Start by marking “The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)

The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  2,816 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
Isak is a white-eye, feared and despised in equal measure. Trapped in a life of poverty, hated and abused by his father, Isak dreams of escape, but when his chance comes, it isn't to a place in the army as he'd expected. Instead, the Gods have marked him out as heir-elect to the brooding Lord Bahl, the Lord of the Fahlan.
Lord Bahl is also a white-eye, a genetic rarity tha
Published March 16th 2006 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about The Stormcaller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stormcaller

Phoenixfalls
This first novel does show some promise, but overall there were too many missteps, large and small, for me to really enjoy it. The missteps fall into a couple categories: first, problems with authorial control over the narrative, and second, aspects of the book that I object to but other readers may not.

In the first category, I had four problems with the narrative. First, Lloyd was not consistent with point of view. The book was written with an omniscient narrator that jumped from character to c
Jason
Mar 24, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

After my reread, I have kept my rating the same. There is a lot to like about this story. Isak is a complex and sometimes scary protagonist. The book is somewhat long but it is paced well and it never felt dragged out. I wanted a second read through as I want to move on with the series. I needed the second reread to remember and familiarize myself with the people, the places, and the plot.

The Stormcaller was worth my time again...

Original review..........................................
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Nov 24, 2013 Mogsy (MMOGC) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

I have to say I did things a little bit backwards when it came to this series. It all started with The God Tattoo, Tom Lloyd's anthology of stories from the Twilight Reign that I read last year. Needless to say, I enjoyed it very much. Furthermore, it made me want to explore everything else this world had to offer, so when Pyr gave me the opportunity to read and review The Stormcaller, the first book of the series that beg
Kati
Mar 09, 2009 Kati rated it really liked it
I had to re-read this one for work-related purposes and I have to say that the second time around, I liked it much better. I mean, there are still too many characters/places and it's hard to keep track of who is who and related to whom and why but the story itself is rather intriguing and I really liked Isak, Vesna and Mingh and even Lord Bahl himself. It's a good book and I hope that the rest of the "The Twilight Reign" series will be just as good and that the author will actually use all the c ...more
Chris Dawson
Jul 10, 2009 Chris Dawson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
Excellent debut novel by an upcoming fantasy writer in Tom Lloyd, his writing style during battle scenes was immense. Incorporating everything you could imagine into the battle.

This book has everything you expect from a fantasy book. Witches, daemons, magic, gods, politics, the list goes on. Its all in there, the only problem I found with the book was the sheer amount of characters that were introduced, perhaps too many, making it hard to keep with who was from where and doing what. But if you c
Jay Zes
Oct 19, 2014 Jay Zes rated it it was amazing
This book was written in 2006.
It has slipped past the media despite how amazing it truly is.
High fantasy is a very challenging genre but this one sails through. 1 lac 75th words, and I was still hooked.
There are flaws, certainly. But not enough for me to disregard the ambition and expanse of the story.
If you love fantasy, I would highly recommend this one.
One of my new favourites.
M.d. Lachlan
Nov 18, 2013 M.d. Lachlan rated it it was amazing
A rattling good fantasy tale. If you're looking for fantasy, this is it. Magic, gods, prophecy, intertwining plots, big battles. Top stuff.
Melanie
Aug 30, 2010 Melanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
After starting this book nearly two months ago, I finally forced myself to sit down and read it properly to finish it off, and I think the main problem I have with this book can be summed up quite easily: it's too big.

Now, I don't mean that it's too long. Or rather, I don't just mean it was too long. There was too many threads, too much going on, and you're thrown into a great big world without enough knowledge. There are things and people and places and stuff and terms which were introduced wit
Feb 13, 2010 Laura rated it it was ok
General Dicer
Aug 20, 2012 General Dicer rated it really liked it
This book isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it sets a fine starting point for one of the better fantasy series out there, and it is a solid novel in and of itself.
It has a great front villain in Kastan Styrax, a well-defined and 3D hero in Isak, and an angry king/mentor that manages to pull the role off without being a stereotype in Lord Bahl. The book is packed with action, magic and intrigue, and the battle scenes are smoothly written, dynamic and easy to follow.
My number on
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
Sep 20, 2009 Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was completely surprised by this book. Recommended by the guys over at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/, it sat on my bed stand for over a month before I finally got into it, and then I couldn't put it down.

