Start by marking “Living Single” as Want to Read:
Living Single

Living Single

2.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
At thirty-two, Erin Weston has decided to make a concerted effort to find The One, though certainly not at the expense of her career in a Boston PR firm. But when she meets the married man-of-her-dreams, she has to figure out how to chase after the real Mr. Right when Mr. Right-Now has swept her off her feet.

Abby Walker is New England's version of a steel magnolia. A hopel

Paperback
Published September 1st 2002 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Living Single, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Single

Megan Fowler
Jul 22, 2014 Megan Fowler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only putting this in here because someone left it in my mailbox, with a note for me to read it. I THINK they meant well, but I was horrifically offended by the implication.

Regardless, this book is terrible. Save yourselves from the pain of this read and pour acid in your eyes instead.
Chrissy
Jan 28, 2010 Chrissy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I hated this book. I forced myself to read it because my mom insisted, but it was predictable and unimaginative, with shallow characters falling into every cliche possible. Don't waste your time.
Pushmelanie
Feb 12, 2013 Pushmelanie rated it did not like it
Total hack job rip off of Sex and the City. The characters were almost the exact same right down to the slutty Samantha and a cancer scare. Why did I finish it? Because I started it.
Ema Threse
Nov 15, 2015 Ema Threse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was full of bumbles and love. Although it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, I enjoyed it.

When I read the premise, I wasn't expecting Erin to end up spending a lot of the book with a married man. This was hard for me to really get into since it made me feel uncomfortable, and I couldn't buy into the love between them as to really buy into it, I'd have needed his involvement in this book.

Other than that, however, this was a really strong book.

I loved the characterization in particular. Fro
Jackie Mceachern
Sep 24, 2012 Jackie Mceachern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, for me, a book meets me exactly where I am. That was the case for this book. It's light, easy reading, "chick lit" fare but it was exactly what I needed to read this past weekend. I have a lot of angst in my life right now and I needed a book that was entertaining and insightful but in a easy way. The story focuses on Erin and her three best friends in their quest for finding true love. They are all reaching their mid-thirties, single and starting to feel a little panic about whether ...more
Michelle Molinari
Jul 20, 2015 Michelle Molinari rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be a fun summer read. Single girl about town in Boston, it sounded amazing but the first 200 pages are about the main character's affair with a married man and her best friend dating her father. Yuck, not interested. The affair is such a large part of this book that it should be in the summary. The book should also be half as long as it is. Cut the slow/uninteresting parts. Cut all the "Reason" and "Romance" inner dialogue. I get it, the angel and devil on your shoulder but ...more
Amanda
May 07, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gah. just lost my review. so....a summary. It was not like Sex in the City other then the formula of four women friends. The archetypes are completely different. Erin is no Carrie Bradshaw. She actually pissed me off when she turned down Barnes and Noble guy.
The ending attempted to wrap up everything neatly but was too abrupt and failed. I don't believe I will read this author again.
Meghan
Ugh.

This is not a book about being single in your early 30s! Ok, maybe bits and pieces of the book are. However, the main focus is the main character's affair with a married man. For a year.
Chris
May 16, 2014 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not finish. Characters were so incredibly shallow and plot was just boring. Couldn't connect with main character at all. Pretty awful.
Amy
Jul 23, 2014 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly Chamberlain’s Living Single was a fanciful fluff read. For this avid foodie, the places they visited and the drinks and cuisine they consumed were as delicious as the story. At times I felt the characters were contrived but overall I liked the close-knit girlfriend group and how they always had each other’s’ backs during the difficult times. I cared about their successes and often yelled at the screen when I saw them sliding back into their previous mistakes. I came away from the read feel ...more
Heather
Apr 14, 2015 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, now that I've had time to cool off a bit after reading this I wanted to update my review.

I picked up this book and liked the summary on the back cover: single woman in her 30s is reexamining whether she wants to go the marriage/kids route after all. Being in a similar place in life, I was intrigued.

In no way shape or form did I think this story was going to chronicle a year in the life of this single woman's affair with a married man! I had zero sympathy for the main character and found myse
Liz
Mar 31, 2015 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this wasn't a terrible book. It was a fairly quick read so that was nice. Erin's relationship with Doug annoyed me first of all because he was a married man. She was never going to get what she wanted out of the relationship because he was already married. And also because he obviously wasn't good for her and didn't treat her right. However, I enjoyed reading about Erin's friends and their relationships.
The main thing that annoyed me throughout the book was "Romance" and Reason." In eve
Amanda Chomiak
An incredibly emotional book. Yes, it was cute in places and funny, even, but the overarching plotline was absolutely heartbreaking. The pain caused by an affair was felt in the author's words. The heart wants what it wants, but at what point do you let your mind, or "Reason" in this book, win out over "Romance?" I loved the book because it gave us a look into the other side of an affair, from the POV of the mistress. They're not all out to destroy a happy marriage. A lot of the responsibility f ...more
Reshma
Jan 23, 2016 Reshma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what I needed for a quick trip - on the plane, by the pool, at the airport during a delay, and finished it up during a snow day at home. It's not the most intellectual or deep book but that doesn't mean it was bad. It was light, engaging, believable, a bit juicy and dramatic and had an ending that I was comfortable with. A great beach read.
Grace
Jun 29, 2014 Grace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read

