Start by marking “Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment” as Want to Read:
Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment

Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  1,987 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Book by Burroughs, Jeremiah
Published March 1st 2001 by Sovereign Grace Publishers (first published December 1st 1964)

Leslie
In typical puritan style, not for the faint of heart. When you get to the point that you are done with pop-christianity and McChristian books, look no farther than this book for weighty, spiritual depth and life-changing principles. Read slowly in order to digest everything. It is packed full of sound principles; not to be skimmed in a day. But worth all the effort.
Steve Hemmeke
Apr 16, 2012 Steve Hemmeke rated it it was amazing
This series of sermons by the Puritan Burroughs is a rare jewel of solid counsel and instruction for those battling discontent in their souls.

Discontent is all around us. We vent it in coffee shops to friends. Ads for the next cool thing cultivate it for us. In one of the most prosperous societies ever, discontent rages.

Contentment is an inward, quiet submission of the heart, which takes pleasure in God's providence in every situation. So says Burroughs. Many have contentment who don't have much
Natalie Wickham
One of my friends encouraged me to read this book in preparation for a talk I was asked to give on the topic of contentment. She even let me borrow her copy so that I could read it! Mr. Burroughs first published the book in 1648, and it is loaded with wonderful insights, vivid analogies, helpful explanations, and practical applications. One of the most striking explanations that I gleaned from the book is that most Christians don’t handle affliction or loss with contentment because they don’t ex ...more
Linda
This book was very profitable and helpful to me in this day of materialism, covetousness, and greed. Even though I have a very comfortable life, I still find myself complaining and worrying - whether outwardly or in my heart - about trivial matters, and this book really helped put everything into proper perspective.

I was concerned about attempting to read a book that was written in 1648 by a Puritan author, but Burroughs' writing style is very readable, certainly no more difficult than a KJV Bi
Matthew
Quite simply one of the best books I have ever read! Every Christian in America needs to read this book. We complain and complain, or as Burroughs says, "Murmur, Murmur, Murmur..." No matter our circumstance, the current economic problems, or whatever, we find our contentment in Christ and Christ alone. Please, people who read this, read this book and be changed. Thanks be to God that in His providence He raised up men like Burroughs to write things like this. Soli Deo Gloria!
Abby Jones
Mar 14, 2015 Abby Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment (A short review)
By Jeremiah Burroughs

I started reading this book, providentially, at the same time I faced chronic health issues that sapped my energy and forced me to be house bound and mostly couch bound. What a blessing from the Lord! This book challenged me to keep my heart in the right place, trust the Lord, and seek the spiritual growth that comes from affliction.
This is an excellent, easy-to-read, manual for every believer on the importance of conte
Randall Hartman
Jul 21, 2013 Randall Hartman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This exposition of Philippians 4:11 by Puritan Jeremiah Burroughs defines Christian contentment as "that sweet, inward quiet gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition." It is a heart condition that is so opposite that of 21st century culture, which has ingrained me and so many others with serial discontent. Burroughs notes that being well-skilled in the mystery of Christian contentment is the duty, glory, and excellence ...more
Bob O'bannon
Jul 11, 2012 Bob O'bannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When I read the Puritans, I sometimes wonder why I read anything else. This book is a 228-page treatment of Paul's declaration that he had learned to be content in every circumstance. Burroughs analyzes the subject of contentment from about every imaginable angle, and shows a timeless acquaintance with the workings of the human heart. Put asunder any fear that this 17th work will be hard to understand --it is plain spoken, practical and profound.
Joshua
Dec 31, 2011 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book more than 5 stars! If there is a more needed message to our culture today than the lesson of Christian contentment, I don't know what it is! And if anyone could more thoroughly and biblically teach it than Jeremiah Burroughs here does, I don't know who he is!
Bambi Moore
Feb 02, 2015 Bambi Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of delicious truths. A balm to the soul!
Mike E.
A clasic puritan work that will challenge your selfish thoughts and help you discover contentment.

