Start by marking “The Bane of Yoto” as Want to Read:
The Bane of Yoto

The Bane of Yoto

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Some say the Arbitrators existed long before the world was born. Others believe their dark powers spun the fabric of time itself. They are mystery.

But here is truth: After ages of formless existence, the Arbitrators craved physicality once more. In their search for a worthy body to inhabit, they destroyed the world Ajyin – home of the gentle, blue-fleshed Numah and the com
ebook, First Edition, 518 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by FiXT (first published June 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Bane of Yoto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bane of Yoto

C
I'm torn between 2 & 3 stars. I'll go for 3 because there is a niche I feel this fits into and lovers of that niche will enjoy the book.

It seems like it'd be a great read for people who love comic book style adventures/heroes... it reads like a comic in book form - Hulk meets Abe's Odd World (video game) (with a splash of Riddick, WoW and Avatar).

Especially reminiscent of Abe's when we get into the biological structures. *cue a giant burp from the bio-jail's sloshing innards*

I kept thinkin
Nicholas Karpuk
I suppose I could go into my annoying history with this book, but as I'm no longer listed on the cover of the new edition, so my hope is that every single sentence I contributed was rewritten, alleviating me of any association with this. With that hope in mind, I shall approach this like someone who has no intimate knowledge of the novels creation.

The Bane of Yoto is the tale of ugly blue monsters oppressed by ugly green monsters. One of the blue monsters gets stabbed with a blade that turns him
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
"The Bane of Yoto" was an amazing tragic and thrilling read! Not a fast read, but thought-provoking at the start and action-packed at the end. With excellent writing and thrilling plot, the author has created the scenes well.

The plot starts with the lives of Numah people, who are treated terribly by Olokun. Among these Numah people were the kids - Eon, Yoto and Celeste - and their parents. Their parents were killed in the arena, before their very eyes. Eon waits for revenge for years..few of the
Christopher Novas
The Bane of Yoto is a high concept, epic sci-fi/fantasy novel about the enslaved race of Numah versus the oppressing, overpowering, vile Olokun race. Under the illusion of a new peaceful life on the moon of their planet, Olokun imprison the Numah to slavery, putting them to work to create a shield to combat and hide the new found "planet" Neos from the destructive ethereal race known as the Arbitrators.

The threads of the story come together through the different perspectives of all the characte
Melinda
The Bane of Yoto is a book that was taken from a comic and turned into a full length book, and therein some similarities lie. First off, the good guys are really good, and the bad guys are so bad that they fairly drip with blood. You want to boo and hiss when they come on to the page, because they are the least sympathetic characters that I've ever read. In this book, it is Vega and his son Cadoc who play the roles of the evil ones you want to destroy. The good guys are Eon and his brother Yoto, ...more
Aaron
I discovered The Bane of Yoto via the 3D comic app on the iPhone. The app itself impressed me enough to check out the novel (which I was able to receive an advance copy of).

I wasn't sure what to expect. It's written by newcomers, so I had my doubts, but I was unexpectedly engrossed and a bit shocked at the outcome.

The book starts off a bit slow. It's not necessarily boring, but it focuses a lot on the characters/setting much more than a high-octane opener. That's not to say that it doesn't ever
Lauren
I received a copy of this book from a Good Reads giveaway. I was VERY impressed. I have to admit when entering the description of the book reminded me a lot of the movie Transformers which is why I decided to enter the giveaway in the first place. I didn't know at the time that the "Bane of Yoto" was actually a comic turned into a book and was happily surprised when I indulged in this story. Everything about this book is very well written and developed. I was engaged right from the start by this ...more
Michael
It's a great book. And better than that, it's truly new. And very gritty. Josh did a masterful job of throwing this world WAY outside the box yet keeping the characters and situations as believable as possible.

