Start by marking “Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind. Geert Hofstede” as Want to Read:
Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind. Geert Hofstede

Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind. Geert Hofstede

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Exploring the complex relationships that determine how we perform as members of a group, the authors build upon their previous work and examine concepts such as culture shock, ethnocentrism and stereotyping, as well as the consequent effects it has on the individual and on society as a whole.
Published November 1st 2007 by Profile Books(GB) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Cultures and Organizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cultures and Organizations

Cristina
The book gives you an insight of the cultural differences of nations and explains why behaviors/values/heroes/symbols have a certain meaning and how they start to evolve from inside the family. It is interesting to have a closer look into the "power distance" or the "avoidance uncertainty" concepts and understand how they reflect on people's mindsets and how they translate into organization's culture.

Still, I do believe the book is too long and that the author could have make it a more compact r
Nextbestthing
Both practical and theoretical, this is the only book that I know of that really describes and explains cultural differences on various levels (family, school, work...) AND on a more or less universal scale. While most other books on the matter either remain hopelessly vague, or loose themselves in academic abstractions, Hofstede really gets down to it. In parts the book might be a bit dated, but imho Hofstede's cultural dimensions are still essential in understanding cultural diversity.

In our g
Adrena Johnson mcdonald
Trudged Through It

I am currently working on my doctorate in global leadership, and I was hoping that this text would be a great resource for my program. Though the book contains some very good information and some intriguing insights, much of it is a very long recount of the authors' research, along with reasons why their research is so good and others' so lacking. The last few chapters were interesting but filled with so much opinion and culturally-laden "should" and "should not" statements tha
Madalina
Mar 27, 2013 Madalina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, you lazy buggers
Recommended to Madalina by: Meanings and Messages textbook
This is a book about culture, not stereotypes as much as statistically verified constants. As usual, I'm going to make my case on why you should read it rather than the Wikipedia summary (oh, yes, there are a few cliffnotes on the author's cultural dimensions Wiki page)

This book represents several decades of research, all around the globe, so nothing is passed off as "but those are the (insert nationality here), they're crazy". In his worldwide interviews and surveys, Hofstede discovered certain
Angelo John Lewis
I've read a lot of books about cultural differences or diversity, but Hofstede's masterwork is just on a different order than the rest. It is a research-based examination of national and organizational cultural differences across a number of domains, such as power distance differences, attitudes towards individualism and collectivism, gender cultures and several others. He then goes on to discuss implications of this research to intercultural and interorganizational encounters.

This is a must rea
Willis
This took a long time for me to get through because it is packed with information. It is a fascinating study into "culture" and what that word really means. There is a large discussion of different elements that distinguish different cultures based on survey data. They show how countries differ from each other in terms of these elements, which I thought was quite interesting, to think about how someone from Japan or China might have a different idea of how to approach a particular situation comp ...more
Irwan
In my thesis I worked with issues of multicultural collaboration in developing software. This book gave me clues on how to approach the corelation between cultural issues and the technical/organizational ones. Although highly critisized or not so popular by most researchers whom I met or with whom I shared a research group, I found this book and theory can be practical and easier to use.
Emily Crews
In the empirical tradition, this book describes dimensions elucidated through an empirical study - in this case the statistical analysis of items (from questionnaires or workshops, sorry I can't remember). The point being that the authors have used correlations of the degree of agreement between people of different nations to a set of statements, to "shake out" the dimensions they describe.

That is, they didn't start with theory, propose dimensions that they believe to exist, and then test those
Allen Hamlin
This book is a thorough and useful exploration of the ramifications of culture on national and organizational differences.

