Start by marking “Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)” as Want to Read:
Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)

Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It was the cat who "told" Sheriff Dan Rhodes that something was wrong. It ran into the house when he opened the door. His wife, Ivy, recognized the cat as belonging to their neighbor and told Dan to go check on the widow--Helen Harris never let the cat out of the house.
When Dan finds Helen's body on her kitchen floor, there is nothing to indicate that her death wasn't a
Published January 9th 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder Among the OWLS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Among the OWLS

Fearless Fourteen by Janet EvanovichCheck Out Time by Rosa SophiaTaking 1960 by Rosa SophiaIt's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Murder by Jeff MarkowitzA Mammoth Murder by Bill Crider
Rosy's Choice Mysteries
6th out of 10 books — 2 voters
Presence by Perie WolfordPresence by Perie WolfordWild by Cheryl StrayedThe Night Circus by Erin MorgensternI Suck at Girls by Justin Halpern
Will Read in 2013
26th out of 134 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Karl
Feb 05, 2016 Karl rated it really liked it
The book begins with a dead body found almost next door to Sheriff Dan Rhodes home, upon first glance it appears to be an accident, a woman, Hellen Harris, appears to have fallen off of a step stool while changing a light bulb in her kitchen. But things just don't look right to the Sheriff.

As the body is removed by the ambulance Rhodes gets involved with a back up at McDonald's. It seems that a customer just can't get his breakfast sandwich the way he wants it so he won't exit the drive through
Marfita
Apr 14, 2014 Marfita rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I seem to have entered this series rather precipitously mid-stream. This is part of the Stray Pets, Collect 'Em All style of mystery. Sheriff Dan Rhodes acquires a neighbor's indoor cat after her original owner is murdered. The style is laconic. You can hear the deadpan in the narration as well as the sheriff's dialog. Rhodes has problems with his underlings and they seem to engage in some sort of game where both parties withhold information from each other. Rhodes's wife, Ivy, seems annoyed tha ...more
Roberta
Mar 23, 2016 Roberta rated it really liked it
I threw this book in to top off my $2 bag at the library sale and I'm glad I did. I was a little surprised when I found out that it is #14 in the series because there are a lot of series that have run their course by book #5 or #6. A series that doesn't stink by #14 is a force to be reckoned with. I love the sheriff's wife, Ivy, and all of the quirky characters who work with the sheriff. And all the characters typical of small towns everywhere. And the relationship between the sheriff and Sam, t ...more
Nikki
Apr 02, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Having been introduced to Sheriff Dan Rhodes in Bill Crider's short story collection, THE NIGHT TIME IS THE RIGHT TIME, I couldn't wait to encounter him in a full-length book. So I picked up MURDER AMONG THE OWLS (2007).

Police procedurals in which the protagonist is a sheriff have both similarities and differences with other varieties of this subgenre. First, although populous urban counties do have sheriffs (at least in my experience), those in mystery stories tend to be the sheriffs of thinly
Ed
Oct 19, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it
#14 in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. A black cat shows up on Rhodes back porch. His wife, Ivy, identifies it as Sam, Helen Harris' indoor cat and asks Dan to check on Helen. Helen is dead on her kitchen floor, apparently the victim of a domestic accident, but Dan is suspicious of the unlatched screendoor and the wandering cat, so he intends to investigate it as a possible homicide. Helen's membership in several clubs provide a plethora of suspects in addition to her cousin, a boyfriend and the ...more
lynne naranek
Jun 20, 2008 lynne naranek rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2007
I picked up this book knowing nothing about the writer nor the series; however, since this was #14 of this Sheriff Dan Rhodes series, I figured it must have something going for it. Sadly, this was not the case.

I acknowledge that there is so much potential in the set-up [a house-bound cat turns up outside, indicating its owner's death may not be a simple accident], humorous interactions among the characters [the Sheriff trying to pass the cat off to just about everyone he meets, for example], an
Jill
Mar 17, 2016 Jill rated it liked it
I enjoy the Sheriff Dan Rhodes books, but someone needs to do something about the copy-editing. Not only are there misspelled words but when you have a main character in this book and sometimes he is a Colonel and sometimes (same page next paragraph) he is a Lieutenant, you have to wonder if there is anyone proof reading..
Barbara Villegas
Jun 24, 2014 Barbara Villegas rated it it was amazing
It's fun to stumble across a different author, just because SAPL can't keep up with my wish list. The characters are richly built. Loved the plot and it's resolution. It's good to find another Texas author who I plan to follow through his writings.
Beverly Laude
Sep 22, 2015 Beverly Laude rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2015
Enjoyed this book....reminded me a little of the Longmire series. I'll have to find more by Mr. Crider since I've read all of the Longmires & need another sheriff to follow!
Patsy Tindell
Feb 15, 2016 Patsy Tindell rated it liked it
In this one a neighbor lady is murdered. She has a cat that the sheriff and his wife took in.
Freda Witt
Sep 01, 2015 Freda Witt rated it liked it
very good series.
Joshua Keezer
Jul 03, 2010 Joshua Keezer rated it really liked it
I don't really read mystery novels. I was at the library and saw this book in Playaway format. The back of the book description sounded like the book would be a fun listen. I wasn't disappointed.

