Braveheart

Braveheart

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  5,339 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Amid the color, pageantry, and violence of thirteenth-century Scotland unfurls the resplendent tale of the legendary William Wallace, farmer by birth, rebel by fate, who banded together his valiant army of Scots to crush the cruel tyranny of the English Plantagenet king.
Paperback
Published December 1st 1999 by Langensch.-Hachette, M (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Braveheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Braveheart

Kira
I will never, ever, ever forgive this book/movie for tearing the truth from one of the most important historical figures in the history of my homeland.

Ever.

Ever.
Charles
I very much liked the movie Braveheart. The same man who wrote the movie also wrote this book and they are almost identical, with a few relatively minor exceptions. Just as I liked the movie, I liked the book a lot. I've heard that the history is not terribly accurate here and there are clearly some speculative things. But as a heroic tale it certainly worked. At least for me.
Steven Ross
It had it's merits as a fun bit of fiction but............

Ever watch a movie or read a book and keep hearing a voice that says,"that's not the way it happened?" You have? Good. 'Nuff said.
Lusitarius
I've loved the movie ever since I saw it for the first time. That time I also had my first crush on actor, and since that I've been a huge Mel Gibson -fan. So it's really no wonder, that I wanted to read this book at some point of my life.

I liked the story very much. I could see it clearly in front of me; every moment of William Wallace's epic story. Characters were described very well, they seemed very realistic. The only negative thing in the book was the few too short chapters, they really bu...more
Sad Face
Easy to read. Not too long. I would recommend this generally to anyone who enjoys reading.

According to my research, and contradictory to popular opinion, this is pretty accurate. The author took some liberaties with the plot and filled in some holes that, honestly, can never be factually filled, but I think he did a good job.

There is nothing fantastical about it, he kept it realistic, and tried his best to stick to the legends and stories that we do have.
Lara
I read this when I was 13 as a strategy for getting my parents to let me watch the movie. I figured I could argue that since I'd read the book, then I knew all gruesome details that would be onscreen and thus not be "warped". That argument worked, and I did get to watch it. I don't remember a whole lot about this book other than I did love reading it despite my ulterior motives. It's grossly historically inaccurate (as is the film), but definitely an invigorating read.
Victor Orozco
Great. As far as movie adaptations go this was pretty good. Great movie Braveheart and just as good as a book. Nice detail to the characters from William Wallace and especially Princess Isabella. My guess over this adaptation is that it was based on a early draft of Randall Wallace's script. Little quirks such as Hamish punching William as a form of affection, the rearrangement of scenes, additional scenes that were probably never filmed or remain on the deleted scenes of a DVD/Blu-Ray release.

T...more
Rosanna
I was disappointed. In short, the movie is far better than the book. I never thought I'd say that.

Of course, that's probably because this book came AFTER the movie.