In comparison to Hostede's book "Culture's Consequences", this work is intended to be more accessible and less of a professional research text. While I'm sure the author attained this aim, I still find "Cultures and Organizations" to be a very dense read: many of the best conclusions are to be found buried between tables and outlines of research surveys. Even as a mathematic
This was a pretty interesting comparative perspective on culture (organizational and otherwise). It's easy to forget sometimes how the culture we're born into can influence our perspective, often in ways we're completely unaware of. And if one finds oneself engaged in pastimes such as...oh, I don't know...nation-building, it bears remembering that even something as Perfect and Flawless as American democracy can be difficult, if not downright impossible, to export to a nation or region that has a ...more
Doug
Title may sound dry, but if you, like me, find cultural differences fascinating/annoying you really must read this book, or something similar. If you have an interest in international business or politics, you really should take advantage of this field of study. I found Geert Hofstede while trying to research the cultural challenges of the NATO (American) effort in Afghanistan. This is a non-judgmental recognition of how different cultures provide for the psychological needs of human nature. It ...more
Aksay Lackoo
Concise and detailed insights of how societies breathe in & out through its cultural lungs , to each and every scrutinised aspects of its daily functioning- stereotyping, barriers to languages,semantics etc. But , albeit being a great socio-litterary, it is quite long to discuss on visible cultural differences. But amazing Hofstede, he got it right to be the most cited European sociologist in today's sociology.
Lorette
Interesting research from the 1960is at IBM, Hofstede using factor analysis, found 4 dimensions where national values are plotted (used data from over 50 countries; that latter study, with Minkov, had data from over 90 countries). 2 more dimensions were subsequently added in the third edition of this book. The authors contend that social class has culture; corporate culture is a different animal altogether, and has different dimensions, according to the authors. Despite the "global" world we liv ...more
Mad Hab
This is a very good book.

There are a lot definitions of what culture and what values are. Most of them are in the form of romantic poetry, personal experience and feelings. What Hofstedes actually did, they quantified value systems, gave them names, dimensions and showed how values for different cultures differ ( or cultures for different cultures differ, which way you like :)). However the most important stuff to take from the book is the fact that even Western countries differ a lot. This is e
Nextbestthing
Beetje een flauwe titel voor deze nieuwe (herwerkte) uitgave van Hofstedes Cultures and Organisations Software of the mind. De dimensies blijven echter essentieel voor wie enig inzicht wil krijgen in cultuurverschillen. De concrete aanpak van Hofstede blijft verfrissend in dit studiegebied waarin nogal wat boeken verschijnen met abstract academisch getheoretiseer...naast ook een hele stapel boeken die helaas niet verder komen dan enkele goedbedoelde clichés.

Dit boek zou in heel wat opleidingen (
Catherine

The book offers and synthesis of Geert Hofstede's scientific model of intercultural differences. It presents the details of the 5 factors differentiating cultural values (and much more).

It is a 'short' version (560 pages) of his work, easy to read and meant for non-academics. The long and detailed version of his academic work is found in his other book "Culture consequences".

It is important to buy the last edition. Compared to the previous edition, the last edition to this date (2010) brings s
Marcus Solberg
Great book! Gives a really good framework for understanding different cultures, as well as specifics for different countries.

