Start by marking “The Premature Baby Book: A Parents Guide to Coping and Caring in the First Years” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The Premature Baby Book is the result of seven years of intense research into medical literature, and of interview with neonatologists, intensive care nurses, social workers, therapists and hundreds of parents of prematures. From her research and personal experience, Helen Harrison knows exactly what parents want and need to know to deal with the emotional, medical, and pr ...more
Published July 15th 1983 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Premature Baby Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Premature Baby Book

Mel
I was twenty when I gave birth to my son. Because I was barely out of my own childhood at that age, to say that I was unprepared for the trials of giving birth to a premature child is an understatement. Normal pregnancy and child birth would've been difficult enough, but my world was immediately filled with medical terms no new mom should ever have to know.

This book helped me make sense of it all.

I was afraid and overwhelmed, not to mention completely unqualified to parent a preemie -- or so I t
Marie
At the time Chris was born, this was the only book out there. But it absolutely terrified me. The book didn't even mention babies who were born before 27 or 28 weeks...it was good to have the book, because it was better than nothing. But it scared me to death.
Sharon Berg
Read this for my work in early intervention. Extremely helpful in understanding the medical and emotional issues related to premature birth and its impact on the family.
Gislayne
Gislayne marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Marivic Mercado
Marivic Mercado marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Sheikh Aksane
Sheikh Aksane marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Jodi
Jodi added it
Aug 18, 2009
Ang
Ang added it
Apr 05, 2008
Helen A. Harrison is an art historian, museum director and journalist who specializes in modern American art. From 1978-2006, she wrote art reviews and feature articles for the Long Island section of The New York Times. She is currently the director of the Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center in East Hampton, New York.
The museum, a National Historic Landmark, is the former home and studio of Jac
More about Helen A. Harrison...
Such Desperate Joy: Imagining Jackson Pollack Hamptons Bohemia: Two Centuries of Artists and Writers on the Beach Jackson Pollock: Phaidon Focus Dawn of a New Day: The New York World's Fair, 1939/40 Nick and Cecilia in York Minster