Burroughs is comprehensive, insightful, engineer-like. I recommend looking at the table of contents and lingering on sections that will most help your soul with contentment. I will return to parts of this again and again.

The book is available for free on-line. I read this version:

Quotes:

Contentment is the inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, freely submitt
Dan
Jan 21, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book. Jeremiah Burroughs (British Puritan) delivered this originally as a series of messages to his congregation. Burroughs has a very readable style full of excellent meditations on the sin of discontent.

quotes:

"A gracious heart so esteems its union with Christ and the work that God sets it about that it will not willingly suffer anything to come in to choke it or deaden it."

"A godly man may very well be content, though he has only a little, for what he does have he has by right of
Jenny Suh
Feb 16, 2012 Jenny Suh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this with a bible study group back in undergrad. I started re-reading it in the summer of 2011 and it took me an entire year to finish it.

It's one of those books where you chew on the words carefully and try to get the most flavor out of them as possible.

You wouldn't think the lesson of contentment could take approximately 200 pages to talk about, but Burroughs has made it clear that it's a lesson well worth learning and it's a lesson we will learn and re-learn our entire lives.

I
Casey
Apr 20, 2009 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a book! I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book really seemed to have two themes:

1) Taking stock and recognizing the multitude of God's providential gifts.

2) How to reason with your heart when the providence of God brings you low.

This book is one I should probably re-read every year to work the truth and thought processes contained therein into my thick head. In light of the wealthy land in which we live, how much more should we American Christians excel in this mark of contentment.
" 'All that G
7jane
Apr 19, 2015 7jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Firstly, this book goes well paired with Thomas Brooks' "Heaven On Earth", which I've already read.

This book deals with keeping a content heart whether we're in a time of comfort or time of affliction. It goes deep on the subject of Christian contentment, how it's opposite - murmuring (in dissatisfaction) - is dangerous (and what objections people might have for murmuring), plus finally how to find a way to grow into stable contentment which is a process not happening instantly but takes time..
Aaron Pratt
One of those few books that could easily be read and re-read over and over again, a few pages a day along with the Bible. It is that good, that deep, that challenging, and though convicting is simultaneously encouraging and lifts your soul to see the things of Christ!

The author, in classic Puritan systematic style, first describes what Christian Contentment is. Then explains the mystery of contentment as it is opposite to so much of what the world preaches to us. He goes on to show how Christ te
Amy
May 24, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book!! I read it verrrry slowly, in little increments for over two years (!), but each time I picked it up I benefitted from clear truth about the treasures I have in Christ; treasures which completely overshadow any suffering or sadness I might experience in this world. It was kind of like a spiritual kick up the backside -- when I'm tending to complain or grumble (um, every day), this book is fantastic medicine. Burroughs pulls no punches! Through lots of changes (move of country, three h ...more
Alexis Neal
A well-presented study on contentment, why it matters, and how to develop it. Burroughs is, I think, at his strongest when he is debunking the various common excuses for discontentment. However, I found The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel--a meditation on the many workings of Providence in our lives and the myriad ways God has blessed us--much more encouraging and more effective at dispelling discontentment in my own life. (Although I confess that may be due at least in part to my preferenc ...more
Jeanie
May 05, 2011 Jeanie rated it really liked it
The book took awhile to get thru since it a thoughtful book. I have read several books on contentment. I am not sure I can say if any book is better. I think each have built upon themselves. The contentment that Jeremiah Burroughs was more focused on was afflictions. We can have contentment in our afflictions because by doing so we give honor to God and grace to all people. Grace is key contentment. There are several things that stuck with me on this book and learning contentment is a quiet hear ...more
Beth Anne
May 07, 2014 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Likely one of my top 5 all time reads. First read in 2005. I especially enjoyed this re-read after reading a Burroughs biography earlier this year. I have recommended this book countless times and will continue to do so.