Not sure which year I read this one.
Paul
This book is interesting, but the author tends to essentialize and naturalize cultural and national identity, ignoring the fact that there are usually more differences within groups than there are between them. Statistically speaking, it is easy to find even tiny ggregate differences between groups if the sample size is large enough; unfortunately these (usually small) statistically significant differences are translated into the media and popular culture as binary oppositions (i.e., Asians are ...more
Bibi
Ik registreerde een boek op BookCrossing.com!
Bill Lalonde
A very interesting book giving a lucid exposition of Hofstede's attempts at cultural quantification. Also notably it argues for observing different moralities arising from different cultural experiences, yet also contains arguments in favor of the authors' moral particularities. To be fair, this is lampshaded implicitly when calling for world citizens to learn about others' values while remaining rooted in their own.
Ad_blankestijn
The masterwork for the general public by Prof. Geert Hofstede, who with his four dimensions of culture singlehandedly laid the basis for the academic study of intercultural differences, which in its turn became the inspiration for the flourishing consultancy world of today. Everybody in this field stands on the shoulders of Hofstede. The book is a pleasure to read and highly recommended.
Jeff
I had so many questions about what it is to be human, what is environmental and what is genetic. This author takes a look at extensive data from studies from IBM which traverse the globe, and he charts patterns of human behavior. He show which countries value independence or being in groups, which are more or less hierarchical, more or less masculine or feminine, etc., etc. I love this book.
Yorgos Christoforou
One of my favourite books. A fascinating effort to quantify cultural aspects and allow the user to relativize and understand what went wrong whenever he/she hits against unexpected problems due to cultural differences.
Natalia
Excellent reference book for anyone who works with people from other cultures or travels a lot. Hofstede and team give the reader lots to think about!
Very clearly-presented, using relevant examples, based on an extensive body of research.
I'm enjoying the European perspective on some world issues that I've mainly been exposed to from the American point of view.
Widyoseno
"culture.. a software of one's mind which differentiate one human group from others. Culture in this sense includes values"

Must-read for those who majoring in marketing and management. Those who also interested in managing cultural differences as well as planning to establish a multi-national company or negotiate with other foreign people.

Ven
One if my favorite book that explain so much to me.. It is like fundamentals that everyone should learn. For business, for tourists, for people who want to understand more about country's culture. Still, i miss more data, especially about young peoples, subcultures.. Mr. Hofstede could extend his research.
Raven
I decided to read this book after its references in Malcolm Gladwell's Outliners, and am finding the level of detail interesting. I most enjoyed reading what various cultures value.
Thomas
The book explains quite well the role of cultural values in societies and organizations. A must-read for anyone involved in management or leadership in international context.
The research was interesting, although maybe a little dated--I'm sure that it's influenced a lot of current thinking about multicultural society. Scholarly, but not too dry.
Chai Eng
An excellent book for those interested in learning about Cultures. The first part is theoretical so take the time to read and absorb the theory. A must read!
  • Riding the Waves of Culture: Understanding Diversity in Global Business
  • Beyond Culture
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • When Cultures Collide: Leading Across Cultures
  • The Corrosion of Character: The Personal Consequences of Work in the New Capitalism
  • Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework
  • The HR Scorecard: Linking People, Strategy, and Performance
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • Why Life Speeds Up as You Get Older: How Memory Shapes Our Past
  • Sense and Nonsense: Evolutionary Perspectives on Human Behaviour
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • Images of Organization
  • The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently... and Why
  • Principles and Practice of Marketing
  • The Shift: The Future of Work Is Already Here
  • Open Space Technology: A User's Guide
  • Local People: The Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi
  • Us and Them: Understanding Your Tribal Mind
Gerard Hendrik Hofstede is an influential Dutch writer on the interactions between national cultures and organizational cultures, and is an author of several books including Culture's Consequences and Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind, co-authored by his son Gert Jan Hofstede. Hofstede's study demonstrated that there are national and regional cultural groupings that affect the behav ...more
More about Geert Hofstede...
Culture's Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions and Organizations Across Nations Exploring Culture : Exercises, Stories and Synthetic Cultures Culture's Consequences : International Differences in Work-Related Values (Cross Cultural Research and Methodology) Uncommon Sense About Organizations: Cases, Studies, And Field Observations Masculinity and Femininity: The Taboo Dimension of National Cultures

“In most collectivist cultures, direct confrontation of another person is considered rude and undesirable. The word no is seldom used, because saying “no” is a confrontation; “you may be right” and “we will think about it” are examples of polite ways of turning down a request. In the same vein, the word yes should not necessarily be inferred as an approval, since it is used to maintain the line of communication: “yes, I heard you” is the meaning it has in Japan.” 9 likes
“...which animal the ruler should impersonate depends strongly on what animals the followers are.” 3 likes