Start by marking “The Homeless Channel” as Want to Read:
The Homeless Channel

The Homeless Channel

When Darcy Shaw starts a 24-hour cable network called "The Homeless Channel," she thinks she's got everything figured out. But confronted with an unexpected romance, a sibling out on the streets and corporate sponsors who think they know what's best for her network, Darcy starts to wonder which is more important: saving the world or saving herself. Check out Matt Silady's ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by AIT Planet Lar

To ask other readers questions about The Homeless Channel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homeless Channel

Aug 28, 2007 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: fans of the TV show Sports Night
Kinda weird giving my own novel a star rating. ; )

If anyone's interested in sampling the first chapter of the story, I invite them to check it out right here: [] There's also some behind-the-scenes type stuff for those (like me) who are into that sort of thing. Here's a selection of some of other reviews that are out there on the web:

"Matt Silady explores his ludicrous premise in Homeless Channel with intelligence, yielding powerful drama when Darcy's mentally ill sist
Sep 08, 2007 Don rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've known Matt Silady for about ten years; this is his first graphic novel, and it's fantastic. The story is of a woman who starts up a cable network completely built around the topic of the homeless in Chicago. There are standard cable shows that have their intent tweaked towards the subject at hand, and there are also times when they just have a live feed pointed at the streets. The story is compelling, the characters are flawed but likable, and the art style reminds me more than a little of ...more
Sep 04, 2007 Allen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
The story of The Homeless Channel is current and edgy. The characters seem very real, and the story unfolds at a slow yet interesting pace. Once I started reading it I couldn't stop till I was done. That to me is the true test of a great story. The art was also excellent. I had picked up the book at the Wizard World Chicago Con and that night had a pile of books to read. This one stood out from the bunch. The next day I was shooting video interviews and got a nice interview with Mr. Silady
Aug 21, 2007 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
An interesting concept that gets side-tracked a little too often for my tastes. There's a line towards the end where the main character says she's not sure what she wants The Homeless Channel to be; I kind of wonder if that's what Matt was going through as has we writing this book.

It's worth checking out though, it's well written for what it is and the art is serviceable. I just don't think it turned out to be what I thought it was going to be. I suggest reading Boing-Boing's review for an alter
Jul 17, 2007 Alarra rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
Thoughtprovoking. I enjoyed the characters, who were complex humans with idealism that often clashed with the realistically difficult issues involved in the area of homelessness and social justice. The art is simple, but fits nicely, and the main romantic relationship is framed well within the context of the struggle that Darcy has in trying to run a TV channel that raises awareness of the plight of homeless people while staying financially viable. The ending is simple and lovely.
May 06, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
Really solid debut graphic novel from a talent to watch out for in the future. Characters speak and act in realistic ways, and while the graphic novel sometimes seems to lose focus (is it a condemnation of reality tv, or a look at modern romance, or straight social commentary) etc, I can mostly write that off as being true to life. If someone put ME under a microscope, the focus of my own life story would also change from moment to moment (is his life a social commentary on the working class, or ...more
jonathan berger
Sep 08, 2007 jonathan berger rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who've already expressed an interest
Warm characterizations save an ambitious but overwrought comic. The ideas are halfway there, but the whole thing feels loosely-sketched, like a second or third draft. The innovative production method (photographing actors, reducing the photos to line are by hand) sounds appealling, but turns out to be a little flat on paper. Still, an ambitious idea and decent execution. I bet Silady learned a LOT, and I'm looking fwd to his next project.
Feb 06, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Full disclosure: I've met Matt Silady a couple of times and found him to be a pretty nice guy. He also wrote a kind review of a comic book I wrote right here on GoodReads. That said, my intention was to say nothing at all here if I read The Homeless Channel and didn't like it, taking the diplomatic (read: cowardly) way out.