Lloyd writes unlike so many other sci-fi or fantasy writers. Instead of massive info dumps filling us in on the background of the world they've created, Lloyd just hitches us to the characters like a reality cam and takes the reader along for the ride. We start to see the world, its
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: spec-fic
c2006. Fantastic, tremendous, thrilling. Count myself lucky to have found this book. Everything you could want from a speculative fiction novel, There are heroes and villians although it is difficult to tell who is who! Characters are well drawn and the world building is thorough. Loved it, loved it and there is a DRAGON! All manners of fantasy elements, gods, ghosts, elves, trolls, centaurs, witches etc are all seamlessly included in the story. This man is just a great great storyteller. I have ...more
Stretch's Books
Another audio book down, and another enjoyable experience. Maybe some wonder why all the books I read or listen to get 3 stars at least. Well, that is because I don't attempt to negatively impact anyone's work. Authors work hard on their work, and if I don't care for it, I keep it to myself. Now on to the review......

"The Stormcaller" is the first in a five book series from author Tom Lloyd called "The Twilight Reign", and does a good job at being just that. "The Stormcaller" does an excellent j
Mike
Feb 27, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Full review at my blog.

Tom Lloyd’s Stormcaller, the first book in the Twilight Reign series first saw publication in the U.K. in March….of 2006. If my previous rants haven’t hammered home the disparity between the U.K. and American fantasy market maybe that will. I don’t know. Regardless The Stormcaller is a fascinating entry into the fantasy genre that sparkles with originality while at the same time paying homage to the works that have come before. The story centers around Isak, a white-eye, a
Harry
Mar 20, 2014 Harry rated it really liked it
The Stormcaller is a solid, old fashioned epic fantasy, in the vein of Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. It's jam-packed with lore-based juiciness and while this isn't always delivered flawlessly it is always satisfying. An entertaining read throughout.
Terri
Oct 22, 2010 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
The Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd. Hmm, what can I say about The Stormcaller without overtly offending the author and his fans.
You know, I too could have been a fan of this book. A big fan. My three star rating doesn't reflect that I realise, but it was not the story itself that brought that on, it was the writing.
I enjoyed, for the most part, the story of Isak. I enjoyed the world building, the characters, the creative fantasy that Lloyd has shared with us. And for that reason, I will recommend ot
Victoria Osborne
Apr 26, 2014 Victoria Osborne rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
It took me longer than usual to read this book, but I felt that the author deserved a review. Sometimes they just need more.

The bad.
single quotation marks to mark off dialogue. It makes it really difficult to read. He uses a lot of British spelling so I think he must be from England or Australia. But, as far as I know, it is still grammatically correct to use double quote ".

He has many passages of dense prose that you must struggle through. I found those lumps, with paragraphs two pages long, j
Rea
Nov 09, 2010 Rea rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
There's been a lot of praise for this first book in a series and I can readily see where it's coming from. My only problem with the book is that the author really needs to learn to cut down on characters. I've always believed in the idea that if a character doesn't serve a specific important purpose then don't use it. I imagine that some of The Stormcaller's characters will play bigger roles in later books, but having all their names at once is just tiring and makes them all hard to keep track o ...more
Stacey O'Neale
This review was written by Michael Cummings, senior reviewer with the Fantasy Book Addict.