Rating this book is difficult, however. I'm not a mystery reader so I don't know how well this rates for a mystery novel. I was able to figure out the killer almost immediately. Despite that, the book continued to keep me guessing about the finer details.
Jane
Light fun reading

Interesting characters in a typical tale of murder and small town intrigue. Recommended for mystery lovers who like smart cops and animals.
Missyjohnson1
Sep 15, 2010 Missyjohnson1 rated it liked it
wish I could hit 3.5 stars. nice little escape to Blacklin County. I like the characters and how real Mr. Crider is able to make them. I really like how he can take just plain ole everyday life, observe it, then transfer it to the page and make it be real. Nothing too outrageous or unbelievable just normal but fun.
JoDee
Mar 29, 2011 JoDee rated it really liked it
Love this series. It is not realistic as it is very light hearted and real law enforcement can be very distrubing. This is a modern version of Mayberry-sure there is murder, some other forms of sinning in the books, a little shennagins, but everything is done with a light touch and very enjoyable.
Mascanlon
Jul 27, 2008 Mascanlon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
This is the 7th or 8th volume in the series of Sheriff Dan Rhodes. I don't think I have read any before. I love the plotting and characters and the fact that the mayhem took a back seat to solid story telling. I'll be backing up to find more books in this series.
Susan
Jun 24, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
When sheriff Dan Rhodes finds the body of a quiet, retired schoolteacher, he's supposed to think that her death was an accident. But a lying suitor, a con-man cousin, and several suspicious characters make Rhodes think that foul play is involved.
Linda
Jan 22, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
A fun non offensive mystery which took place in Texas and the sherriff who solved it. Easy to listen to on ride to work!!!!
Modisettwilson
Apr 14, 2011 Modisettwilson rated it liked it
Local mystery writer who does a serviceable job. Not great, but not a bad way to spend your Sunday afternoon either.
Fran
Mar 28, 2008 Fran rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers, cat lovers
Recommended to Fran by: came "free" from a mystery book club
Shelves: mysteries
Fairly entertaining book, with funny cat overtones.
Lori
Apr 05, 2010 Lori added it
Book club reading, it was good.
Erica
Oct 03, 2011 Erica rated it it was ok
Dry writing and not enough false clues.
Carla
Nov 14, 2010 Carla rated it it was ok
mildly entertaining
Suzi Barbee
Suzi Barbee rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Christie Boudreaux
Christie Boudreaux marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Bianka
Bianka rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Emily Grenon
Emily Grenon rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Bkk
Bkk rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
  • Full Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #2)
  • Grave Music (Bill Slider, #4)
  • The Chardonnay Charade (Wine Country Mysteries #2)
  • The Fourth Time Is Murder (Posadas County Mystery, #6)
  • Swift Run (A Charlie Swift Mystery #3)
  • Cruising in your Eighties is Murder
  • Beluga (Nick Reid, #2)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald, #2)
  • Death Rides Again (Jocelyn Shore #3)
  • But Why Shoot the Magistrate? (Thoroughly Southern, #2)
  • Mr. Monk Gets Even (Mr. Monk, #15)
  • Mr. Monk Helps Himself (Mr. Monk #16)
  • Prescription For Murder (Murder, She Wrote #39)
  • The Alpine Christmas (Emma Lord Mystery, #3)
  • Dancing Bear
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1)

Sheriff Dan Rhodes (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • Shotgun Saturday Night (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #2)
  • Cursed to Death (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #3)
  • Death on the Move (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #4)
  • Evil at the Root (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #5)
  • Booked for a Hanging (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #6)
  • Murder Most Fowl (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #7)
  • Winning Can Be Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #8)
  • Death by Accident (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #9)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #10)