This was an interesting book that took a look at a year in the lives of four friends and their love lives. It reminded me a bit of the tv series Sex and the City but with more depth in the relationships. All the friends were entirely different but compatible. The only real criticism that I would have would be the ending which felt a bit rushed and inconclusive.
Aly
Jan 30, 2012 Aly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, as a light interlude from some heavier stuff, but didn't love it and will probably promptly forget it. It was very sex & the city, just in Boston. I'm not really into reading about the main character as 'the other woman'... Overall I feel like there's not a whole lot to say about this. The other characters were pretty much cardboard cutouts- with the possible exception of JoAnne who had only slightly more depth than the others. Abby especially was incredibly annoying as ...more
Elizabeth Kenyon
Oct 02, 2014 Elizabeth Kenyon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a light quick read about girls in their early thirties living, dating, having girl talk ... I could relate at this point in my life so I enjoyed reading it.
Drusilla
Jul 17, 2012 Drusilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My book had a totally different cover which was much more interesting. If I saw this cover, I would have judged the book by its cover and not read it.

Recommended by a friend who had just started reading it and prefaced by saying a beach read. Wow the first 20 pages or so were fun!!! Brought me back to days after college living in Boston with good friends. However, the book soon gets quite tedious.

Must say that it was refreshing at the end the main character made the right decision to put her li
Desiree
vapid chick-lit i picked up at goodwill. basically "sex in the city" set in boston with early 30-somethings instead of early 40-somethings. i do like recognizing restaurants and landmarks and intersections; fun!

it was not as horribly predictable as expected, and i did enjoy the characters, especially the mum (whom we glimpse only in her hurried postcards from "somewhere in south america.")

a shame about the numerous typos, and this is certainly not high literature, but i'd go so far as to say if
Gretchen Stein
Nov 05, 2015 Gretchen Stein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny and amusing book about four friends living in Boston and entering their mid thirties and still not married.
Allison
Found it. Difficult to deal with the main character and her apparently total lack of reason and self respect.
The Bibliophile
Mar 16, 2015 The Bibliophile rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-wasters
Ugh, this book is awful. What a waste of time.
Michele Varljen
May 04, 2014 Michele Varljen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book.
withinpeace
I enjoyed reading this book. At times, I felt like I was reading Sex in the City meets Boston. The book focuses on four single ladies in their thirties who are exploring what it means to be single and can happiness exist outside of a loving relationship. As each character comes to her own conclusions and inevitably makes peace with her singleness, the reader is able to empathize with each character along their journey. While I wouldn't re-read this book, I would recommend it as a great book to t ...more
Angela
Aug 14, 2013 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, my friend gave me this book, but I didn't realize she was simply 'getting rid of it'. This book is AWFUL. The dialogue sounds like a first draft. There's no subtext or subtlety and half the book is clothing and food descriptions.

Annoyingly, I can't stop reading it. What is WITH that? Ugh.

Fluff fiction. Avoid at all costs, lest you get sucked into the suckage that is this terrible book.

At least I did learn how not to write a novel!
Courtney Montiero
This book was just ok. I couldn't really relate to any of the characters and the author tends to write in questions to accentuate the main character's thought processes. The whole book focused on the main character's relationship with a married man. There was very little development for that character. Her 3 friends seem to have gone through deeper transformations but you don't really get to connect with them.
Sherri Hunter
Feb 24, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Couldn't get beyond the first 150 pages. The author failed to draw me into caring about Erin. Her pursuit of a married man totally turned me off. Adultery is a plot device I cannot tolerate seeing in the central characters. I could have accepted her doing anything but that. I have other books by this author and hopefully they will elicit a better reaction from me.
Kelli
This book reminded me a lot of Sex and the City. Four, single, friends who are there for one another's highs and lows. Erin, the main character, resembles most single women and while the ending is not what I expected..it left me encouraged for her. I would recommend this to any single 30-something woman.
Cindy
Nov 03, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book not because it was Based in Boston and I knew a lot of the landmarks. The story is about 4 best friends and how they help each other through relationships for they are single. I have read some of Holly Chamberlin books and this is one of her best.
Gina
Well even though it's marked read, like a few other reviewers here on Goodreads I couldn't get past 100 pages. I wanted to like it because I recognized the Boston setting but I didn't care about the characters or what Erin does. Sorry, off to find a better book.
  • Valentine's Day Is Killing Me
  • Neurotica
  • The First Warm Evening of the Year
  • Beach Season
  • Pink Slip
  • Lost & Found (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Stay At Home Dead (Stay At Home Dad Mystery #1)
  • Antiques Disposal (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #6)
  • Bachelor Boys
  • Bikini Season
  • It's My F---ing Birthday
  • Mine Are Spectacular!
  • Let It Snow
Holly Chamberlin is a native New Yorker, but she now lives in Portland, Maine - the aftermath of stumbling across Mr. Right at the one moment she wasn't watching the terrain. She's been writing and editing - poetry, children's fantasies, a romance novel or two, among many other genres and projects - her entire life. She has two cats, Betty and Cyrus, and when she's not writing her hobbies include ...more
More about Holly Chamberlin...