Start by marking “The Great Neighborhood Book: A Do-it-Yourself Guide to Placemaking” as Want to Read:
The Great Neighborhood Book: A Do-it-Yourself Guide to Placemaking

The Great Neighborhood Book: A Do-it-Yourself Guide to Placemaking

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Abandoned lots and litter-strewn pathways, or rows of green beans and pockets of wildflowers? Graffiti-marked walls and desolate bus stops, or shady refuges and comfortable seating? What transforms a dingy, inhospitable area into a dynamic gathering place? How do individuals take back their neighborhood?

Neighborhoods decline when the people who live there lose their connec
Published June 1st 2007 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Great Neighborhood Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Neighborhood Book

Jason Pettus
Jul 28, 2008 Jason Pettus rated it really liked it
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this review, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

Gentrification. There. I said it. It's an instantly controversial term, one that means profoundly different things to different people; for some it's ultimately positive, a process of cleaning up slummy inner-city neighborhoods and making them thriving family communities again, while for others it's
Stephanie Sheaffer
Jul 08, 2014 Stephanie Sheaffer rated it really liked it
Lots of fantastic ideas for building a stronger sense of community in your neighborhood!

Published in 2007, the book is in need of an update - with glossy pages, color photographs, and current stats. I'd also like to see more practical + detailed ideas for throwing block parties, organizing parades, planning backyard dinners, etc.
Miz Lizzie
More an idea and resource book than a how-to, this book provides some inspirational reading for bringing a sense of belonging and connection to our neighborhoods and towns. I especially appreciated that the examples are not solely US-centric but include a good assortment from Canada and Britain as well as some from Europe. Gratifying that some places I've lived (Madison, WI, North Carolina) and projects I've participated in (EcoTeams) are included. Depressing to find my current location complete ...more
Jim Dressner
May 23, 2013 Jim Dressner rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This 173-page book is full of ideas about how to improved neighborhoods. The ideas are short--only 1-4 pages each--and often accompanied by a success story or two. The ideas are gathered into eight chapters around themes like transportation, safety, clean & green, economic vibrancy, etc. This is more of a resource of ideas that one can refer to, rather than a book with a logical thread that runs cover-to-cover. This is an excellent resource for anyone concerned with neighborhood revitalizati ...more
Anna
May 12, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
The Great Neighborhood Book is a fast and easy read, full of suggestions that will inspire you to make your neighborhood more like a village.

...Assuming, that is, that you live in a city. I docked a star because there's absolutely nothing in the book for rural dwellers, and the author seems actively opposed to us in spots. Anyone have a suggestion for a similar book for those of us who hate cities?
Constantine
Aug 06, 2009 Constantine rated it liked it
Not the most comprehensive book on planning and community development, but certainly provides an interesting array of powerful vignettes. A better book for true beginners to the concept of re-centralizing community than guide for those looking to make an impact in the near future. Several stories were particularly inspiring however, and the Great Neighborhood Book does lead one to re-believe in the power of small actions for great good.
Molly
Jun 30, 2008 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This is a collection of stories and successful projects all designed to inspire anyone to improve their quality of life, by improving their neighborhood. I found a few ideas which I hope to implement, like setting up a walking school bus. However, one of the best parts of this book is realizing the great things that already exist in your neighborhood!
Trish
Nov 01, 2007 Trish rated it really liked it
I'm currently involved with a neighborhood group that is working to revitalize a neglected public space on our street as well as build community and pride in our ever-changing neighborhood. This book has given me/us great ideas to help develop our block into the small-town feel of a community where neighbors know each other and help each other.
Ross
Mar 11, 2008 Ross rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: activists, urban dwellers
Shelves: reference
A large collection of how-to stories about people improving their neighborhood. Project for Public Spaces, the group that compiled the book, calls it "placemaking" - making your block or street a more friendly, safe, and interactive place to live. Apart from being inspirational, reading these stories is just plain fun.
Jeff
Sep 16, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it
This book has some great ideas and is generally very well written, although by about 75% of the way through the book, Mr. Walljasper's anecdotes start to sound a bit repetitious, as if he's trying to stretch his material across too many pages.
Robin-Elise Call
May 02, 2010 Robin-Elise Call rated it liked it
good start for the lay-person, wanting to actually invest in their local space. It doesn't matter what a person's economy is, we are responsible for creating out own communities.
Tatjana
Apr 25, 2012 Tatjana rated it liked it
This book is meant entirely for urban populations. It does not even address rural neighborhoods.
Too bad.
If you live in a city, it's great.
Annie
Apr 11, 2008 Annie rated it really liked it
Inspiring examples and stories of community building
Brendan McGill
Brendan McGill marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Anita Ung
Anita Ung marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Aidenpants
Aidenpants rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Laura-marie
Laura-marie is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2016
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Pablo Iriarte
Pablo Iriarte marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Ozlemnur  Ataol Akpinar
Ozlemnur Ataol Akpinar marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Marit Brock
Marit Brock rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Joanne Greig
Joanne Greig marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
James
James added it
Apr 02, 2016
Lori Gromen
Lori Gromen rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Tyler Wagner
Tyler Wagner marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jon
Jon added it
Feb 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Abundant Community: Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods
  • Chainbreaker Bike Book: A Rough Guide to Bicycle Maintenience
  • The Carbon-Free Home: 36 Remodeling Projects to Help Kick the Fossil-Fuel Habit
  • Pocket Neighborhoods: Creating Small-Scale Community in a Large-Scale World
  • The Smart Growth Manual
  • Restoring At-Risk Communities: Doing It Together and Doing It Right
  • The Better World Handbook: Small Changes That Make a Big Difference
  • Big-Box Swindle: The True Cost of Mega-Retailers and the Fight for America's Independent Businesses
  • Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide
  • The Transition Companion: Making Your Community More Resilient in Uncertain Times
  • Great Streets
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • The Great Good Place: Cafes, Coffee Shops, Bookstores, Bars, Hair Salons, and Other Hangouts at the Heart of a Community
  • A Long Day at the End of the World
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • Reconciling All Things: A Christian Vision for Justice, Peace and Healing
  • The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World
  • Good City Form
Jay Walljasper chronicles stories from around the world that point us toward a greener, more equitable and more enjoyable future. His focus goes beyond what’s in the headlines to chronicle the surprising real life of communities today.

Jay is editor of OnTheCommons.org and a Senior Fellow Fellow and editor at On the Commons.org, an organization devoted to restoring an appreciation of common purpos
More about Jay Walljasper...