Start by marking “A Simple Suburban Murder (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Simple Suburban Murder (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #1)

A Simple Suburban Murder (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When a gay high school teacher starts investigating a colleague's murder, he finds beneath the calm veneer of his Midwestern suburb a seamy underbelly of gambling, prostitution, and child abuse.

Simple Suburban Murder is the book that started it all--the debut novel of Lambda Literary Award winner Mark Richard Zubro.
Published December 31st 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Suburban Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Suburban Murder

Feb 01, 2012 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Eyre Monroe
Very good gay mystery about high school teacher Tom, who finds a much-hated math teacher dead in his classroom, and his closeted baseball player boyfriend, Scott.
Ulysses Dietz
I need to catch up on Mark Zubro’s books. “A Simple Suburban Murder” is from what must have been his first series of books, published under his full name by St. Martin’s Press (one of the few gay-friendly mainstream presses in the 1980s). It is one of the “Tom & Scott” series: Tom is a high school teacher in a suburb of Chicago, and Scott is a famous baseball player. Tom is sort of out in the way school teachers had to be in the late 1980s, and Scott is deep in the closet, as big-league base ...more
Reading this book will make one feel mystified, sadness, anger, helplessness, relief, and then heartbreak. The author did not disappoint with this mystery starring Tom and his partner Scott.
Ije the Devourer of Books

A simple suburban murder. Or is it? Tom Mason is an ex-marine and now a devoted school teacher, who finds himself plunged into a murder mystery when he discovers the dead body of another teacher in his class one early morning. When shots are fired at him and the dead man's son goes missing, Tom decides to investigate for himself despite a rather unfriendly police detective, an irritating school superintendent and a bullying school principal. Tom teams up with his closeted baseball player partner
Lisa - President of Challengeaholics  Anon and Challenge Enabler
This was a new author for me and I was pleasantly surprised.
The mystery was a good solid one. I did not guess the identity of the murderer until it was revealed at the end.
If I had any complaints it would be that there wasn't enough loving between the 2 MCs. Then again the book is 26 years old and maybe back then when it was written it was more about the romance and less about erotica.
My hometown was tiny and had a library filled with books that came over on the ark. However, that did not matter for the books with their yellow musty pages fed my love for reading. I matched wits with the detectives created by McBain, Christie, Doyle, Stout, Gardner and Shannon to solve the murder before they made the big reveal. I left my hometown and that old library but not my love of reading or a good mystery.

I recently discovered the Tom & Scott Mystery series. Tom is an ex-Marine tur
I do love a good gay-themed series of mysteries and have been reading them for years. Recently, I came across this gem and LOVED the main characters. I believe my husband Bill will love them too.

The main characters are a English High School teacher, and his professional Baseball playing lover. The politics of a high school setting with the combination of great plot, fast pace and people you can care about will get me to buy book two in what is over 13 book series!
Walter H.
While I don't like works in First Person, some pieces intrigue me. This was one of those; the plot was interesting, and I liked the characters. Depressing ending, but not unexpected. Glad I read it though - I'll move on to the other books in the series.
Lexxi Kitty
I'd have to check to make sure, but I believe this is the first M-M book I've read that I've been able to give as much as 4 stars to. It's not the first non-sexual/erotic M-M book I've read, that would probably be that China Mountain Zhang book. I believe it's the first M-M mystery I've read, though.

The book is fairly straight forward as far as plot/story. As in as far as an amateur detective type book. It did include the lead having a partner. That doesn't always happen in amateur detective sto
Jim McIntosh
Sadly, not a good book. Not even a tolerable book. The characters do silly things to create great tension, but to no effect. Skip it.
To be honest, a big part of the reason I picked this book up was its reputation as an early example of gay characters in a mystery who were more than their sexual orientation. Unfortunately, I simply couldn't get into the book. I found the writing stilted, especially the dialogue. Maybe the book improves, but I couldn't bring myself to read far enough to find out.
Bottom line, in my opinion: unless you can read anything as long as it has gay characters, give this a pass. Total lack of character development, one-dimensional with no depth. I don’t even have any desire to try another book in this series.
It's been a while since I read this one..don't remember much. But I have it labeled ""Yuck"" in my reading log. Which simply means I hated it. Should have noted down why
A very good murder mystery.
Coty marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Jon marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Mother marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Anna Mladen
Anna Mladen marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Ikhneumon marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Elvis Ogwell
Elvis Ogwell marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Nila marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
D-Dee marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Chuck marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Mark Richard Zubro, a Simple Suburban Murder 2 7 Sep 10, 2015 04:01AM
  • Murder In The Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod, #1)
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • Simple Justice (Benjamin Justice, #1)
  • The Actor's Guide To Murder (A Jarrod Jarvis Mystery #1)
  • Gravedigger (Dave Brandstetter, #6)
  • Closet (Todd Mills Mystery #1)
  • Stain of the Berry (A Russell Quant Mystery, #4)
  • A Time For Secrets (Boystown #4)
  • Howtown
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Missing Daughter, Shattered Family (David Lloyd Investigations #1)
Mark Richard Zubro is an American mystery novelist. He lives in Mokena, Illinois and taught 8th grade English at Summit Hill Jr. High in nearby Frankfort Square, Illinois.

Zubro writes bestselling mysteries set in Chicago and the surrounding Cook County area, which are widely praised as fast-paced, with interesting plots and well-rounded, likeable characters. His novels feature gay themes, and Zubr
More about Mark Richard Zubro...

Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Why Isn't Becky Twitchell Dead? (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #2)
  • The Only Good Priest (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #3)
  • The Principal Cause of Death (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #4)
  • An Echo of Death (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #5)
  • Rust on the Razor (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #6)
  • Are You Nuts? (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #7)
  • One Dead Drag Queen (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #8)
  • Here Comes the Corpse (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #9)
  • File Under Dead (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #10)
  • Everyone's Dead But Us (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #11)