I must have checked it out of the library about a million times.) What's not to love? Shel gives us such gems as:

BEAR IN THERE
There's a Polar Bear
In our Frigidaire--
He likes it 'cause it's cold in there.
With his seat in the meat
And his face in the fish
And his big hair
Rachel
Shel Silverstein was the author of my childhood, and I was surprised to find that, in (sort of) adulthood, A light in the Attic hasn't lost any of its charm. In fact, I've discovered new layers of humor and meaning I couldn't have processed when I was eight.

I credit Shel Silverstein with my early love of poetry and, ultimately, literature. Recommend to anyone at any age, but a GREAT gift for a godson/ goddaughter, niece/ nephew, etc.. They'll cherish it forever!
DJ Harris
Need to feel like a kid again? Cozy up with this humorous and whimsical book of poetry. Kids of all ages are sure to enjoy Shel Silverstein's fanciful word play in this amusing collection.

Besides reading this book myself, I also purchased a copy of this book for my children and grandchildren. It is a good book to get your children into reading.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book!

A Light in the Attic (Hardcover) by Shel Silverstein

Excerpt:

"Somebody Has To

Somebody has to go polish the stars,
They’re looking a little bit dull.
Somebody has to go polish the
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. One of those books that can be enjoyed by children and adults depending on how deeply you dive into the meaning of the stories. Incredibly imaginative and very well done.
Emily May
“Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.”
Cathy
Oct 26, 2007 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who giggle
Shel Silverstein was misunderstood.

He was a genius, but not an evil one. Just a hilarious one.

His books are looked at with suspicion. But shouldn't be, because they are full of fun, pun, and literate value.

Here is why this one was challenged by others, however:

"features a caricature of a person whose nude behind has been stung by a bee; the poem 'Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony' is morbid; imparts a 'dreary' and 'negative' message; encourages kids to break dishes so that they won't have t
Luke Lafountain
Apr 06, 2008 Luke Lafountain rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Luke by: Everyone
I am going to start out by saying I really loved this book. i have been getting into poems lately so i decided to read this. There really is no main story but is just a collage of poems. It is primarily meant for children but the values expressed in it are one everyone should know-no matter what age. Everything is pretty direct and simple so its not a chore to read. This is a very simple book that i think everyone should read.
Carrie
Mar 15, 2008 Carrie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who needs to giggle.
I used this book for a talent show in Jr High. I don't remember what poem I did, but one that I incidentally memorized along the way is still really funny to me.

Crowded Tub

There s too many kids in this tub.
There s too many elbows to scrub.
I just washed a behind
That I m sure wasn t mine
There s too many kids in this tub.

I quote it for my kids and they look at me in shock and then start giggling. The imagery is just too good. :)
Beth
Picture this,
I am 7,its Christmas and all the gifts are wrapped and under the tree.
I could see through the wrapping paper a faint outline of the cover of A Light in the Attic.
I begged.
I screamed.
I was not allowed to open the present even though I knew what it was.
But... I still have the original copy and read it to my son and because of my harrowing experience I love this book even more.
rinabeana
This is one of my childhood favorites. I've had it for years and it's all battered because I've read the poems so often. Oddly enough, it's the only book of Silverstein's poems that I own, though I'm familiar with many more of his poems. This one will always be my favorite, though. I can recite so many of the poems from memory. If you ever need to be cheered up, I'd recommend this book!
Michael Strode
In the pantheon of literature shaping my nascent creative flicker, Shel Silverstein remains a master of lunacy and language. Long after losing my appetite for R.L. Stine's "Fear Street" or the frightful suspense of Alvin Schwartz' "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark", Silverstein's whimsical passages continue to invoke nostalgic and thoughtful reflection. Of "The Giving Tree", my mother echoes the undeviating refrain that it is a woeful fable of an ungrateful child and a loving, long suffering pa ...more
Krista Lineweaver
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein is a book of poetry intended for children ages eight to twelve. It is a book filled with a collection of poetry and drawings by the author. They are humorous and filled with creativity. The illustrations are somewhat creepy and different. Children, I'm sure, will enjoy reading these different collections of poetry as they grow up. Some of the poems rhyme, which will gain the attention of several readers. The poems will make you laugh and give off differen ...more
Amber Adams
One picture puzzle piece

Lyin’ on the sidewalk,

One picture puzzle piece

Soakin’ in the rain.

It might be a button of blue

On the coat of the woman

Who lived in a shoe.

It might be a magical bean,

Or a fold in the red

Velvet robe of a queen.

It might be the one little bite

Of the apple her stepmother

Gave to Snow White.

It might be the veil of a bride

Or a bottle with some evil genie inside.

It might be a small tuft of hair

On the big bouncy belly

Of Bobo the Bear.

It might be a bit of the cloak

Of the Witch of th
Leslie Rock
Shel Silverstein has long been one of my favorite authors. His stories and poetry are written with the craft of wit and humor. In some poems he uses the craft of repetition and in others he just writes creatively. A Light in the Attic is just one of his many amazing books of compiled poems.

