Start by marking “The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice #5, part 1/2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Sorcerer of the North

John Flanagan

The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice #5, part 1/2)

Korean edition of the New York Times bestselling fantasy series THE RANGER'S APPRENTICE, Book 9 (English: The sorcerer of the North): Book 5) by an Australian writer John Flanagan. This appealing and original work illustrates the great adventure of 15-year-old orphan boy Will of Castle Redmont who always wanted to be a knight but became a ranger. Translated by Park Jung ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Seoul Gyoyuk (first published June 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sorcerer of the North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sorcerer of the North

Derrick Adl
Jun 16, 2014 Derrick Adl rated it it was amazing
In this squeal to the Rangers Apprentice Will comes back to save the day once again. After the battle at Skandia will had is own fief to protect. But that did not last long until there was trouble in the North. Lord Syron master of the Castle in the North became seriously ill. There were rumors of sorcery and black magic going on in the North so Will and Alyss go undercover to find out what really is happening. All is going well until they find out who they really are and Alyss gets captured and ...more
Ita
Aug 23, 2014 Ita rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, ya, audio
I am changing my rating system. Cliffhanger endings get one star.

This has a cliffhanger ending. One star. I should have stopped with the last book.

I like the main characters, but there isn't much nuance to the heroes or the villains. They're all noble, good folk or dastardly, evil, scheming blackguards.

Also, I'm getting annoyed with the "no I can't kill them in cold blood" attitude. Evil people who have murdered other people in cold blood *can* be killed. Really. Grow a pair. But I guess there'
Caitlin
Apr 13, 2015 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
OH YES! WILL AND ALYSS WORKING TOGETHER! I'm still wondering what's happening with Will's older friends (the one who enrolled in the umm script person and the cooking one). And Horace is going to come in and help to save them all! I was so happy this book wasn't boring. I mean a five year gap is really big I mean he's finally a full silver Ranger! Yay, Will! But, I really did think it was going to boring (him catching petty thieves)(stopping "crime") like a no action book! But noooo John ...more
Nicole
3.5 stars. This book starts off in a new direction which will continue through another book, introducing Will as a newly-commissioned Ranger on his way to manage his very own fief. Then stuff starts happening. This book made more attempts at being humorous than the previous with varying success. It was also somewhat predictable, although maybe for the Young Adult audience the story line is not so transparent and is meant to serve a sort of object lesson. In this book and the next I also noticed ...more
Paul
Sep 30, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
The Ranger's Apprentice books have kept me reading! These books are so good, I will be disappointed when I finish the series. The sorcerer in the north was one of the best books in the series! I like the part where Will is pretending to be a jongleur. It was cool how he was able to make some money while doing this. The other part that I liked was where Will climbs up the tower to save Alyss. If I were him, the only thing that I would be scared of was that I would have to carry the poison. It ...more
Andrew Splitt
Great book lots of lightning paced action. The book starts off with Will going to his first posting at Castle Seacliff. He meets the Baron and the Battle master. Will thinks life at the castle is boring and gets lonely easily. After that things get to be a little hectic. The castle lord is poisoned and dying. Will and the and the Orman's secretary Axander, flee into the Grimsdill Woods where the feared Mallakalam is hiding. There the book ends with Will in the forest and Alyss ( His friend) is ...more
Kaleb Thompson
Dec 11, 2014 Kaleb Thompson rated it it was amazing
How can Will save a diplomat while trying to find a sorcerer? The Sorcerer of the North is about Will trying to find a Sorcerer while trying to keep a diplomat safe. When will first get the fief of Macindaw he discovers that a castle lord suddenly died without explanation. Will has to get to the bottom of this plot without actually getting caught by people that took the castle. Will later learns that his best friend got caught and now he also has to save her. Will goes on an exciting adventure ...more
Linda
Jan 21, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Will and Alyss are sent north to find out what is wrong in the Norgate Fiefdom. Both are undercover and must not let anyone know that they are friends. While Will investigates as a jongleur, an entertainer, Alyss plays a lady on her way to be married. As things begin to fall apart, Will must ask the help of a "sorcerer" who people have feared for years.

