Start by marking “A Place Called Morning” as Want to Read:
A Place Called Morning

A Place Called Morning

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Mae Demaray's life in an old clapboard house on a quiet Minneapolis street had been rich with the hues of security and love, beauty and faith. It carried the scent of flowers, the sound of quiet at daybreak, the laughter of children, the touch of God all giving her the satisfying sense of living life to its fullness. But that was before the March day when Mae's world was s ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 342 pages
Published December 31st 1999 by Thorndike Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Place Called Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place Called Morning

This book was so engaging. You want to beg Mae (the main character) to forgive herself, yet time and again, she doesn't. There are many predictable moments in this book, however there is always a twist. There is "I saw that coming--- but NOT that!" This book realistically portrays what not forgiving yourself can do to you and to the people around you. It shows how when we turn our backs to God, God gently pursues us back to Him and the path He has laid out for us. We are our best enemies. We tak ...more
Some of us live with "what-if." Mae lives with "if only." A life-shattering event happened 5 years earlier which she is unable to forgive herself for, blaming herself, reliving the event over in her mind. Roy knows about the pain and would like to take it from her even if he had to bear it himself. No one else blames Mae; it was an accident. It could have happened to anyone.

This story moves back and forth from Mae's earlier years growing up and then with her husband, George and their two childr
Jeni Enjaian
While I still really enjoyed this book it did not live up to my standards of what a four star book should be.

As one of Ann Tatlock's earliest books, she hadn't yet hit her stride when it comes to story telling. Some of her later books venture out more into more difficult topics. (She also navigates those waters with deft skill as a wordsmith.) This book, however, came close to several clichés. Since I have read this book before, I'm not sure if the slightly predictable nature of the plot had mor
I must say, this book was a little too heavy handed in the gloom and doom department for me. 238 pages of it and the book is only 281 pages long. I'm just being honest. Mae is a middle aged woman living in the old family home after losing her parents and eventually her husband. There is an old family friend, Roy, that has always been like part of the family and he comes around a couple of times a week to do chores and help out around the house. Good ole Roy, a little slow mentally but childlike ...more
I can see how some people might get turned off by the underlying Christian messages throughout the novel.
But for me, it didn't come across as too preachy or over-the-top so I was OK with it.
Good story and well written.
Probably the most overtly religious of Ann Tatlock's books that I have read. It is pretty heavy, but I found it moving. The ending dragged out a bit, but worked.
Kristina Hoagland
I had a difficult time getting into this book. It is the authors second book and I could tell. A little past midpoint the story took off a bit. There weren't any surprises as early on I figured out the plot. What was interesting, though a little simplistic, was the transformation the main character undergoes. I've read other books the author wrote later in her career and her style has much improved. This book is worth read simply for it's message of self forgiveness...
Sarah Key
The book had some very well-written parts. It was a bit difficult though with the author's style. You adapt slowly in the beginning. However, picking up this book, I actually thought I was about to read a story, not a hymnal. Certainly not suiting to my tastes in the least.
Ann Tatlock is one of my favorite Christian authors. Her books are always well written and worth the reading time. I can't wait to see what she has to put out this year!
Liked book very much. Thrift store find. A tale about loss, gratitude and forgiveness. What the lack of gratitude and forgiveness can do to a person.
Kk marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Amy Davis
Amy Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Sam B
Sam B marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Linda Davis
Linda Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Dana marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • Songbird
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • Love, Charleston
  • Claiming Mariah
  • Twice Promised (The Blue Willow Brides, #2)
  • Room of Marvels
  • The Potluck Club Takes the Cake (The Potluck Club #3)
  • Beyond a Doubt (Rock Harbor Series #2)
  • Reconstructing Natalie
  • Flight of the Earls (Heirs of Ireland #1)
Ann Tatlock is a novelist and children’s book author. Her books have received numerous awards, including the Christy Award, the Midwest Book Award and the Silver Angel Award for Excellence in Media. She also serves as managing editor of Heritage Beacon, the historical fiction imprint of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. She lives with her family in Western North Carolina.
More about Ann Tatlock...
Promises to Keep I'll Watch the Moon All the Way Home Sweet Mercy A Room Of My Own