My Brother

My Brother (My Family)

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Korean edition of "My Brother" (2007) by Anthony Browne the author and illustrator of over 30 children's books and has won the Boston Globe Horn Book Honor Book, the Kate Greenaway Medal twice and the Hans Christian Andersen Award. Translated by Heo Eeun Mi.
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2007 by Ungjin Junor/Tsai Fong Books (first published March 20th 2007)

Ross Oates
My brother by Anthony Browne is a picture book about a young boy who idolizes his big brother. He repeatedly refers to his brother as being cool throughout the book for being able to do various things like writing brilliant stories and whistling.

This book would be suitable for children in nursery the children would be able to relate to it while the repetition throughout would make it easier for them to recognize words. However I didn’t enjoy and wouldn’t use it with any children I was teaching....more
Kawsor Shepu
As the title suggests, this book is about the author’s brother. His brother is a wild rock singer who can draw anything and he is also a dazzling disco dancer! The list goes on but what really strikes me about this book is the use of diagrammatic pictures and labels which are used to really bring the descriptions to life.

This book can be used effectively in a year 3 or 4 class for English. The children may be asked to create and label a diagram about themselves or a family member. It will reall...more
Heidi
The book is cute, but probable more on the side of cutesy. And I think that would be too young for the K-5 age group. The book isn't as great for a storytime because it keeps pointing out all of the cool aspects of the brother. While that was the part I liked the best of the book, I wouldn't do a very good job at conveying the fun in that. And I think it's too young to give it book talk time. So I think I'll pass on it for that, but if you're looking for a book for a younger sibling who looks up...more
Stacey Scanlon
"My Brother" is a children's book describing a child's admiration for his older brother. The book is written in simple English with lots of colourful illustrations. "My brother is really COOL" is the opening line to the story and is accompanied by a simple drawing of a young boy with "cool ears", "cool hair", a "cool shirt" and "really cool sandals". The text and illustrations resemble that of a child's. I feel that this book would be suitable for a child in nursery up to year 2 as the children...more
TwoDrinks
Nah, I just didn't like this. It seemed like the plot was trying really hard to reinforce the word 'cool' as new vocabulary and in trying to pronounce everything as cool, every illustration seemed to be very uncool. I thought we were going to end up with some kind of Dwayne Dibley/Austin Powers image at the end. To be honest, it was a mercy this was a short book.
Katy Houseman
This is a cute book for students that look up to their older siblings. There is repetion throughout the book, which will help young students recognize words. You could easily use the book for an early math lesson. You can have the students count the number times the word "cool" is read in the story.
Chelsea
Browne, Anthony. My Brother. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 2007. Print. 24 p.
A love story for brothers, My Brother, shows readers all the “cool” things about a big brother. Written in diary-like form, the book is best for young readers ages 3 through 6.
Katie Brown
My brother, by Anthony Browne is another good story when discussing families. I would not use this for older students. It is about how much a boy admires his brother who can do so many cool things. He has deep admiration and love for his brother.
The hero-worship of the older brother is over-the-top here, but the ending statement (I'm cool, too) keeps it in balance. White background with cartoonish pictures of the brother, labeled to show his "cool" qualities.
Sun Woong Oh
Anthony Browne used full bleed on every page. On double page spread as well. It gives feeling like the book is full of something big. And the big one is my brother. He is super cool. He's good at everything. I love this book.
The Styling Librarian
My Brother – kind picture book full of appreciation and love for siblings. Great for talking about self confidence.
Juliette Al-kadi
Juliette Al-kadi marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Oh Euijin
Oh Euijin is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2014
Amanda Wise
Amanda Wise marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Poemsea
Poemsea marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Anthony Browne, a Hans Christian Andersen Medalist, is the author-illustrator of many acclaimed books for children, including SILLY BILLY and LITTLE BEAUTY. He lives in Kent, England.
More about Anthony Browne...
Voices in the Park Gorilla Little Beauty One Gorilla Piggybook