Start by marking “My Brother” as Want to Read:
My Brother

My Brother (My Family)

Korean edition of "My Brother" (2007) by Anthony Browne the author and illustrator of over 30 children's books and has won the Boston Globe Horn Book Honor Book, the Kate Greenaway Medal twice and the Hans Christian Andersen Award. Translated by Heo Eeun Mi.
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2007 by Ungjin Junor/Tsai Fong Books (first published March 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother

Ross Oates
Oct 05, 2011 Ross Oates rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My brother by Anthony Browne is a picture book about a young boy who idolizes his big brother. He repeatedly refers to his brother as being cool throughout the book for being able to do various things like writing brilliant stories and whistling.

This book would be suitable for children in nursery the children would be able to relate to it while the repetition throughout would make it easier for them to recognize words. However I didn’t enjoy and wouldn’t use it with any children I was teaching.
Allie Sargent
Feb 12, 2017 Allie Sargent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-brother
Summary: My Brother is a story about a young boy that is a big fan of his older brother. On each page the older brother is described as being "really cool". The older brother is shown doing different activities on each page such as reading books, writing stories, and blowing amazing bubbles with bubble gum. The pictures on each page are very simplistic and show what is cool about the older brother with arrows pointing out specific things, such as his "cool ears" and "cool shirt". After describin ...more
Kawsor Shepu
As the title suggests, this book is about the author’s brother. His brother is a wild rock singer who can draw anything and he is also a dazzling disco dancer! The list goes on but what really strikes me about this book is the use of diagrammatic pictures and labels which are used to really bring the descriptions to life.

This book can be used effectively in a year 3 or 4 class for English. The children may be asked to create and label a diagram about themselves or a family member. It will reall
Heidi-Marie
The book is cute, but probable more on the side of cutesy. And I think that would be too young for the K-5 age group. The book isn't as great for a storytime because it keeps pointing out all of the cool aspects of the brother. While that was the part I liked the best of the book, I wouldn't do a very good job at conveying the fun in that. And I think it's too young to give it book talk time. So I think I'll pass on it for that, but if you're looking for a book for a younger sibling who looks up ...more
Stacey Scanlon
Sep 27, 2011 Stacey Scanlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"My Brother" is a children's book describing a child's admiration for his older brother. The book is written in simple English with lots of colourful illustrations. "My brother is really COOL" is the opening line to the story and is accompanied by a simple drawing of a young boy with "cool ears", "cool hair", a "cool shirt" and "really cool sandals". The text and illustrations resemble that of a child's. I feel that this book would be suitable for a child in nursery up to year 2 as the children ...more
Shoaa Aljohani
Sep 18, 2014 Shoaa Aljohani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This picture book meant for younger readers is a simple, educational story about a boy thoroughly enamoured of his older brother. The pictures are bright and engaging, easy on the eyes, but somewhat simplistic. Speech indicators abound, in the form of buttons and open text that is scrawled right across the page. The book's design is high quality, and its large size makes for easy reading for children. Images certainly dominate the spare text, though they are often jumbled together in a haphazard ...more
JINA YU
This book is about the author's brother. Although the book level is 3.2 and AR point is 0.5, sentences are simple and repeated. I can imagine how the author admired his brother when he was a boy. What his brother did looks cool and awesome for Anthony because he couldn't do like his brother at that time. His brother must be a hero because he can jump, climb, play soccer, run fast, read, and write. This book is good for emergent readers because there is one sentence on one page and repeated phras ...more
Katy Houseman
This is a cute book for students that look up to their older siblings. There is repetion throughout the book, which will help young students recognize words. You could easily use the book for an early math lesson. You can have the students count the number times the word "cool" is read in the story.
TwoDrinks
Nah, I just didn't like this. It seemed like the plot was trying really hard to reinforce the word 'cool' as new vocabulary and in trying to pronounce everything as cool, every illustration seemed to be very uncool. I thought we were going to end up with some kind of Dwayne Dibley/Austin Powers image at the end. To be honest, it was a mercy this was a short book.
Katie Brown
My brother, by Anthony Browne is another good story when discussing families. I would not use this for older students. It is about how much a boy admires his brother who can do so many cool things. He has deep admiration and love for his brother.
The Brothers
I normally love Anthony Browne (Into the Forrest, Willy the Dreamer), but this book just fell flat for me. Let's just say that the little brother thinks his big brother is cool and uses the word "cool" a whole lot.

Illustrations are okay.
Chelsea
Browne, Anthony. My Brother. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 2007. Print. 24 p.
A love story for brothers, My Brother, shows readers all the “cool” things about a big brother. Written in diary-like form, the book is best for young readers ages 3 through 6.
Sep 24, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The hero-worship of the older brother is over-the-top here, but the ending statement (I'm cool, too) keeps it in balance. White background with cartoonish pictures of the brother, labeled to show his "cool" qualities.
Sun Woong Oh
Sep 28, 2013 Sun Woong Oh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Browne used full bleed on every page. On double page spread as well. It gives feeling like the book is full of something big. And the big one is my brother. He is super cool. He's good at everything. I love this book.
Jill
Mar 02, 2016 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is okay--nothing special. And I personally find the drawings odd--they kind of look like monkeys instead of boys to me. I wouldn't use it in storytime, but it was in one of our storytime kits.
kristina
Picture Book, Brothers, Heroes, Interpersonal Relationships

A child describes the many wonderful things about "my brother," who can fly, write amazing stories, and stand up to bullies.
The Styling Librarian
My Brother – kind picture book full of appreciation and love for siblings. Great for talking about self confidence.
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Sam Hughes
Sam Hughes rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2010
LTBMTA
LTBMTA rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2008
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Orq Brown
Orq Brown rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Mariana Vicario
Mariana Vicario rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Allison Riendeau
Allison Riendeau rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2013
Tallulah
Tallulah rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2007
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Rebecca Goldstein
Rebecca Goldstein rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Anthony Browne, a Hans Christian Andersen Medalist, is the author-illustrator of many acclaimed books for children, including SILLY BILLY and LITTLE BEAUTY. He lives in Kent, England.
More about Anthony Browne...

My Family (3 books)