Start by marking “Into the Dream” as Want to Read:
Into the Dream

Into the Dream

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Paul has a recurring nightmare, about a small boy in awful danger. When he learns that his classmate Francine has it, too, the two of them join forces to solve the mystery and save the boy--before their bad dream becomes a terrifying reality.
Published by Scholastic (first published June 5th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Dream

Melody Siracusa
I first read this book when I was eight years old, and absolutely loved it. It had everything: telepathy, telekinesis, UFOs, kids on the run from evil government agents, and a psychic dog! I reread it a few years ago, and it still holds up.
Kari
This has always been a long time favorite of mine from when I was younger. I even still have my original copy. It is is dog-eared and worn from frequent reading. I'm not sure what it is about this one that has always stuck with me. After reading it as an adult, I still love it!

The author throws you right into the story and it doesn't slow down until the end. Every night, Paul has started to have the same weird dream that haunts him during the day. He then finds out his classmate, Francine, is ha
Erin
I loved this book when I first read it years ago. I would re read it every so often but I could never remember the title for some reason so I would search the young adult section at my local library and look at all the books with the sci fi genre sticker until I found it. I was hooked from the first chapter and probably read it in one or two sittings. I was drawn in by the protagonists quest and couldn't wait for them to discover the origins of their strange dreams. The resolution didn't disappo ...more
Myles
Much like the dreams referenced in the title, the details of this book diminished in my memory until, seeing this review was up next, I had to wrack my brains to come up with anything at all.

In staid juvenile fiction tradition we have a union of opposites for our protagonists. Paul is an awkward nerdy kind of kid (I think) and Francine is a girl prone to giggling. Presumably popular. Paul has been having a troubling recurring dream where he and another must save a young boy. He soon realizes tha
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: This is from the random bookshelf that I am currently reading from for my own books and random bookshelf challenge I created for myself. William Sleator is my favourite YA horror writer.

I thought I'd read this one before but could not recall the story at all while reading it and now don't believe I have. This book is atypical of the usual Sleator book. It is written for a younger audience, not his usual teen audience. The two protagonists are twelve and the writing is simple,
Lori Bland
It's a good book for students in 4th to 6th grade. It's a high interest scifi story that doesn't lack in imagination or action. It does seem a bit choppy in parts but overall is a good read for kids. I teach 6th grade and do a small group novel study with this book and the kids always love the story.
Kathleen
Dec 18, 2009 Kathleen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, children especially
This book has haunted the back of my mind for years. The idea of shared dreams, the haunting black and white image of the Ferris Wheel in the distance, and the word Stardust have popped into my head randomly over the years. I could never remember more, like the image of a dream chased away by morning. Very unlike the circumstances in this book, as it happens.

I suppose that this is just a child's book about a couple of kids given telepathy by a UFO that appeared behind a motel while they were sle
Roxanne B.
One of my favorite books of all time!
Melissa
One of my favorite books as a kid. (This is a re-print. I think it had a different title when I bought it from Scholastic in school.) It was creepy and fascinating and I LOVED the ambiance the author set. It really fired my imagination. This author has a disturbing knack for throwing your center of gravity off just a bit. I’ve always wanted to spend a night in The Stardust motel. Perhaps “they” will contact me. ;)
Dexter
Disappointing. As usual, William Sleator's beginning isn't too strong, but the middle is better. The climax really is very good, but the solution the two protagonists come up with is just...ridiculous. It makes me upset how ridiculous it really is. It doesn't solve anything and almost makes it worse.