There is a book the movie is based on, called The Scottish Chiefs. It's on my to-read list.
Ann-marie
If you pick up this book, don't plan on doing anything else until you've finished it. I think it's all time, the best book i've ever read. Oh and also plan on making a trip to the local video rental to get a copy of the movie. Even if you've already seen it.
Arwen56
Lo so che è da "femminucce", ma tutte le volte che leggo il libro o mi capita di rivedere il film, mi metto a singhiozzare. Mi commuove tantissimo questa storia.
Erica
I think it's very difficult to rate a really great book when it has been made into a really great movie. Usually when I read a book-to-movie, I almost always love the book more with the exception being The Notebook. This one was tough because I absolutely LOVED the movie before I even knew it was based on a novel and it is one of the best adaptations of a book that I have seen. I wish that I had read the book first because I think that I would have enjoyed the movie a LOT more. I remember when I...more
Kanami Iinuma
BRAVEHEART - penguin,level3
12/8-60minutes,12/10-30minutes,12/11-30minutes
7words. Man-Scottish-Blitish- family-fight-free-princess
Discussion question.
1.This main character fight to free his country from British, and finally he died. Can you fight for Japan?
-Maybe, I can't! Because I don't have brave heart like him, I don't want to die because of fight.
2.Scottish fought with using only sword. Do you think can they win enemies with using gun?
-I think they can win! Because to use clever idea is impo...more
Kirby
i saw the movie and it was one of my favorites! never read the book
Judy Purdy
Interesting, but not easy reading!
Koichi Amasaki
Randall Wallace captures the essence of William Wallace in ways the movie doesn't. Often times I prefer to read battle and combat scenes instead of watching it on the big screen. These scenes are very well written in the book. I am able to visualize it as I read. Anyone who enjoys the Scottish highlander culture should read the book in addition to seeing the movie.
woody
I loved the movie and so when I saw this book I had to buy it. Not the greatest writing, but the story was just like the movie. I could picture Mel Gibson in my head as I read. Not sure that either the book or the movie is historically accurate, but the story is spellbinding. English oppressors, Scottish rebels with a charismatic leader beating back the more numerous English in most every battle, fighting for freedom.
I think I'll watch the movie again.
Ahmad
William Wallace is a Scottish rebel who leads an uprising against the cruel English ruler Edward the Longshanks, who wishes to inherit the crown of Scotland for himself. When he was a young boy, William Wallace's father and brother, along with many others, lost their lives trying to free Scotland. Once he loses another of his loved ones, William Wallace begins his long quest to make Scotland free once and for all, along with the assistance of Robert the Bruce...
Rkazmierski
I read this before I saw the movie. I loved it mostly because it speaks of patriotic heroism. The action was so intense at times that I felt my heart pounding. The romance side of it balanced the grueling violence enough to bring tears in my eyes amid the battles and suffering. Although true Scots don't like its inaccurate historical content, I very much enjoyed it as it gave me a glimpse into the past days of Scottish highlanders.
Aaron
Braveheart is a sad story about a Scottish man drivin mad by British oppression. William is the main character who loses his wife when a British General kills her. It is a very very sad book and it makes you think a lot. It takes place in the Middle Ages. He is still praised in Scottland for his courage (and yes he was real). I recomend this book to people looking for a good book that will take awhile to finish.
Nicole
It's been quite a long time since I've read this, but it's one of my favorite movies of all time. If I remember right, it keeps very closely to the movie (which was written by the author of the book). I'm told that it isn't an accurate telling of William Wallace's life and that there are other books better suited to that. However, I did enjoy the book.
Jeanettelkb
i LOVE this movie - even though it is not historically accurate. i love the growth of robert the bruce - and the wise cracking stephen.
unfortunately...the book SUCKED!
seriously - it was some MAN's (obviously man) portrayal of a man's man - it was terrible. the relationships between people - etc - terrible.
ick
i wish i hadn't even picked it up
Morv
Obviously this is essentially the movie in a book, it's in no way historically correct (most obvious point being the daughter of the King of France - she never met Wallace because she wasn't in England at the time).
Anyway, it's a good read, nothing hard to read and if you have seen the movie already then you can tell what it will be like.
Brian Burns
The story is definitely interesting, if a bit one-sided. While it portrays the English persecution of the Scots as unjust and cruel, what conquest isn't? Of course, the blood and gore and torture scenes are things it could have done less with. No wonder Mel Gibson picked it up for his film. He has a special affinity for this kind of gory stuff.
Ashley Vaughan
I enjoyed this. It's far-fetched, fanciful and bordering on mythical, but that's what I love about it. Great story of courage and bravery in the fight for freedom. I strongly suspect the picture of William Wallace painted here is one of legend and poetic licence, but I was able to suspend belief and enjoy the story nonetheless.
Mike (the Paladin)
Not a bad read about an extremely inspiring man. The story of the Scottish fight for freedom and the picture we get here of a patriot is a wonderful story. The history is a little shaky, but remember what the newspaper man in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence said: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
Lexi
The only difference between the movie and the book was the ending. There were literally the same lines, same speeches. The book just wasn't that great, the writing wasn't that great. And when you watch the movie you get to look at Mel Gibson so... I'm actually going to go with the movie on this one.
Kara Hunter
Awesome book! I love this movie and I think the book is just as good, if not better! There are more battles and you get to know each of the main characters a lot better than if you just watch the movie. I definitely recommend it!
Maysaloon Abu-Zaglan
This is the kind of movie that move every muscle in your body .. sometimes you cry ,sometimes you laugh, sometimes you feel angry and upset and sometimes you fell happy and pleasure.
The Epic of free you country and yourself.
Zenei
Jun 15, 2011 Zenei rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rate 5
Another one of those books where the movie seems to stand out more but this book does give so many details that either weren't in the movie or better explains what was in the movie. A very good read. Highly recommend.
  • Sleeping With the Enemy
  • Tangled (Disney Tangled)
  • Rain Man
  • The Poseidon Adventure
  • The Night at the Museum
  • Mr. and Mrs. Smith
  • Seven
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • Shrek!
  • Million Dollar Baby: Stories from the Corner
  • The Matrix
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Nanny McPhee: Based on the Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda
Pearl Harbor The Touch Love and Honor We Were Soldiers: The Screenplay The Russian Rose

“Every man dies, not every man really lives” 120 likes