Start by marking “Laughing in the Dark: A Comedian's Journey through Depression” as Want to Read:
Laughing in the Dark: A Comedian's Journey through Depression

Laughing in the Dark: A Comedian's Journey through Depression

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A Kind Friend to Walk with You...

For many, depression is associated with shame and humiliation -- even a lack of faith. But in this refreshingly honest and oh-so-very-real revelation of one woman's journey through depression, you'll hear the voice of a kind friend. And in her words you'll find hope and renewed confidence that will guide you through your own darkness and
Published February 20th 2007 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Laughing in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laughing in the Dark

Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
Chonda candidly shares about her struggle with depression, a struggle that may seem shocking to those who have only known her as a comedian onstage at Christian women's conferences. But her depression kept her at home and off the road for quite some time while she sought treatment. Chonda share some of her past history, which makes it easy to understand why she would struggle with depression, and how counseling, medical treatment, and her faith in God helped her out of the dark. [return]This was ...more
Wendy
Oct 20, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Christian circles aren't typically willing to be open about depression. This book is great for Christians struggling with depression--the book opens up as a friend who can relate. Included are some tips from the medical field on how to be helpful to a friend going through depression, what to expect of yourself if you are going through depression, and more.

Great read. Funny. Real. Vulnerable.
Eric
Dec 04, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it

For those of us with depression, reading other people's stories can both encourage and remind us that we have to take the time that we need to stay healthy. I'm always thankful for those in the public eye who are willing to share, and by doing so, shed light on a dark subject.
Sep 07, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I really liked this book (although I did have to skip through some of the parentheticals with all the joking commentary to just get to the heart of the message). It had some really good bible verses at the beginning of each chapter and was very down to earth.
Mom
Aug 07, 2008 Mom rated it it was amazing
Someone elses story can open our eyes to our story. The key is to recognize the story. Chonda's story is one of hope. It is an admission that depression can happen to anyone and with the right tools you can make the journey.
Pam Broderick
Aug 29, 2008 Pam Broderick rated it really liked it
Very good book. Chonda shares her struggles with depression, but in true Chonda form, adds humor. Lots of good info and resources for anyone who might think they have depression.
Lydia Poole
May 17, 2008 Lydia Poole rated it liked it
wow, I was excited to get this book signed by her and purchasd it. It is inspiring, but not what I thought it was going to be. I need to try one of her others.
Gina
Jul 08, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
Love Chondra Pierce! It was a really good read to see depression through another person's eyes. Chondra puts it out there in all honesty about what see was facing.
Janet
Oct 30, 2008 Janet rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Janet by: Valerie
This was the First Chonda Pierce I read and I really enjoyed it! I think she was very honest and open! Very helpful. About dealing with depression!!
Jenna VW
Sep 16, 2008 Jenna VW rated it it was amazing
This book helped me through some very dark times. With wit and wisdom, Chonda shares her story of depression and gives hope to the world.
Kristen Wampner
Apr 16, 2013 Kristen Wampner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
This book is great for anybody dealing with depression. Quite the inspirational story to never give up with some laughs along the way.
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Funny as always, but also informative and interesting re: the problems of depression.
Pam Watson
Nov 10, 2009 Pam Watson rated it liked it
good insight for depression issues
Tammy
Apr 27, 2010 Tammy rated it liked it
It was good. Told Chonda's story.
Kathleen
Sep 17, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Interesting, but mediocre.
Faye
Dec 03, 2007 Faye rated it really liked it
absolutely loved this book.
Carol
Feb 05, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carol by: Lani Owyoung
Shelves: humor, self-help
She's been there.
Zachary Schroeder
Zachary Schroeder marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Sarah Fulaytar
Sarah Fulaytar rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Gmccs
Gmccs marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Colleen Squier
Colleen Squier rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Siri Thornton
Siri Thornton marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Joyce Cotterman
Joyce Cotterman rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
  • Girl at the End of the World: My Escape from Fundamentalism in Search of Faith with a Future
  • Dumbfounded: Big Money. Big Hair. Big Problems. Or Why Having It All Isn't for Sissies.
  • After Cleo
  • Professionalizing Motherhood: Encouraging, Educating, and Equipping Mothers at Home
  • Glimpses of Grace: Daily Thoughts and Reflections
  • Illegitimate: How a Loving God Rescued a Son of Polygamy
  • Help! I'm Laughing and I Can't Get Up: Fall-Down Funny Stories to Fill Your Heart and Lift Your Spirit
  • The Body Broken: A Memoir
  • The Eyes of the Heart: A Memoir of the Lost and Found
  • The Life and Times of Jesus: The Messiah Behind Enemy Lines (Part II)
  • Boy with Loaded Gun: A Memoir
  • A Slant of Sun: One Child's Courage
  • Think No Evil: Inside the Story of the Amish Schoolhouse Shooting...and Beyond
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight