Start by marking “A Place Called Morning” as Want to Read:
A Place Called Morning

A Place Called Morning

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Mae Demaray's life in an old clapboard house on a quiet Minneapolis street had been rich with the hues of security and love, beauty and faith. It carried the scent of flowers, the sound of quiet at daybreak, the laughter of children, the touch of God all giving her the satisfying sense of living life to its fullness. But that was before the March day when Mae's world was s ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 342 pages
Published December 31st 1999 by Thorndike Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Place Called Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place Called Morning

Diana
Aug 05, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing
This book was so engaging. You want to beg Mae (the main character) to forgive herself, yet time and again, she doesn't. There are many predictable moments in this book, however there is always a twist. There is "I saw that coming--- but NOT that!" This book realistically portrays what not forgiving yourself can do to you and to the people around you. It shows how when we turn our backs to God, God gently pursues us back to Him and the path He has laid out for us. We are our best enemies. We tak ...more
Elaine
Nov 05, 2009 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of us live with "what-if." Mae lives with "if only." A life-shattering event happened 5 years earlier which she is unable to forgive herself for, blaming herself, reliving the event over in her mind. Roy knows about the pain and would like to take it from her even if he had to bear it himself. No one else blames Mae; it was an accident. It could have happened to anyone.

This story moves back and forth from Mae's earlier years growing up and then with her husband, George and their two childr
Jeni Enjaian
While I still really enjoyed this book it did not live up to my standards of what a four star book should be.

As one of Ann Tatlock's earliest books, she hadn't yet hit her stride when it comes to story telling. Some of her later books venture out more into more difficult topics. (She also navigates those waters with deft skill as a wordsmith.) This book, however, came close to several clichés. Since I have read this book before, I'm not sure if the slightly predictable nature of the plot had mor
Sheri
Dec 17, 2013 Sheri rated it it was ok
I must say, this book was a little too heavy handed in the gloom and doom department for me. 238 pages of it and the book is only 281 pages long. I'm just being honest. Mae is a middle aged woman living in the old family home after losing her parents and eventually her husband. There is an old family friend, Roy, that has always been like part of the family and he comes around a couple of times a week to do chores and help out around the house. Good ole Roy, a little slow mentally but childlike ...more
Victoria Kator
I liked this book however, I thought it was sad. One terrible happening after another for the main character. I loved the overall idea though of being able to forgive yourself and letting God back into your life and heart.
Shawn
Feb 18, 2014 Shawn rated it really liked it
I can see how some people might get turned off by the underlying Christian messages throughout the novel.
But for me, it didn't come across as too preachy or over-the-top so I was OK with it.
Good story and well written.
Kathy
May 25, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most overtly religious of Ann Tatlock's books that I have read. It is pretty heavy, but I found it moving. The ending dragged out a bit, but worked.
Kristina Hoagland
I had a difficult time getting into this book. It is the authors second book and I could tell. A little past midpoint the story took off a bit. There weren't any surprises as early on I figured out the plot. What was interesting, though a little simplistic, was the transformation the main character undergoes. I've read other books the author wrote later in her career and her style has much improved. This book is worth read simply for it's message of self forgiveness...
Sarah Key
May 11, 2010 Sarah Key rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
The book had some very well-written parts. It was a bit difficult though with the author's style. You adapt slowly in the beginning. However, picking up this book, I actually thought I was about to read a story, not a hymnal. Certainly not suiting to my tastes in the least.
Meaghan
Dec 23, 2013 Meaghan rated it it was amazing
Ann Tatlock is one of my favorite Christian authors. Her books are always well written and worth the reading time. I can't wait to see what she has to put out this year!
Karnelle
Jan 07, 2013 Karnelle rated it really liked it
Liked book very much. Thrift store find. A tale about loss, gratitude and forgiveness. What the lack of gratitude and forgiveness can do to a person.
Regina Wilson
Regina Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Keri
Keri added it
Mar 14, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
James1080
James1080 rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Pamela Burkhalter
Pamela Burkhalter marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Sandra Hill
Sandra Hill rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Sandy Clark
Sandy Clark marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Kem
Kem rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Jan 24, 2016
Shaelene
Shaelene rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
  • Room of Marvels
  • Love, Charleston
  • Maggie Bright: A Novel of Dunkirk
  • Claiming Mariah
  • Twice Promised (The Blue Willow Brides, #2)
  • Flight of the Earls (Heirs of Ireland #1)
  • Reconstructing Natalie
  • Where Treasure Hides
Ann Tatlock is a novelist and children’s book author. Her books have received numerous awards, including the Christy Award, the Midwest Book Award and the Silver Angel Award for Excellence in Media. She also serves as managing editor of Heritage Beacon, the historical fiction imprint of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. She lives with her family in Western North Carolina.
More about Ann Tatlock...