Start by marking “Don't Tell Me the Truth About Love” as Want to Read:
Don't Tell Me the Truth About Love

Don't Tell Me the Truth About Love

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Funny, tender, quirky, vulnerable, and exquisitely readable, Don’t Tell Me the Truth About Love — in seven virtuoso stories — explores contemporary relationships with wicked finesse and humor — perfect for your left-of-center Valentine. Rhodes — one of Granta’s Twenty Best Young British Novelists — writes some of the world’s most idiosyncratically charming, achingly honest ...more
Published January 4th 2006 by Canongate U.S. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Tell Me the Truth About Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Tell Me the Truth About Love

Jasmine
Dec 16, 2011 Jasmine rated it liked it
Shelves: british
So a year ago or maybe two I was sitting at a bar with this guy who use to come over to my apartment when he was drunk and depressed. He was lecturing me about how if I didn't lose weight, put on make up and wear revealing clothing I was never going to find a worthwhile man. I responded with that idiotic thing people say that basically means if they don't love me despite how I look I don't want them. another friend of mine who was there (also male) said if you aren't going to exploit being hot i ...more
Giovanna
Feb 15, 2009 Giovanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
The short stories contained within this book were wonderful to read. A few of them were quite silly, but always very charming. I especially loved the stories "Landfill" and "Glass eye". What I loved most was how each story seemed to focus on unconditional love. The story of the boy who turned himself into a violin was heartbreaking. I recommend this to everyone who enjoys short stories and a little bit of love :) (beware though, not always a happy ending!)

David Gallagher
If you are looking for happy endings, Rhodes is not your man. Three stars for this book seem sorta low, but 4 stars seem sorta high. Either way, 3 it is.

I have to say I'm mildly disappointed. I know Rhodes can do much better. His quirkiness and style are there, but I felt as though something was missing. Still - these stories touch many sensitive subjects, most often the one of unrequited love. I also loved the fact that in every story some sort of music or musical instrument was involved - like
Sally Whitehead
As a rule I'm not a fan of short stories and very rarely read them, certainly not in one sitting as a "book full".

But this is Dan Rhodes isn't it? As I said in my review of "Little Hands Clapping"...or was it "Gold"? He can do no wrong in my eyes.

Personally I find his style (part quirky fairytale, part magic realism, part indefinable) absolutely encapsulating.

Nick Davies
Jan 31, 2016 Nick Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up cheap from Amazon on the strength of having really enjoyed 'Anthropology' by the same author, and this was similarly brilliant as well. A collection of seven stories about love, these are written with beauty and innovation and an incredible gift for sensitive observation of ordinary people and extraordinary feelings. Quirky, playful and funny, but also saddening and bleak in places - many of the endings are not 'happy endings', and the final story poses incredibly important ...more
Michael Palkowski
Aug 06, 2013 Michael Palkowski rated it liked it
Incredibly dark, pensive and sad while maintaining an insanity which is intensely funny when done correctly. This is essentially what "Anthropology" could have been had Rhodes stretched the various micro sketch plots presented in the book into short stories. The fable like quality of the storytelling method and the characters unwitting naively in the face of delirious visions of mythological forever lasting love, give it that extra touch of brilliance. It exudes Kafkaesque bureaucratic comedy an ...more
Michael Vagnetti
Oct 14, 2011 Michael Vagnetti rated it it was ok
A manual of love story archetypes with fable genes: journeys, dreams, transformations, strangers, etc., along with some Grimm-like elements of viciousness. Pop-irony approach undermines any gains from the uneasiness; feels like a lack of commitment/insincere. Or, a strategy at to only be half-funny. Perhaps related: I kept feeling like the author was, subconsciously, apologizing for the writing.

The style is speed over texture, but I felt driven forward in a vanillamobile.

Too short, too delibera
Lena
Jul 04, 2007 Lena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovelorns
A collection of short stories about relationships and love. Quite a palatable read for many reasons -- the size of the fonts (very important for first impression) the simple sentences and easy-to-follow plots. But I guess the simplicity of it all foregrounds irony - that the truth is often unpalatable and unpleasant.

I particularly love "Landfill" but I can't really articulate why. It's probably irrational, like what love and emotions suppose to be.

