beast feast

beast feast

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this hilarious collection of twenty-one original animal poems and paintings, the animals are out in all their finned, furry, and feathered glory. From lobsters to rheas to fireflies, kiwis to camels to chameleons, here’s a beast for everyone to love!
Published March 15th 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published June 6th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about beast feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about beast feast

Dolly
Mar 01, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Short poems about various animals with humorous watercolor paintings that accompany each. The poems remind me somewhat of Shel Silverstein, with their short length and the way that the words are often shaped in various sizes and fonts to help convey the meaning of the poem. Fun book to read aloud.
Barbara
Relying on short lines with carefully chosen words, the poet offers readers 21 different poems that ruminate about the nature of various beasts. Thus, one poem ("The Walrus") ponders what "Makes the walrus/ Walrusty" (p. 6)while another one ("The Whale") describes how the whale "spew[s] a spout" (p. 22), insuring that everyone notices him. Most fun to read aloud, though, has to be "The Boa," which ends "There's moa and moa and moa and moa" (p. 13). The poems alternate with intriguing full-page w...more
Dorothy Carder
The illustrations were drawn to make each animal look scary, in part probably because of the title of the book. These were short poems, which would make it easy for a young student to read them. I also thought because of the content of the "scary" animals the book would be better geared towards little boys.
Jonathan H.
Beast Feast in a poetry anthology. It has twenty-one poems about various creatures. Most poems were rhyming poems, but there where a few picture poems. The poems talked about what was unique about each animal, or what was a special feature. This book really helps people learn about the animals and what is unique about each.
The poems were written by Douglas Florian. Florian is an artist and writer from New York City. Florian included a water color painting of each beast with the corresponding po...more
Kristin
SUCH a great book for little dudes. Henry loves the enormous watercolors, and I love reading him the poems. Some are just a few lines long while others are about a page. My favorite is the rhea:

The rhea really isn't strange
It's just an ostrich, rearranged.

Henry was kind of upset by the lobster upon our first reading. The lobster, you see, is a mobster. Henry does not support organized crime.
Lindsey Rogers
A book with short poems about small animals. Great book to discuss the many characteristics that animals have in our world. The easy rhyming is great for ESOL students and can help them become more fluent.
The topic is animals and diversity among animals.
I would use this book in grades K- 3.
Jen
I didn't like the pictures so much (water colors) some creepier than others, but the poems were very original and well written. Fun little book!!! (The author has very traditional poems, but then plays with words occassionally to make it fun)
Alison Tripp
This is a book of short poems about various animals. It introduces a lot of creatures kids are probably not immediately familiar with such as the kiwi. The poems are short and easy to read.
Jenna
I love this book of "beasts" and the poems that go along with each creature. I loved the watercolor illustrations. Children will love these poems if they have an interest in creatures and monsters.
Wendy
I haven't read this one as much with the kids but will when we start learning about more "beast-like" animals in preschool. Mike has read it to Ian many times and he likes "The Sloth."
Susan
Challenge your listeners to guess the animals featured through this descriptive poetry that highlights animals and their traits or habitats through rhyming text.
Gabriela Murillo
This is a poem book that contains different short funny animal poems. Each poem comes with an amazing drawing that is humorous. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Darrielle
This is a really great book of short poetry. The poems are funny and provide facts about creatures. share this book with 2nd to 5th grade students
Wendi
It talks about a lot of different animals. You get to learn about all the animals and what they look like. A lot of reading for a little kids book.
Samantha
A story with short poems about "beasts," like the walrus, lobster, and boa. Included some good vocabulary, like "invertebrates."
Emily
Nice collection of short animal poems and accompanying illustrations. Mix of rhyme and concrete poems. Lots of funny puns!
Stephanie
Owned: Great non-fiction poetry book with index. Favorites include the bat, pigeon, caterpillar, and mole.
Debra Millan
I really enjoyed this book and think it would be an excellent way to introduce students to poetry.
Suz
My students love Douglas Florian's poetry and illustrations.
Lisa Ford
Great book of animal poems! very creative!
Machim
Children's Books
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Melissa Donatelli
Melissa Donatelli marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Meghan
Meghan added it
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings Insectlopedia UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings Poetrees