Start by marking “The Great Neighborhood Book: A Do-it-Yourself Guide to Placemaking” as Want to Read:
The Great Neighborhood Book: A Do-it-Yourself Guide to Placemaking

The Great Neighborhood Book: A Do-it-Yourself Guide to Placemaking

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Abandoned lots and litter-strewn pathways, or rows of green beans and pockets of wildflowers? Graffiti-marked walls and desolate bus stops, or shady refuges and comfortable seating? What transforms a dingy, inhospitable area into a dynamic gathering place? How do individuals take back their neighborhood?

Neighborhoods decline when the people who live there lose their connec
Published June 1st 2007 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Great Neighborhood Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Neighborhood Book

Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this review, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

Gentrification. There. I said it. It's an instantly controversial term, one that means profoundly different things to different people; for some it's ultimately positive, a process of cleaning up slummy inner-city neighborhoods and making them thriving family communities again, while for others it's
Stephanie Sheaffer
Lots of fantastic ideas for building a stronger sense of community in your neighborhood!

Published in 2007, the book is in need of an update - with glossy pages, color photographs, and current stats. I'd also like to see more practical + detailed ideas for throwing block parties, organizing parades, planning backyard dinners, etc.
Miz Lizzie
More an idea and resource book than a how-to, this book provides some inspirational reading for bringing a sense of belonging and connection to our neighborhoods and towns. I especially appreciated that the examples are not solely US-centric but include a good assortment from Canada and Britain as well as some from Europe. Gratifying that some places I've lived (Madison, WI, North Carolina) and projects I've participated in (EcoTeams) are included. Depressing to find my current location complete ...more
Jim Dressner
This 173-page book is full of ideas about how to improved neighborhoods. The ideas are short--only 1-4 pages each--and often accompanied by a success story or two. The ideas are gathered into eight chapters around themes like transportation, safety, clean & green, economic vibrancy, etc. This is more of a resource of ideas that one can refer to, rather than a book with a logical thread that runs cover-to-cover. This is an excellent resource for anyone concerned with neighborhood revitalizati ...more
Anna
The Great Neighborhood Book is a fast and easy read, full of suggestions that will inspire you to make your neighborhood more like a village.

...Assuming, that is, that you live in a city. I docked a star because there's absolutely nothing in the book for rural dwellers, and the author seems actively opposed to us in spots. Anyone have a suggestion for a similar book for those of us who hate cities?
Constantine
Not the most comprehensive book on planning and community development, but certainly provides an interesting array of powerful vignettes. A better book for true beginners to the concept of re-centralizing community than guide for those looking to make an impact in the near future. Several stories were particularly inspiring however, and the Great Neighborhood Book does lead one to re-believe in the power of small actions for great good.
Molly
This is a collection of stories and successful projects all designed to inspire anyone to improve their quality of life, by improving their neighborhood. I found a few ideas which I hope to implement, like setting up a walking school bus. However, one of the best parts of this book is realizing the great things that already exist in your neighborhood!
Trish
I'm currently involved with a neighborhood group that is working to revitalize a neglected public space on our street as well as build community and pride in our ever-changing neighborhood. This book has given me/us great ideas to help develop our block into the small-town feel of a community where neighbors know each other and help each other.
Ross
Mar 11, 2008 Ross rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: activists, urban dwellers
Shelves: reference
A large collection of how-to stories about people improving their neighborhood. Project for Public Spaces, the group that compiled the book, calls it "placemaking" - making your block or street a more friendly, safe, and interactive place to live. Apart from being inspirational, reading these stories is just plain fun.
Jeff
Feb 06, 2014 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This book has some great ideas and is generally very well written, although by about 75% of the way through the book, Mr. Walljasper's anecdotes start to sound a bit repetitious, as if he's trying to stretch his material across too many pages.
Robin-Elise Call
good start for the lay-person, wanting to actually invest in their local space. It doesn't matter what a person's economy is, we are responsible for creating out own communities.
Tatjana
This book is meant entirely for urban populations. It does not even address rural neighborhoods.
Too bad.
If you live in a city, it's great.
Annie
Inspiring examples and stories of community building
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Grant Allen
Grant Allen marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Dave Menninger
Dave Menninger marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Pearl
Pearl marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jay Walljasper chronicles stories from around the world that point us toward a greener, more equitable and more enjoyable future. His focus goes beyond what’s in the headlines to chronicle the surprising real life of communities today.

Jay is editor of OnTheCommons.org and a Senior Fellow Fellow and editor at On the Commons.org, an organization devoted to restoring an appreciation of common purpos
More about Jay Walljasper...
All That We Share Visionaries: People and Ideas to Change Your Life (Utne Reader Books) 틱낫한에서 촘스키까지 - 더 실용적이고 창조적인 삶의 전망 61장 Visionaries: People and Ideas That Will Change Your World