Start by marking “A Simple Suburban Murder (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Simple Suburban Murder (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #1)

A Simple Suburban Murder (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When a gay high school teacher starts investigating a colleague's murder, he finds beneath the calm veneer of his Midwestern suburb a seamy underbelly of gambling, prostitution, and child abuse.

Simple Suburban Murder is the book that started it all--the debut novel of Lambda Literary Award winner Mark Richard Zubro.
Published December 31st 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Suburban Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Suburban Murder

Chris
Feb 01, 2012 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Eyre Monroe
Very good gay mystery about high school teacher Tom, who finds a much-hated math teacher dead in his classroom, and his closeted baseball player boyfriend, Scott.
A
Reading this book will make one feel mystified, sadness, anger, helplessness, relief, and then heartbreak. The author did not disappoint with this mystery starring Tom and his partner Scott.
Joseph
I do love a good gay-themed series of mysteries and have been reading them for years. Recently, I came across this gem and LOVED the main characters. I believe my husband Bill will love them too.

The main characters are a English High School teacher, and his professional Baseball playing lover. The politics of a high school setting with the combination of great plot, fast pace and people you can care about will get me to buy book two in what is over 13 book series!
Walter Hopgood
While I don't like works in First Person, some pieces intrigue me. This was one of those; the plot was interesting, and I liked the characters. Depressing ending, but not unexpected. Glad I read it though - I'll move on to the other books in the series.
Ije the Devourer of Books

A simple suburban murder. Or is it? Tom Mason is an ex-marine and now a devoted school teacher, who finds himself plunged into a murder mystery when he discovers the dead body of another teacher in his class one early morning. When shots are fired at him and the dead man's son goes missing, Tom decides to investigate for himself despite a rather unfriendly police detective, an irritating school superintendent and a bullying school principal. Tom teams up with his closeted baseball player partner
Lexxi Kitty
I'd have to check to make sure, but I believe this is the first M-M book I've read that I've been able to give as much as 4 stars to. It's not the first non-sexual/erotic M-M book I've read, that would probably be that China Mountain Zhang book. I believe it's the first M-M mystery I've read, though.

The book is fairly straight forward as far as plot/story. As in as far as an amateur detective type book. It did include the lead having a partner. That doesn't always happen in amateur detective sto
Jim McIntosh
Sadly, not a good book. Not even a tolerable book. The characters do silly things to create great tension, but to no effect. Skip it.
Cris
To be honest, a big part of the reason I picked this book up was its reputation as an early example of gay characters in a mystery who were more than their sexual orientation. Unfortunately, I simply couldn't get into the book. I found the writing stilted, especially the dialogue. Maybe the book improves, but I couldn't bring myself to read far enough to find out.
Michael
Bottom line, in my opinion: unless you can read anything as long as it has gay characters, give this a pass. Total lack of character development, one-dimensional with no depth. I don’t even have any desire to try another book in this series.
Bev
It's been a while since I read this one..don't remember much. But I have it labeled ""Yuck"" in my reading log. Which simply means I hated it. Should have noted down why
Cecil James
A very good murder mystery.
Jimmy
Jimmy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Varecia
Varecia marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Libncourt
Libncourt marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Josh Hamilton
Josh Hamilton is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2015
Mfrank
Mfrank marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • Murder In The Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod, #1)
  • Closet (Todd Mills Mystery #1)
  • Gravedigger (Dave Brandstetter, #6)
  • The Actor's Guide To Murder (A Jarrod Jarvis Mystery #1)
  • Stain of the Berry (A Russell Quant Mystery, #4)
  • Simple Justice (Benjamin Justice, #1)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • Missing Daughter, Shattered Family (David Lloyd Investigations #1)
  • Hit The Road, Manny (The Manny Files #2)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
Mark Richard Zubro is an American mystery novelist. He lives in Mokena, Illinois and taught 8th grade English at Summit Hill Jr. High in nearby Frankfort Square, Illinois.

Zubro writes bestselling mysteries set in Chicago and the surrounding Cook County area, which are widely praised as fast-paced, with interesting plots and well-rounded, likeable characters. His novels feature gay themes, and Zubr
More about Mark Richard Zubro...

Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Why Isn't Becky Twitchell Dead? (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #2)
  • The Only Good Priest (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #3)
  • The Principal Cause of Death (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #4)
  • An Echo of Death (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #5)
  • Rust on the Razor (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #6)
  • Are You Nuts? (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #7)
  • One Dead Drag Queen (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #8)
  • Here Comes the Corpse (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #9)
  • File Under Dead (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #10)
  • Everyone's Dead But Us (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #11)
Safe Why Isn't Becky Twitchell Dead? (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #2) Sorry Now? (Paul Turner, #1) The Only Good Priest (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #3) Another Dead Teenager (Paul Turner, #3)