Start by marking “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Great Illustrated Classics)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Great Illustrated Classics)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,370 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The world's best-loved children's stories set in large type for easy reading.
-- Over 100 illustrations in each book
Published August 22nd 2000 by Playmore Publishers (first published 1977)

Animal Farm by George OrwellAmong the Hidden by Margaret Peterson HaddixWoods Runner by Gary PaulsenOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Top 100 Children's Books
49th out of 76 books — 8 voters
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter e o Prisioneiro de Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter e o Príncipe Misterioso by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter e o Cálice de Fogo by J.K. Rowling
Já li! - PORTUGAL
450th out of 587 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Chance
A decent read.

Starts out as a sort of mystery story, but evolves into more character-centric story.

The downsides:
- The incessant scientific descriptions of the fauna. I mean seriously, telling me a fish's full scientific classification doesn't really do anything for me.

- Pacing is a bit weird.

- Ending felt abrupt and didn't really add to the story. It felt like Verne just got tired of writing and quickly thew together a "conclusion".

- The book's protagonist is easily the second most boring
Melissa Mahle
The hallmark of a classic story is to be able to enchant readers across generations. Verne has certainly achieved this with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I never read this book as a child (or even saw any of the movies). I suspect I would have found the vocabulary too difficult, especially the names of all the marine life. The characters are all so very interesting. I particularly am inspired by Conseil, the role he plays as Aronnax's sidekick...respectful, helpful, but a lot too him beyond that ...more
Anthony Gomez
This book is about these three man that are on a mission to kill this unknown creature. Then a incident that the men go over bored. They get saved by a mysterious person. Now the three men decides to stay with him and now they go on the best adventure of their life.
Aj
Awesome!! I loved this book.
Megan
A classic for good reason. It's a little mind-boggling that submarines were all theoretical when this was written, and that most of the sea life was described based on research and not practical knowledge. The story is engaging and the characters worth rooting for. I'm very interested to read more Jules Verne!
Colin R.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

20,000 Leagues under the sea is a great adventure novel. This book written by Jules Verne was a fascinating way to learn about the under water submarines. this story was a great one filled with energy adventure and even a little bit of mystery. This book takes you through the depths of the ocean like no other book has ever done. This book is a great classic read. The characters in this novel are amazingly put together and are all so different. The plot
Isaiah Thompson
I love this book. It is amazing so far and everyone should read it if they can get their hands on this wonderful book. It is a very thrilling experience.
Sanz
Read aloud to boys ages 7, 5, & 3. A bit intense and graphic at times. I thought it was okay. The boys really liked it. The 5 year old in particular.
Lisa Kizer
Love these classics especially when they are done in an easy to read format. My 6 year old wanted to read the second book to this story and did not like the answer that there was not another.
Rebecca
I always loved this book as a child and read it several times, a great fun story for all ages!
Ben Burkey
In 5th grade, I remember becoming a huge fan of the Great Illustrated Classic books. The first one I read was 2,000 Leagues Under the Sea and after that I was hooked. What I liked about this book was the topic. The extreme conditions and creatures they face. The reason why I liked that so much was because it seemed to scary and unbelievable which made me keep on reading. The ocean has always sparked to my interest which is why I enjoyed this book so much.
Wils Cain
For some reason I thought this book was like Moby Dick - except the battle between man and squid. WRONG! I guess I thought that because one of the covers has a giant squid on it. Anyway, a great story of three people who find themselves accidentally on the submarine Nautilus with Captain Nemo - the man who has turned his back on society to live underwater. But who is he, why has he done this, and what is he after?
Anthony Mcfarland
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Malvina G. Vogel came way out of left field and I loved it! There was twists and turns that you could have never saw coming. Id highly recommend this book to someone who liked a good story with a little stretch to it. On the other side if you like a book where everything goes right then keep looking, because not only is there a kidnaping, but there's ships being wrecked and sunk!
Allison
I read this with Jacob--he was really into it (but then, he did tell his preschool teacher that he was going to be a marine biologist). It was a great break from the last couple of months when all he has wanted was Jeff or I to TELL him a bedtime story (I can only be so creative for so long). I would recommend this to any little boys interested in the ocean.
Chris
It was a really enjoyable and very exciting underwater adventure book. It had very excellent illustrations, really interesting characters, lots of action, lots of adventure and a very interesting storyline. It's one of the best books I've ever read. I'm looking forward to watch Disney 1954 adaptation. I'm really recommend this book to adventure lovers of all ages.
Rob
This was a wonderful adaptation of Jules Verne's classic. It is a perfect version for reading aloud to your early grade school child. It tells the full tale of the original work, but in a language that is easier for 6-8 year olds to understand. If the rest of the Great Illustrated Classics series is like this one, I am definitely hooked!
Wende Green Frost
My 9 year old & I read this as a bedtime book. Despite being 140 years old, it was a wonderfully enjoyable adventure book that sparked conversation between us. I don't not know how much this version is edited, but it was a great version for our purposes. I highly recommend nudging your child to take on a classic such as this.
Sahil
This book is about a man who gets trapped on a submarine. He travels around the world on it. He got stuck in a lot of situations!
My favorite part was when Captain Nemo saved the man from a shark! I liked this book because there were lots of problems. I rate this book a million stars!
Gracie Covington
Nice and mysterious, I thought they were going to die at the end, but no, washed up on shore, it did not look interesting first, then became more interesting, and I learned a few new Latin words. Nemo: means nobody in Latin, I wonder if I will ever find the book Capt. Nemo wrote.
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
Aahhh..I've always been intrigued by the vastness and the mysteries of the sea esp the Deep Dark where everything is in darkness *shivers*.
This novel is brilliant. Absolutely engaging. I read a long time ago when I was still an adolescent. This is worth a keep and timeless classic.
Alicia
May 13, 2008 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science fiction lovers ages 5 and up
Recommended to Alicia by: Rachel
I'd never read this book at all, so I enjoyed it as much as Joshua and Rachel did. Now I finally understand who Captain Nemo is and what the Nautilus is! It's the perfect book for a 6-year-old who loves science/space/exploring underwater.
Michelle
I have heard this is the stupidest book ever. i advise not to read it. A group of kids in my class last year had to read it and they wanted to hurry up with it because they were so miserable reading it!!! so yeah
Becca
I read both the children's abridged version and the "real" version of this book, and strangely enough, both were good. :) Of course the full version is better (as always) but the abridged version wasn't half-bad.
Matija
For its age, a surprisingly lucid piece of sci-fi about an underwater voyage in a deep submersion vehicle - submarine, powered by the promising new technology - electricity. Good stuff even today.
Calvin
I read this when I was a kid, and am currently reading it again with my 9-year-old son. The writing is pretty dense. Perhaps a better translation than the one I have would help.
James
This is an abridged version for children. I use them (there is a series of books - The Great Illustrated Classics) to read with the our children every evening.
Marts  (Thinker)
Great Jules Verne classic, this illustrated one was quite enjoyable also, the movie versions are also quite good... This is one of my favourite Verne stories...
Johnny Bennett
At points I was very excited about this book as a tease for reading the real thing. In the end it just fell flat and wrapped itself up with out the needed emotion.
Cailie
I want to read this book becuase I have always loved the ocean. I think it would be a great book to read.
Natalie
A fantastic adventure to read aloud! We followed their journey on the map and learned about the Suez Canal.
  • Treasure Island (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Three Musketeers (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • Swiss Family Robinson (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  •  ألغاز إدجار آلان بو
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)
Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles (Illustrated Classic Editions) The Secret Garden (Great Illustrated Classics) Frankenstein David Copperfield (Illustrated Classic Editions) The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics)