Start by marking “A Ghost of a Chance (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #10)” as Want to Read:
A Ghost of a Chance (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #10)

A Ghost of a Chance (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #10)

In this tenth installment of the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series, the Blacklin County Texas law enforcer is back to solve even more mysteries. Some of the most amusing sequences in Crider's Blacklin county mysteries are set in the jailhouse, and star the ongoing word battles between its two septuagarian denizens, Hack the dispatcher and Lawton, the jailer. This time no one at th ...more
Published July 14th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Ghost of a Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ghost of a Chance

Karl
Aug 12, 2015 Karl rated it really liked it
Ghosts and Meth dealers are haunting the town. So Who ya gunna call ? Well you can't call Ghostbusters as they have no franchise anywhere near the town, so it's up to the Sheriff to get to the bottom of the meth cooking and ghostly hauntings that are taking place. Not only that, there have been two high profile murders that have taken place in the town.

And how will Sheriff Rhodes avoid adopting three cats, to which he thinks he is allergic to. All this and more take place in this easy reading, a
Levi
Oct 20, 2016 Levi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very interesting because of the sharp twist and turns in the plot, Sheriff Rhodes has his hands full. I would recemend this book to anyone that likes mystery and excitement because with all these ghost you will have thrills.
Ed
Jul 06, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like Bill's small town sheriff and admire his storytelling...it's my own roots in a different Southern state--Virginia.
Glen
Jul 31, 2013 Glen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another good book in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. This time he's got to deal with ghosts, feuding historical societies, and a drug ring.

I recommend it.
george burns
Aug 30, 2014 george burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crimes Galore

Ghosts, cemeteries ransacked, the wrong body in an open grave, Sheriff Dan Rhodes has more than enough things to investigate. The plot is ingenious and the sheriff follows false trails and suffers injuries before he solves all of the problems. Through it all he keeps his good humor and enforces the law with a minimum of violence. Probably the only sheriff in Texas without a Stetson, if he wore a hat it would be white. If only he could give up Dr. Pepper and Vienna sausages. His two
Ed
Aug 07, 2012 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law-enforcement
#10 of the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. Quick read with folksy Sheriff Rhodes wandering around picking up information and getting beat up.

Sheriff Dan Rhodes of Blacklin County, Texas, faces a couple of unusual problems: there's a ghost haunting his jail, and someone is stealing graveyard art from the county cemeteries. When Ty Berry is found shot in a gravesite, Rhodes knows Berry's mission to end the cemetery crimes may be the motive for his death. Rhodes' easy-going nature and melancholic fondne
Susan
Jan 29, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-texas
When the local undertaker calls to report he's found a dead man in the cemetery, sheriff Dan Rhodes is off on another investigation, this one complicated by the return to Blacklin County of two evil motorcyclists, Rapper and Nellie, who are up to something, but what? Suspects in the death include the president of the rival historical society, a dealer in collectibles, a newly successful romance writer, and a neighbor who says she only wants to keep things peaceful. Fast-paced and full of action ...more
Roberta
Getting elected president of the historical society is deadly in this 10th Sheriff Dan Rhodes mystery. The Packer family has apparently been breeding criminals for generations. Have they finally managed to breed a murderer? Or two? But the big mystery is: Why did Vernell Lindsey think that a three-foot fence would even slow down the escape of her three goats; Shirley, Goodness & Mercy?
Jill
Aug 26, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this being the 10th book in the series, you pretty much are assured that this someone was mentioned in a part book, he/she/them will end up getting "done in" in one of the next. There just aren't that many people left in his county. Still, I enjoyed this one. Also love the fact that Bill Crider feels a good story ought to be able to be told in under 200 pages.
Pam
Feb 05, 2016 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, mystery, fun, 2016
I enjoy listening to audios while working in the house, knitting, and cooking. This series caught my eye because it's narrated by George Guidall, one of my favorite readers. These are fun stories, set in a small Texas town and full of all the quirky characters you'd expect, and overseen by the wise and kind sheriff who oversees them all.
Peggy
Jun 01, 2015 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ghost of a Chance

Bill Crider's character Sheriff Dan Rhodes is back in book 10 of series.
And Crider does not disappoint. Clearview,Texas is filled with the most interesting characters .
This time we 2 murders,three loose goats,four roaming emus and tombstone robberies for Dan n Rhodes to figure out and catch.

Fun read. Worth the your time.
Nikki
Oct 14, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working my way through this series as I find the audio versions. I like the quirkiness of the characters.
Randy
Dec 29, 2009 Randy rated it it was amazing
Sheriff Rhodes has to deal with supposed ghosts, two murders, and thefts from cemeteries in his county. Not to mention two motorcycle thugs that pop up all to frequently in he series.
Erin
Jan 01, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny. Bill Crider continually turns out fast paced witty mysteries with lovable characters.
Lisa Patton
Jun 06, 2013 Lisa Patton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, a little slow at first, but got better as it went.
Tomi
Sep 08, 2013 Tomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery and a quick read...the characters were believable and interesting. I will be looking for more in this series.
Connie Becerra
May 04, 2012 Connie Becerra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. Think I will like this series.
Bettina Elliott
Mar 09, 2016 Bettina Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another good one in the series.
Melissa
Way better then the last one. It's a quick, easy read with fun characters.
Chowhound88 (a.k.a. Ralph)
I enjoyed this book very much. Rapper is back. Guess which body part he loses this time.
Cindy
Dec 24, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, funny, series, 2012
Ah, Texas. I miss you. If I knew the sheriff in my little county back home, he would have been just like this.
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2017
David Mckenzie
David Mckenzie rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Bobbie
Bobbie rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Teresa Parrish
Teresa Parrish rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
Athena
Athena rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Belinda
Belinda rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Sheriff Dan Rhodes (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • Shotgun Saturday Night (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #2)
  • Cursed to Death (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #3)
  • Death on the Move (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #4)
  • Evil at the Root (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #5)
  • Booked for a Hanging (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #6)
  • Murder Most Fowl (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #7)
  • Winning Can Be Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #8)
  • Death by Accident (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #9)
  • A Romantic Way to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #11)