Start by marking “Dean Duffy” as Want to Read:
Dean Duffy

Dean Duffy

Dean Duffy, a Seattle high schooler who has always been brilliant at baseball, desperately struggles to put his life and his potential career back on track after his pitching goes bad and his batting slumps.
Published March 24th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dean Duffy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dean Duffy

Iris Robinson
Jul 28, 2011 Iris Robinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
Plot: Powell (Is Kissing a Girl Who Smokes Like Licking an Ashtray?) wraps up this nifty coming-of-age tale in a baseball story-yet not a single game is played. Although he's only just graduated from high school, Dean Duffy thinks of himself as a has-been. An agonizing and inexplicable slump has cut short his promising career as a ballplayer; once considered a shoo-in for any number of athletic scholarships, he is at loose ends until a longtime mentor arranges a baseball scholarship to an exclus ...more
Int'l librarian
There’s a good story here, but a lot of “meaning of life” too, and that doesn’t work so well. The meanings aren’t unique or powerful enough to stand on their own, and they take up enough space to derail the plot.

I want to know what becomes of Karin, Pitts and Van, and whether Dean really aims to rediscover his perfect swing. Then again, given how this game played out, I probably won’t invest the time in any possible sequel, just for closure’s sake.
Kennyunitas19
This book was about a boy who even after so much pain and drama ended up playing the game he loved so much, baseball. this book reflects on the stories of formal ball players and dean duffy into one.
Elijah
Apr 27, 2012 Elijah rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this book. It has a slow plot, and is hard to keep reading. There is little to no moments of intensity. i rate this 3 stars.
Vikram
Vikram rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2012
Ayah Assem
Ayah Assem rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Bertina
Bertina rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Spencer
Spencer rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2007
Janalynn
Janalynn rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2008
Gail Park
Gail Park rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2009
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Ann Weakland
Ann Weakland rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Jack O'Rourke
Jack O'Rourke rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Beth Sahd
Beth Sahd rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it did not like it
Apr 14, 2016
DJ
DJ rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2008
Johnny Butler
Johnny Butler rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2007
B
B rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2008
Deep_fried-dumpling_dude
Deep_fried-dumpling_dude rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2010
Lorna
Lorna rated it liked it
May 21, 2010
Dave Kiersh
Dave Kiersh rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Kari J.
Kari J. rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2007
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Ana
Ana is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2013
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Emanuel
Emanuel is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2015
Grace
Grace added it
Jan 08, 2016
Jordan
Jordan added it
Jan 22, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Mrs.
Mrs. marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
I've lived in Seattle all my life -- since 1956. I live here now with my wife, Judy, and our two sons, Eli and Drew. I like the outdoors, books, fresh crab and raw oysters, and rain.

As a kid, I was crazy about sports. All sports. When I wasn't playing the real thing, I was playing some imaginary form of it. I wasn't a great athlete, just obsessed. I peaked when I was eleven. Our little league foot
More about Randy Powell...