"If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful, boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
('Stead of going to the store)
If you have to dry the dishes
And you drop one on the floor -
Maybe they won't let you
Dry th
Ashlie Nelson
This is one of those books every child should have the pleasure of having in their book collection. I remember going to the bookstore with my Mom and her buying it. We read it together that night and all the silly crazy poems had us both laughing. I would find myself always sitting on my bedroom floor going through my book and this was always one I would spend time reading. I would memorize some of my fave poems in the book and repeat them to everyone for weeks and months. They are very catchy a ...more
Analicia De Anda
This book, as well as Where the Sidewalk Ends, won me several awards in grade school and junior high school for various speech contests, and for that alone I'm thankful! I still use it today, I just presented a speech in my English class on the poem Where the Sidewalk Ends, and I got an A on it. :) My daughter auditioned for a play using the poem "Sick" and got a lead role. I must say Shel Silverstein is a genius, as well as a good luck charm for my family and me.
Behzad
"HURK"
I'd rather play tennis than go to the dentist.
I'd rather play soccer than go to the doctor.
I'd rather play hurk than go to work.
hurk?hurk? what's hurk?
I don't know but it must be better than work.
---------------------------------------------------------
"BATTY"
the baby bat
screamed out in fright,
"turn on the darrk,
I'm afraid of the light."
-------------------------------------------------------
Richie
i had an extensive discussion with two friends last night about Shel Silverstein's bizarre portrait on the back cover of this book. his smile is huge and his teeth are the brightest white i've ever seen; while i now believe that what i once thought was a lion's mane growing from his neck is actually the fur-lined hood of a winter coat, it remains almost indistinguishable from his beard.
Raya Sunshine
Oct 18, 2007 Raya Sunshine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of Children
s.s.'s books open the mind and the imagination...i find it hard to define my mothers' parenting style without mentioning this book. it was one of the first books my mother bought us 'for keeps' and read to us on a regular basis...the funny poems made story time fun and enchanting and i still own our copy of this book. all parents should read s.s.'s books for their children!
Beth
Almost as great as Where the Sidewalk Ends, I loved reading this book myself in 1st grade, and now I love reading it with my girls even more. It was a HUGE hit during Alexa's "Friday Mystery Reader" a few weeks back, too. The kids demanded an encore! The poems can be a little creepy at times, but that's just part of Silverstein's awesome style.
Erich Franz Guzmann
Some strange, strange, did I say strange poems are in this book! Wow, in so many ways. Some of the poems and the pictures too are great, funny, and very creative; but then some are just weird and dark, a little too much for me. I never read this as a child though, so maybe I would have like it a lot more if I had.
Mahshid
GOD'S WHEEL
God says to me with kind of a smile,
"Hey how would you like to be God awhile
And steer the world?"
"Okay," says I, "I'll give it a try.
Where do I set?
How much do I get?
What time is lunch?
When can I quit?"
"Gimme back that wheel," says God,
"I don't think you're quite ready yet."
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Alas, there will never be another Shel Silverstein...boo hoo.
Kiera Burnett
Summary and Critique:
In Silverstein’s anthology, he includes numerous silly poems, most accompanied by simple illustrations. In true Silverstein style, he creates poetry that appeals to a wide age range and discusses a variety of topics. This book is sure to engage young readers and excite them about poetry. One especially controversial poem in this anthology is “How Not to Have to Dry the Dishes.” Many parents believe that Silverstein’s suggestion to simply drop them on the floor encourages dis
Abby
A light in the attic is a poetry book full of fun, quirky poems. Silverstein has a great, somewhat dark sense of humor. The witty book is full of irony and satire. This would be a great book to give kids inspiration to write their own verses.
The poems are well-space in the book. There's about one poem per page, and they have plenty of white space around them, plenty of room to breathe. The illustrations are simple line drawings with a rough, sketchy style and very little value changes. It is not
3Shaniamos*09
Banned books are banned for many reasons and I believe that yes, banned books that are banned should be banned because of these controversy issues. Books that are banned deals with occult, religion and sexual content.

Reason for occult is so children can not learn about paranormal or magic that tells about different religion. I believe occult shouldn't be taught in school because it relates to demons and ghosts. When children start to learn these things,parents start to worry and the first place
Margie
On a recent trip to the library, I stumbled across "The Light In The Attic" by Shel Silverstein. Once I opened it up and started reading those familiar poems, nostalgia flew right through me.

It was my absolute favorite book when I was a child. So I figured, "Why not? I might as well check this one out." I figured it would give my brain a tiny break in between some of my more difficult reads.

Well-over 10 years after reading it for the first time, it was just as wonderful as it was back then. It
Poems 3 29 Nov 28, 2014 07:53AM
  • The New Kid on the Block
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
  • Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • Howliday Inn
  • The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales
  • The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)
  • Caps for Sale
  • Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Hailstones and Halibut Bones
  • Blueberries for Sal
  • Animalia
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...
Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein The Giving Tree Falling Up The Missing Piece Every Thing on It

“Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.”
1712 likes
“When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?” 517 likes