This is really the first Sleator book I haven't enjoyed. I'm hoping it's his only dud.
Nomy
i've been asking people if anyone remembers this book for months and just found out about a group on goodreads called "What's the Name of that Book?" http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...
and it was solved within hours! how exciting. i'm going to check it out from the library and read it again soon. i remember it being really good.
Kbord
I received this book as a gift. It has some interesting ideas in it. Certainly there's mystery, but the build-up to danger and the resolution didn't quite match in magnitude. For me, it was nice to read it through but it's not something I would return to again and again. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I were younger.
Chris
Read this book when I was a kid and it absolutely hooked me. How much did it hook me? Well, I'm now 41 years old and still think of it once in a while. Being a big dog lover may help, but the book is just a roller coaster story with great emotion and lots of "cool" aspects for a kid to fawn over, like telepathy.
Tina Gauthier
This is the book that started my desire to really read "big" books on my own. I remember being excited for bedtime so I could get back to reading this book using only the light that slivered through the door into my room. One day I hope to give this book to my children at the appropriate age.
Diana Welsch
William Sleator is a master of his craft, and his craft is surprisingly insightful sci-fi for children younger teens.

This book was very suspenseful and exciting, though I will say the ending didn't have as great of follow-through as some of Sleator's other books.
Amanda Petrucelli
This is a really good, older book with telepathy and aliens and kids adventurers. Not sure why it's not more popular. I suppose the writing is a bit dry and the chapters a bit long, but for, say, 3rd-8th grade, it's a neat sci-fi intro.
Patience Smith
I read this book as a child and I loved it! I had recently been thinking about it for my kids but I couldn't remember the name. Stumbled on it and bought it today!!! So excited to let my kids enjoy it!!! YEAH!!!
Jenny
Its been a long time since i read it. But it made a very profound image in my mind...so much so in fact that 15 years later I still find myself thinking of it. What a great and exciting story!
Laura Josephsen
I read this in fourth grade and it was one of those books that stuck with me through the years. It's one I still enjoy and which brings up the suspense and wonder that I felt as a child.
Heidi
I got this at some school book fair. I guess it is Children's Sci-Fi. I remember even then it was weird. But it was short and interesting and as a child gave mild nightmares.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
This was pretty much my favorite book in the 4th Grade. I thought the ending could have been better in that it left me hanging. I think there should have been a sequel.
Doris
I read this as a child, but it made quite the impression on me. I remember it creeped/freaked me out in some ways, but that I read it over and over. It is eerie but compelling.
Mike
Excellent read!!! great for any pre-teen... I literally read the cover off of this book. Being that I remember the book AND cover more than 25 years later, AMAZING!!!
Sam
I have been trying to find this book for years despite only remembering fragments of the story. Clearly it made quite an impression when I was a child!
Audrey
Aug 15, 2007 Audrey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: school aged kids
Shelves: bookstotalkabout
I loved this book when I was a kid and came across it again recently. I'm reading it to my two children and they seem to love the mystery and suspense.
Robin Cummins
This was the book that taught me that reading can be enjoyable!!! It was the first I read more then once!!!! This was my first "favorite" book!!!
Stephanie
It was better when I was a kid, but it go me back into reading today. Sometimes revisiting a book that you loved can do that. So thank you for that.
Jill
Another book I loved as a child. I loved the mystery aspect of it, and the suspense and drama. A 4th grade favorite. I'd recommend it to any kid.
Janice
this gets an extra star for how much i loved it as a child. i reread it in 2007 and it wasn't THAT great, but still somewhat fascinating.
Leah Coffin
Interesting premise, but the execution left something to be desired, especially compared with some of Sleator's other work.
  • Laura's Luck
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • Lizard Music
  • The Night Swimmers
  • Jinx on a Terran Inheritance (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #2)
  • The Forgotten Door
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • The Girl with the Silver Eyes
  • The Witch Herself (Witch Saga, #3)
  • Windcatcher
  • Lord of the Nutcracker Men
  • Ghost Cat
  • The Witch's Daughter
  • Under Plum Lake
  • Pee-Wee's Tale
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful
  • The Storyteller's Beads
William Warner Sleator III was born in Havre de Grace, Maryland on February 13, 1945, and moved to St. Louis, MO when he was three. He graduated from University City High School in 1963, from Harvard in 1967 with BAs in music and English.

For more than thirty years, William Sleator thrilled readers with his inventive books. His House of Stairs was named one of the best novels of the twentieth cent
More about William Sleator...
House of Stairs Interstellar Pig (Interstellar Pig #1) The Boy Who Couldn't Die Singularity The Boy Who Reversed Himself