Start by marking “Hop! Plop!” as Want to Read:
Hop! Plop!

Hop! Plop! (Gossie and Friends)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Hop! Plop! Boom! Bop! This day's fun will never stop!

Mouse and Elephant know that the perfect remedy to a boring day is a trip to the playground. But it's a little tough to decide which playground ride is their favorite. With Elephant so Big, and Mouse so Small, each ride can be a bit of a challenge for the pair. The seesaw sends Mouse soaring. The swings are a total flop
Published April 4th 2006 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Hop! Plop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hop! Plop!

Shelli
Oct 31, 2013 Shelli rated it it was amazing
After reading The Three Ninja Pigs I transferred the only other book our public library has by the talented Corey Rosen Schwartz: Hop! Plop!. While Ninja Pigs appeals to children of all ages Hop! Plop! is a read best appreciated by smaller kiddos. My 7th grader and I shared this adorable story this morning and I ended up laughing until my stomach hurt from her response to the characters.

“I’m bored” – said mouse.

“Get a Job” – said my daughter.

“Me too” – sighed Elephant

“Get a Life” – said my daugh
Boni
Dec 14, 2009 Boni rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific toddler picture book- fun sounds to read coupled with a great text-illustration interplay. This is one kids will want to examine on their own (several times over!) after a group read- and they'll take away something new each time.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Jan 19, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it really liked it
Cute book about friends.
Nice sound effects to read aloud.
I think kids would really love it, plus it takes place at a playground!

Haiku Review:
Mouse and Elephant
At the playground, try it all
what will be the best?
Desirée DeNourie
Jan 28, 2016 Desirée DeNourie rated it it was amazing
My twins got this book during the author's visit to their preschool. It was their FAVORITE book for a long time...and mine too! There's nothing better than a fun book, especially one with a message of friendship.
Katie
Feb 10, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
This book takes us on an adventure with polar opposites, Mouse and Elephant. Finding themselves bored, this duo of friends set out to explore the playground! The rhyming text as Mouse and Elephant explore the playground makes for a great introduction to word families and the concept of rhyming. Together, the two explore the seesaw. Elephant hops on and as a result of his weight, Mouse bops to the ground! Mouse tries to gain weight by eating a watermelon, but as a result of all the slurping, he b ...more
Erin
Sep 17, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Mouse and Elephant go to the playground for some fun. Everything seems to go wrong for them. They can't seesaw together. The swing breaks for Elephant and goes too fast for Mouse. Mouse wants to give up, but then Elephant makes a special slide for him using his trunk.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Paula
When Mouse and Elephant go to the playground together, it seems as if everything they try to play on together is broken, until they finally find the piece of equipment that is just right for them.
Janet
Feb 11, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Fun story of friends mouse and elephant going to the playground--especially the seesaw. The very young will understand the seesaw weight concept.
Rani
Jul 15, 2016 Rani rated it really liked it
#Elephant and #Mouse are good #friends. Together they discover an unique way to #play.
Kelly Ford
Feb 12, 2016 Kelly Ford rated it really liked it
Cute book, I plan on using it for my upcoming Toddler Time.
Jenn Swanson
Nov 13, 2014 Jenn Swanson rated it really liked it
Cute story about an unlikely pair at the playground.
Heidi
A fun book, and cute. Sweet at the end, too. A little reminiscent of "Elephant & Piggie" books. But I'm back and forth as to which group to use it with. A normal toddler group would be fine, but I get the under 1 year in my group. Lots of them. And I think the book would be too long for their attention span. Plus, I don't think they would get the flow of action. Even the older toddlers might not. The preschool group would enjoy all of the actions and accompanying sounds. But would the book s ...more
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 29, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
I really liked the way this book plays up the obliviousness of the two characters in how mismatched they are and the problems that creates in using the equipment.
Oct 23, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Great book for the 2-6 year old set. Fun story about friends helping friends and even introduces some physics young children. Illustrations are great too. The Eric Carle Institute listed it as a 2006 distinguished book of the year.
Beth
when Elephant and Mouse try to play together at a playground, things get a little difficult. Love all the use of onomatopoeia along with the end rhymes. Great rhythm as well.
Anji
Jul 05, 2010 Anji rated it really liked it
I love this book! A good friend trying to help his friend have a good time at the play ground. Very well written. "You're my favorite." Love it!
Susanna
Aug 11, 2011 Susanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An enjoyable story about teamwork and friendship with warmly appealing illustrations. Highly recommended for any toddler or preschooler.
The Styling Librarian
Very cute friendship book... playground adaptation. Found I could partner with Elephant and Piggie quite well.
Sharon
Jan 28, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Such a cute picture book! A fun on the tongue book that little ones will want to hear over and over again. :)
Lindsay
Feb 07, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute book about what kids do (play at the park) with language kids love (rhymes)!
Gheeta
Mar 05, 2012 Gheeta rated it liked it
A cute little kids' book I found while browsing at Office Depot of all places!
Shelby Troutman
Fun easy read for younger students. shows great use of sound effects.
Danielle
Apr 17, 2013 Danielle rated it liked it
Great for explaining sound words.
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Julie Dylingowski
Julie Dylingowski rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2016
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Sherry Beaubriand
Sherry Beaubriand rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Fox
Fox added it
Jul 17, 2016
Valentin Eni
Valentin Eni rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Corey is the author of HOP! PLOP! (Walker, 2006), THE THREE NINJA PIGS (Putnam, 2012) GOLDI ROCKS AND THE THREE BEARS (Putnam, forthcoming) and NINJA RED (Putnam, forthcoming). Corey has no formal ninja training, but she sure can kick butt in Scrabble. She lives with three Knuckleheads in Warren, NJ.
More about Corey Rosen Schwartz...

Gossie and Friends (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Gossie
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • Ollie
  • Ollie the Stomper
  • BooBoo
  • Peedie
  • Merry Christmas, Ollie!
  • Ollie's Easter Eggs (Gossie and Friends)
  • Ollie's Halloween