Obviously, that was nothing to be worried about. Despite being leery of the book's high concept about a TV station devoted to the homeless, I was pleasantly surprised to disco
Sep 06, 2009 Christine rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I was slightly disappointed by this. The art, having a photographic style, was different relative to other graphic novels, and added a cold and bleak atmosphere to the overall setting. However, I found it to be flat as in having an effect of rendering the characters as emotionally dead and generic, and it gave me a difficult time in distinguishing between the characters.
The story tries to raise awareness of the issue of homelessness and poverty, and does bring to light many frustrations that
Sep 06, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: y2009-graphic
I like the idea of this book, the concept and its tackling of a social issue that hasn't been much addressed in the graphic medium. The narrative occasionally lost its way but was pretty good on the whole. I think most of my issues ended up being with the artwork. Some of the frames had the look of someone standing still (for a reference photo) trying to look like they're walking or moving. The faces are good, though. My other problem was with the homeless people -- I didn't believe their appear ...more
May 04, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
So...two girls walk into a cable station and say, "We want to bring attention to the problem of homelessness in this country by devoting an entire cable network to the issue, called The Homeless Channel. Who's in?" Remarkably, they get what they asked for. As depressing as this story could have been, it's really not as much about homelessness as it is about the life of the character who comes up with the idea for the channel. The story definitely touches on several aspects of homelessness (and h ...more
Apr 10, 2012 Aimee rated it liked it
I just picked this up from the library, having never heard of it, because a) I was in the mood for a graphic novel and b) I work in a homeless shelter and was curious. It was kinda neat. The faces were very expressive, the subject was interesting. I could easily picture a TV adaptation or something. I was really thrown by the pacing though--something about it didn't seem complete. Maybe that's just the style, but it seemed like things were happening very quickly without a lot of exposition and I ...more
Dec 18, 2007 Robin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like offbeat graphic novels
his graphic novel is very interesting because the artwork is done in a style that's unlike any other book I've seen. The story revolves around a network on TV called The Homeless Channel which uses its programming to show the plight of the homeless. The writer is a former middle school teacher who now teaches at the University of California, where he received a Master's in fiction.

This isn't a title that I expect will appeal to my teens here who read manga and superhero stories, but to those who
Aug 26, 2010 Aneesa rated it really liked it
An interesting story (with realistic and sometimes realistically lame dialog) about a woman who starts a t.v. network with programming all about the homeless.

Picked this book up at Aardvark on a whim and just found out that the author is a lecturer at CCA. Where was the graphic novel workshop when we were in school?!
Emilia P
Aug 26, 2007 Emilia P rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: dumb liberal kids i guess?
Shelves: comic-books
i think it was a bad weekend for comic books.
there was like a negative amount of plot structure in this book, and the comic book style was basically black-and-whited photographic, which in some cases might be ok, but in this case it just made me say "why didn't you spend the time you saved on drawing the art on making the story strong".

no dice.
Nov 07, 2007 Kyla rated it liked it
I actually liked the "hyper-real" drawing - reminded me of a cross between the Rotoscoping of "Waking Life" and the Ghost World duo of Enid and Rebecca - story, hmm, not bad, not earth shattering...graphic novels are where realism can be shelved, such as the idea that an entire channel dedicated to homelessness could actually be funded...
David Press
Aug 29, 2007 David Press rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. If you like Bendis's art in his early work, ala Torso and if you like Aaron Sorkin-like dialogue this book is definitely for you.

Matt is also extremely helpful to lost New Yorkers who have no idea what they're doing with the BART system.
Dec 18, 2011 Curtis rated it it was ok
The Homeless Channel is an interesting concept, and the illustrations are great. But ultimately, my interest waned as the story progressed. The characters fell flat, and it all felt a little contrived.
Dec 25, 2007 Ben rated it really liked it
I think any such effort that attempts to tackle social issues period deserves big props, but a send-up of reality television as well, plus good writing, excellent black and white drawings, comix sex, and pop culture references? I think that's awesome.
David Walsh
David Walsh rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Jason McNamara
Jason McNamara rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2007
Tasha rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2008
Carly Hallman
Carly Hallman rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Meri rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Arlian rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2012
Matt rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2009
Christopher Dodd
Christopher Dodd rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2007
Megan Kaminski
Megan Kaminski rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2007
Jacques rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2008
Joshua Strasburg
Joshua Strasburg rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Matt Silady grew up in the Chicago suburbs. After teaching eighth grade for six years in Champaign, Illinois, he moved west to pursue a career in writing. In June of 2007, he released his first graphic novel, The Homeless Channel. He recently accepted a senior lecturer position at the California College of the Arts where he currently teaches the school’s inaugural graphic novel workshop.
More about Matt Silady...