Another great Ranger's Apprentice story. Fast moving with good characters.
William Wygle
Aug 13, 2014 William Wygle rated it really liked it
A new story line begins in Book 5 of the Ranger's Apprentice Series, with Will taking the spotlight and new characters joining the story. What's fun about this particular installment is discovering who Will will trust as he becomes a spy to discover the truth about a Sorcerer who's plaguing the land of Macindaw. Book 5 is just as enjoyable as the previous books and takes it's time introducing new characters and setting up new plots.
Mary
Aug 05, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
I continue to love this series, and read through them quickly. There are familiar characters, with ongoing battles between good and various evils. In this one there is the introduction of a healer and a battle against apparent supernatural elements. It has a contained story, but flows into Book 6, The Siege of Macindaw.
Amy
Oct 23, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
This was well-written with lots of action. My biggest problems were 1) I felt like a book was missing between books 4 and 5 and 2) I figured out pretty quickly who the bad guy was. When you're 10-15 years older than the target audience, these are the sorts of things that happen. Still can't wait to start book 6 though.
Lucas
Feb 23, 2015 Lucas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winter-2015
I thought this book was really good. I loved the imagery just as much in this book than in the others. The author does a really good job in creating cliffhangers and other suspenseful moments in the book. I think that this is one of the best books in the series.
Sophiea
May 31, 2015 Sophiea rated it really liked it
The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan is an exciting story based on medieval times.This book shows that things are not always as they seem. Even though it is the fifth book in the Ranger's Apprentice series, it is as strong as the books before it.
Aiden Bloom
Feb 07, 2016 Aiden Bloom rated it it was amazing
Love this book. This book had a great tale of a young Rangers first mission, and how he try to finish his task. On to the next one in the series. The Siege of Macindaw, and this one finishes the story of how Will and his friends retake the Castle. And save the country from and Invasion.
Collin Falter
Jun 16, 2014 Collin Falter rated it it was amazing
The Sorcerer of The North was a very interesting book. It had detailed characters and setting through the whole thing. Every page of the book got me more into it, but again not every part of the book is a battle or something. In conclusion the book was amazing didn't get old and is a great read!
Topher
May 03, 2015 Topher rated it really liked it
The continuing adventures and dangers of a ranger, this time reunited with some old friends. The lesson learned in this one: sometimes disagreeable people aren't actually evil.
Teya Peck
Jun 16, 2014 Teya Peck rated it it was amazing
It was really good. It never slowed even to the ending sentence, which I hated (in a good way). HOwever that being said I had the next book volumn 2 at the ready and picked up where it left off.
Lauren
Jun 16, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: youth
I wasn't aware that this was a two part story, so I was disappointed when the story wasn't finished when I got to the end of the book. Now to wait for the next one from the library.
Cali
Jun 16, 2014 Cali rated it it was amazing
It was great! A lots of adventure, with mingling relationships. Not once did I want to stop; it was very exciting.
Brooks Thibault
Nov 13, 2014 Brooks Thibault rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because its about a 14 yearold qhonis going on a adventure to save someones life or he will lose his life too frome a horrible spell.
Noah
Mar 26, 2015 Noah rated it really liked it
it was okay i wish there was a little more action but overall it was good.

-The Man of The House
Simon Collette
Simon Collette rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
Nirav
Nirav rated it it was amazing
Charlotte Salis
Charlotte Salis rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Kara Erasmus
Kara Erasmus rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Sean Liu
Sean Liu rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Jadyn Iverson
Jadyn Iverson rated it really liked it
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Oakleaf Bearers: The Socerer of the North 1 1 Oct 21, 2016 01:26AM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Ranger's Apprentice Sorcerer of the North 1 3 May 04, 2016 02:30AM
  • Time Trapped (Time Snatchers, #2)
  • The Remembering (The Meq, #3)
  • Timecurse (Darkside, #4)
  • The Alamo (I, Q, #4)
  • Two Renegade Realms (Realm Walkers, #2)
  • War of the Werelords (Wereworld, #6)
  • Time to Smell the Roses (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #4)
  • The Wizard Test
  • The Avatar Battle (Cragbridge Hall, #2)
  • Spell Robbers (The Quantum League, #1)
  • Eden-East (Eden, #4)
  • Merlin: The Book of Magic
  • Burn (Salem's Revenge, #3)
  • Gregor the Overlander Box Set (Underland Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Sinnoh Handbook (Pokemon)
  • Lancelot (Knights Of The Round Table, #1)
  • Dungeons and Dragons Core Rulebook 1 Players Handbook (softcover)
  • Legend of the Emerald Rose

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It
More about John Flanagan...

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)