An incredibly thorough examination of the topic of contentment, specially using verses in Philippians. I appreciate that Burroughs writes about the importance of an ongoing battle for contentment in the lives of Christians (and this 400 years ago). Specifically, his arguments st
Michael Cunningham
I needed this book. I need to read it again. Sometimes I found it difficult to follow the writer's train of thought, but it may have been his style that occasionally made it hard. But most of the time, what he was saying was clear, biblical and helpful.
Carol Larson
A Puritan top tens. Amazing how much instruction can be squeezed out from thoughtful meditation by these giants from the past.
Tom
Dec 31, 2016 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't fathom a better book to read going into a new year. Without knowing what the sovereign and providential God will bring into my life in the coming year, Burroughs' book is a good one to prepare the heart to receive God's providential will. In typical Puritan fashion, Burroughs takes a verse and exigetes every last drop from it, helping the reader to explore the depths of God's word. The applications are seemingly endless and the exortations are exceedingly convicting.
Eva B.
Jan 29, 2017 Eva B. rated it really liked it
I have had this book on my shelves for a few years, but only this year did I take courage and read it. It was as convicting as I expected. But Burrough's injunctions on how to turn thoughts to Christ and gain contentment encouraged me also. Although these sermons were preached nearly 400 years ago, human nature has not changed, and the book is still valuable.

Graham Heslop
Feb 20, 2017 Graham Heslop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immensely challenging and welcomely readable work. Though every Christian will wrestle with finding their contentment in God, day to day, one of the the disturbing conclusions reached while reading Burroughs was to ask whether I would be able to have any sort of contentment if God took everything away.
Alena
Mar 20, 2015 Alena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've recently had an interest in the Puritans, and this was the first full-length book by one that I picked up — I'm so glad I did.

What did I get from reading this book? Mostly, I was humbled. First, by Burroughs' grasp of the Word: See his exposition of Philippians 4:7, 9 in Chapter 2 on wanting not just the peace of God, but the God of peace. The verses he quotes are not obscure per se, but will give you a fresh perspective and make you love God's Word more. Second, by how little I know God an
Richard Minor
Jan 18, 2017 Richard Minor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book greatly. Burroughs really challenged my own attitudes toward hardships in my own life and my reaction toward them. That is exactly what a book like this should do.
Jackie Layne
Dec 21, 2016 Jackie Layne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Christian classic
Joe McFadden
Jul 09, 2016 Joe McFadden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This month I wanted to challenge myself in reading a book written before 1900. I came across Jeremy Burroughs book The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment and was definitely curious about it especially since it was written around 1648. This book has received many good reviews and contains a topic that cannot be exhausted in our time. While this is the first book I have read that is categorized as a Puritan classic I enjoyed my reading of it. Regardless of
Mary Ward
Dec 31, 2016 Mary Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and Convicting

The Puritan Jeremiah Burroughs presents a very readable discourse on a much-needed topic of contentment. As applicable today as it was for his seventeenth century audience. I was able to gain much from this book that fed my soul.
This is a series of sermons that are transcribed into book form that Burroughs preached to his congregation. There are a very few, minor typos that are easily overlooked and decipherable. Highly recommended on a topic not much addressed in the twe
  • The Bruised Reed
  • All Things for Good
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Communion with God (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • Holiness
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • The Reformed Pastor
  • A Quest for Godliness
  • Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
Jeremiah Burroughs (or Burroughes) was baptized in 1601 and admitted as a pensioner at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, in 1617. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1621 and a Master of Arts degree in 1624. His tutor was Thomas Hooker.

Burroughs’s ministry falls into four periods, all of which reveal him as a zealous and faithful pastor. First, from about 1627 until 1631, he was assistant to
More about Jeremiah Burroughs...

“Be sure of your call to every business you go about. Though it is the least business, be sure of your call to it; then, whatever you meet with, you may quiet your heart with this: I know I am where God would have me. Nothing in the world will quiet the heart so much as this: when I meet with any cross, I know I am where God would have me, in my place and calling; I am about the work that God has set me.” 13 likes
“You may think you find peace in Christ when you have no outward troubles, but is Christ your peace when the Assyrian comes into the land, when the enemy comes?...Jesus Christ would be peace to the soul when the enemy comes into the city, and into your houses.” 9 likes