Sam Grove
Oct 01, 2012 Sam Grove rated it really liked it
Shelves: weird-loves
Strange, quirky, beautiful and at times sad, this book perfectly describes love in all it forms and the sickness we all feel when love is too much for us to bear. They all fit into my fascination with expressions of passion, sex, infatuation, obsession and how far we all would go in the name of love. All in all, short but incredibly sweet.
Yuli
Mar 13, 2008 Yuli rated it really liked it
Fabulous short stories about love! They are either sad, funny, strange or (mostly) a mixture of them all. The way Dan Rhodes could extend the perception of love into the absurd is very intriguing. Everyone who has ever fallen in love, or think that they have, should read this book (well I guess that's almost about everyone!).
Sandra
Apr 14, 2014 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, borrowed
Lent and recommended to me by my son this was disappointing and after much persistence I only managed to read about 80% of it, not a single one of the stories being able to grab my attention.
Emma Suvall
Jul 01, 2012 Emma Suvall rated it really liked it
So far I've loved everything I've read by Rhodes, this being the latest. I have always been a fan of short stories, and the collection in Don't Tell Me the Truth About Love are fantastic.
Donika
Aug 22, 2011 Donika rated it really liked it
Very charming little collection of fairy tales, with lots of the Grimm aesthetic. Light and not very challenging, but clever enough that I'll be reading Rhodes' 'Anthropology.'
Emelie
Nov 04, 2013 Emelie rated it really liked it
I like Dah Rhodes, simple as. This book contains a few short stories about love. They are different from a lot of love stories, but they're funny and they always got a point.
ButtesChaumont
Rekisteröin kirjan BookCrossing.com-sivustolla!
Beckie
Dec 22, 2013 Beckie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
actually, maybe i just like dan rhodes' short stories, because these were good too (although, some of them were long enough to have chapters).
Lucy
Jul 26, 2007 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Jenna
Mar 11, 2008 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Dan Rhodes really taps into the archetypes of love, this is one of those books where you learn something about yourself just by reading it.
Artifice Magazine
Jul 02, 2009 Artifice Magazine rated it liked it
Shelves: rebekah
Dan Rhodes really had me at Anthropology, but it's been somewhat downhill from there. I keep really wanting to like his books.
R.
May 27, 2012 R. rated it liked it
Rachel Gopal
Mar 30, 2014 Rachel Gopal rated it liked it
I love how most of these stories had such unpredictable turns.

A few beginnings were slow but the stories were not too bad.
Lacey
Mar 25, 2008 Lacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-awhile-ago
Fairy-tale-esque short love stories (most of them ending tragically)... Perfect to read in bed with your significant other.
Christine Mariano
Jan 27, 2013 Christine Mariano rated it really liked it
Wonderfully presented the reality of Love.. Not all is rainbow and flowers.. My favorite is the Violincello..
Icha Rahmanti
Jul 19, 2007 Icha Rahmanti rated it really liked it
Shelves: iveread
Compilation of 7 short stories wrote by Dan Rhodes. My fave are Beautiful Consuela and The Painting.
Summer
Nov 20, 2007 Summer rated it really liked it
Awesome short stories that pulse with a very real, fast beating heart. Love the Rhodes.
Annapirita
Jul 17, 2013 Annapirita rated it really liked it
Omalaatuisia, hassuja, outoja ja ehkä siksi inhimillisiä tarinoita.
Kristen
Nov 16, 2007 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
his stories make me want to rip my hair out with adoration
Saya Hashimoto
Jul 24, 2010 Saya Hashimoto rated it liked it
Apparently love inevitably causes pain, hilarity or both.
Josh Ang
Jul 30, 2011 Josh Ang rated it it was amazing
Strange and wonderful stories
Natacake
May 04, 2013 Natacake rated it liked it
Weird, but kind of beautiful.
  • Confessions of a Falling Woman: And Other Stories
  • The Woman Who Married a Cloud: The Collected Short Stories
  • Severance
  • Enchanted Night
  • Holiday in a Coma & Love Lasts Three Years
It should be noted that a recent Gallup poll revealed that there are an estimated 14,000 writers worldwide who share Rhodes’ name. He is not to be confused with the Daniel Rhodes who writes books about vampires, or the Daniel Rhodes who writes books about ceramics, or the Dan Rhodes who writes books about theology, or the Danny Rhodes who writes teenage fiction, or the character Sheriff Dan Rhodes ...more
More about Dan Rhodes...