What could have been a four star book compromises its way up to three stars. First, the good. Tom Lloyd presents us with a world filled with gods and men, and all the fantastical tropes that walk in between. Lloyd tugs at all of the familiar strings – prophetically proclaimed saviors, curses, even vampires, and of course, the question of whether our protagonist will turn out to be the hero or the doom foret
Vince
Oct 13, 2012 Vince rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
This series has been on my to-read lists for years, but for one reason or another....
Had a difficult time with the first half until I realized this is the first of five and that this is the "ground work" for the following books. Lots of people, but by the end, you're have the story lines down. In review of the rest, it seems the praise for each keeps rising! I like Lloyd's writing and his ability to let you into the character's head as well as what they're actually doing. Guess I'll give The Twi
Jerry
Apr 15, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it
The Stormcaller, in my opinion, was standard fantasy novel fare aside from one key difference: very vivid descriptions. The sights, sounds, sensations, and other sensory items of the fantastical land were very well-described. The only problems I had were the space-wasting format and the overuse of profanity. If you're a fantasy fan looking for something other than Harry Potter or Tolkien, you might want to check The Stormcaller out.
Jon Ringstad
Oct 11, 2012 Jon Ringstad rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Stormcaller is on the surface a classic tale of underdog/outsider boy finds a greater destiny, but it quickly sucks you in and shows you that it's got do much more. As the story progresses the world and the characters deepen and the scope widens. This book and series will replace many classics as one of the gates every young readers must pass to become a true reader of fantasy.
Eric
Oct 22, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pretty much any fantasy fan
Recommended to Eric by: Brian
Shelves: fantasy, borrowed
This was a very good fantasy epic. It is the first part of a series which will comprise and undisclosed number of books. Despite this fact, it had its own beginning and ending.

The social, political, and magical structure of the world is very interesting and unusual. The characters are likable, flawed, and thoroughly realized.
Nuranar
Apr 15, 2012 Nuranar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-2012
Clearly the first of a series, and yet it still engaged me enough that I come away wanting to find the rest of the books. The worldbuilding was done very well, as was the character development. It's refreshing to be able to like characters.
Aimee
Apr 29, 2012 Aimee rated it really liked it
From the first paragraph, I was completely swept away by the vivid pictures that were being painted through the beautifully written prose. This story was captivating from the first and compelling to the last, I'm going to start the next one immediately.
William
Jan 21, 2014 William rated it really liked it
Nice intro into a somewhat lengthy series. parts of the story seemed rushed and some far to drawn out giving the book a little "jerky" feel to the story.It's still a 3.5 star book for me (still no 1/2 star rating system.Why not goodreads?)
Steven Ede
Oct 27, 2013 Steven Ede rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good book. Very intricate and detailed with lots of complex characters. It was almost in the same vein as GRRMs Game of Thrones novel. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the books when i can get my hands on them.
Josh
Mar 03, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it
Very solid, well thought out, world. Things move quickly but it's never too jarring to follow along. A little inconsistent in a few small spots but most people probably would not notice. Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot.
Steve
Jan 04, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Solid, entertaining read. Pretty conventional introduction to the main character, and the scope of this first book it quite narrow, but there are enough hints towards more interesting stuff to come, and the interplay between mortals & gods is unique enough to set it apart.
Oct 13, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
If the authors intention is to keep the readers as confused as the protagonist, then well done. By fragmenting each concept so much, its hard to keep track of everything happening. However the general premise of the story has interested me enough to try the next one.
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • The Path of Anger (The Book and The Sword, #1)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1)
  • The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1)
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • The Crimson Shield (Gallow, #1)
  • Farlander (Heart of the World, #1)
  • The King's Bastard (King Rolen's Kin, #1)
  • Winterbirth (The Godless World, #1)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • Shadow's Son (Shadow Saga, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand (The Macht #1)
  • Royal Exile (Valisar, #1)
  • Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
Tom Lloyd was born in 1979 and showed almost no interest in writing until the age of eighteen. I blame the teachers myself.

Nevertheless he did eventually find himself with a long summer to spare before university, and decided to start a novel when it was suggested he get a job to pass the time. This tells you much of what there is to know about him. The rest can be derived from the fact that he fi
More about Tom Lloyd...

Twilight Reign (5 books)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)
  • The Dusk Watchman (Twilight Reign, #5)