There are places that are going to make you cringe - Oh man, will they - so prepare yourself! And others that will really elevate you. A real quality experience. Which was a real relief for me. See, I'm one of the guys who was given the task of turning this book into an animated comic. As
Janden Hale
The Bane of Yoto isn't the type of book I normally read, but I'm glad I got it. What I like about it most is the rich environment, the history of the Olokun and the Numah. There is plenty of tension here, the Numah are basically up against overwhelming odds. They are slaves of the Olokun, led by General Vega. They are forced to mine minerals that are used in the construction of the Aegis Shield, which will protect them from the forces that destroyed their planet (they had to flee to a moon). I e ...more
Matt
I thought that The Bane of Yoto was a phenomenal read! Without spoilers it is a book that lets you see Joshua Viola's alien world through the horrified eyes of a slave, his people, and their disgustingly cruel master(s). Simply put, the protagonist's monstrous evolution should not be missed! Every so often there are those rare gems of books whose imagery of character savagery, magic and compassion make the reader yearn for a continuation at the conclusion of the novel, and this is one of those b ...more
Marilyn
Bane of Yoto takes place in another time and another place, when the mystical dagger pierces Yoto in error, he is overwhelmed at the changes he sees in himself and must come to terms as to how he will use these new powers. The development of characters is phenomenol, and you are drawn into the foreign environment and see the raw texture of of the beings that make up the inhabitants of this planet and their culture.
Jared
I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone that enjoys a good sci-fi. The characters are well imagined and painted fantastically through text. The story puts the reader into a deeply inspired universe while at the same time reflects on themes relevant to modern society. There are so many levels to this story that I'm sure anyone would enjoy to discover and experience.
Adam
This book had me interested throughout. This sprawling story grabs you from the start and rarely loses momentum. Once I got to later chapters I couldn't put it down. Both the universe and the characters are very well imagined. Anyone that enjoys a good sci-fi fantasy should not pass this up!
Kimberly Baltz
I'm not usually a reader of sci-fi books, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It has so many imaginative elements and a compelling cast of characters. And the book kept surprising me. There are some twists at the end that will make you re-evaluate where you thought the story was going - very cool.

I can't wait to download the app to see the artwork that goes with these characters and this imaginative world.
And I can't wait until the sequel comes out, to find out what is next!

You w
Marilyn
A story of another time and another place that kept me on the edge of my chair. The development of characters was outstanding and the main character, Yoto, continues his journey trying to adjust against all odds at what has happened to him by a strange accident.
Stephanie
Excellent sci-fi novel! Definitely a page turner that keeps the reader on the edge. The character development is very well done and I really enjoyed how detailed the writing was. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a revolutionary new product!
Kristen N.
Joshua Viola did an amazing job when writing The Bane of Yoto. The Bane of Yoto is told from the different characters own perspective. Joshua Viola has created characters to be both loved and despised. The characters in The Bane of Yoto created very well and given the description readers can conjure a picture of them easily in their minds. You will learn that not everything is as it seems through the telling of the story. The story may start out slow, but by the second chapter, The Bane of Yoto ...more
Erik
I was originally introduced to the book through The Bane of Yoto 3D Graphic Novel, and I'm quite thankful I randomly happened upon it. The book is a little rocky in the beginning but not anymore then any Author's first book. You can really see the Author grow in their writing as you read, which becomes just as intriguing as the book itself. It's nice to see something of this originality and freshness these days. I gladly recommend this for any fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy or even Comics, as you can eas ...more
Kassandra Carrillo
This book was nothing like I ever thought it to be. It introduce a new world to me and the characters were just amazing. I could never tell what was going to happen next. The society within the book was inspiring. Inspiring because people who have been taken over and rebel just set a fire in me. There isn't much I can say really without giving spoilers and that is something I wanted to avoid doing. It was a great book and I definitely recommend everyone to read it.
Keith
It took me a while to get into the story, but after my second attempt I was drawn in and continued to the end. I really enjoyed the story once I got about 100 pages in. For some reason I felt lost in the beginning. The only real thing that I did not like about the story was the bloody violence, but at times it did further the telling. Overall a good read. I am sorry that I waited so long to actually finish it.
Josh
I received my copy of this book as part of the First reads giveaway program.

This is a fast paced novel that reads like an anime movie, in fact I would recommend it to fans of the genre. I have to say I really didn't care for the character Yoto, but because I liked some of the secondary characters I was able to enjoy the story.
Frankie
I thought this book was great. I could not put the book down! The author did an excellent job of telling the story of the Numah in such a way that you felt their pain. I would suggest this book to any fan of fantasy/scifi. I look forward to reading the other Bane of Yoto book.
Dean
There's a reason why this book keeps winning award after award. (I believe 12 or 13 up to this point.) It's epic science-fiction fantasy at its best. Keep your eye on this young author. He's going places.
Collin Landis
Bane of Yoto took its adventure much farther than I expected it to go from its humble beginnings. A unique scifi fantasy, Yoto is well worth your hard earned dollars.
Alex (joe)
Amazing book, what can I say. I simply love general Vega, he's really fucked up, and I dig that. Read the book guys,it's brutal and I love it.
Chad
A Fantastic underrated book by Joshua Viola! Tale of racism, revenge, family and love from another world!
Jakob Barnes
Jakob Barnes marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
In 1993, Joshua Viola's artwork was showcased by the Denver Art Museum. That same year, a short story he wrote was unanimously hated by his classmates.

He was in the fourth grade.

And that's where it started.

Ten years later, Viola learned traditional art production during an apprenticeship with acclaimed fantasy artist Monte Michael Moore. Later that year, the Grammy Award-winning band Linkin Park f
More about Joshua Viola...
Blackstar Act One: Purified Blackstar Act Two: Awakening The Bane of Yoto (2nd Edition) The Bane of Yoto - Bloodmoon: Birth of the Beast