Start by marking “Hop! Plop!” as Want to Read:
Hop! Plop!

Hop! Plop! (Gossie and Friends)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Hop! Plop! Boom! Bop! This day's fun will never stop!

Mouse and Elephant know that the perfect remedy to a boring day is a trip to the playground. But it's a little tough to decide which playground ride is their favorite. With Elephant so Big, and Mouse so Small, each ride can be a bit of a challenge for the pair. The seesaw sends Mouse soaring. The swings are a total flop...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Hop! Plop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hop! Plop!

Shelli
After reading The Three Ninja Pigs I transferred the only other book our public library has by the talented Corey Rosen Schwartz: Hop! Plop!. While Ninja Pigs appeals to children of all ages Hop! Plop! is a read best appreciated by smaller kiddos. My 7th grader and I shared this adorable story this morning and I ended up laughing until my stomach hurt from her response to the characters.

“I’m bored” – said mouse.

“Get a Job” – said my daughter.

“Me too” – sighed Elephant

“Get a Life” – said my daugh...more
Boni
This is a terrific toddler picture book- fun sounds to read coupled with a great text-illustration interplay. This is one kids will want to examine on their own (several times over!) after a group read- and they'll take away something new each time.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Cute book about friends.
Nice sound effects to read aloud.
I think kids would really love it, plus it takes place at a playground!

Haiku Review:
Mouse and Elephant
At the playground, try it all
what will be the best?
Katie
This book takes us on an adventure with polar opposites, Mouse and Elephant. Finding themselves bored, this duo of friends set out to explore the playground! The rhyming text as Mouse and Elephant explore the playground makes for a great introduction to word families and the concept of rhyming. Together, the two explore the seesaw. Elephant hops on and as a result of his weight, Mouse bops to the ground! Mouse tries to gain weight by eating a watermelon, but as a result of all the slurping, he b...more
Erin
Mouse and Elephant go to the playground for some fun. Everything seems to go wrong for them. They can't seesaw together. The swing breaks for Elephant and goes too fast for Mouse. Mouse wants to give up, but then Elephant makes a special slide for him using his trunk.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Paula
When Mouse and Elephant go to the playground together, it seems as if everything they try to play on together is broken, until they finally find the piece of equipment that is just right for them.
Janet
Fun story of friends mouse and elephant going to the playground--especially the seesaw. The very young will understand the seesaw weight concept.
Heidi
A fun book, and cute. Sweet at the end, too. A little reminiscent of "Elephant & Piggie" books. But I'm back and forth as to which group to use it with. A normal toddler group would be fine, but I get the under 1 year in my group. Lots of them. And I think the book would be too long for their attention span. Plus, I don't think they would get the flow of action. Even the older toddlers might not. The preschool group would enjoy all of the actions and accompanying sounds. But would the book s...more
Great book for the 2-6 year old set. Fun story about friends helping friends and even introduces some physics young children. Illustrations are great too. The Eric Carle Institute listed it as a 2006 distinguished book of the year.
Beth
when Elephant and Mouse try to play together at a playground, things get a little difficult. Love all the use of onomatopoeia along with the end rhymes. Great rhythm as well.
Anji
I love this book! A good friend trying to help his friend have a good time at the play ground. Very well written. "You're my favorite." Love it!
Susanna
An enjoyable story about teamwork and friendship with warmly appealing illustrations. Highly recommended for any toddler or preschooler.
The Styling Librarian
Very cute friendship book... playground adaptation. Found I could partner with Elephant and Piggie quite well.
Sharon
Such a cute picture book! A fun on the tongue book that little ones will want to hear over and over again. :)
Lindsay
A cute book about what kids do (play at the park) with language kids love (rhymes)!
Gheeta
A cute little kids' book I found while browsing at Office Depot of all places!
Shelby Troutman
Fun easy read for younger students. shows great use of sound effects.
Danielle
Great for explaining sound words.
Clc2010
Clc2010 marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Az
Az marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Corey is the author of HOP! PLOP! (Walker, 2006), THE THREE NINJA PIGS (Putnam, 2012) GOLDI ROCKS AND THE THREE BEARS (Putnam, forthcoming) and NINJA RED (Putnam, forthcoming). Corey has no formal ninja training, but she sure can kick butt in Scrabble. She lives with three Knuckleheads in Warren, NJ.
More about Corey Rosen Schwartz...
The Three Ninja Pigs Ninja Red Riding Hood Goldi Rocks & the Three Bears What About Moose?