Start by marking “Fields Of Greens” as Want to Read:

Fields Of Greens

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
437 pages
Published 1993 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Fields Of Greens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fields Of Greens

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
163rd out of 1,009 books — 996 voters
Gluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. CloverThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenFields Of Greens by Annie SomervilleVegetarian Times Complete Cookbook by Vegetarian TimesThe Greens Cookbook by Deborah Madison
Great Veg Cookbooks
2nd out of 39 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Margie
May 01, 2012 Margie rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
The last time I was at Greens, Robin Williams was eating there. Apparently he eats there a lot. If I had the money, I would, too.

Greens is more than just a vegetarian restaurant. It's a wonderful eating experience, whether one is vegetarian or not. It's true that there's an emphasis on their fantastic produce, but you won't miss the meat.

I'm probably the worst person to review cookbooks, since I tend to view recipes as inspiration rather than direction. Case in point: last night I made the Palak
Melipstick
Sep 25, 2007 Melipstick rated it really liked it
The Buttermilk Ginger Lemon Muffin recipe is fantastic. So is the ginger marinated tofu recipe, and the peanut sauce. Some of the recipes seem a little on the fancy side, and I find some of the ingredients difficult to get my hands on, but the more basic recipes are worth purchasing this book on Amazon used for $1.99.
Valerie
Aug 17, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Valerie by: Debbie
Shelves: cookbooks
This one has a wide variety of vegetarian recipes. Lately we have been making a lot of curried spinach soup with coconut milk. The children like the greens and the rice, and they love coconut milk.
Gina
Apr 26, 2010 Gina marked it as cooking
So far:

Three Bean Salad with Jicama and Orange: Fantastic and worth the price of the book for me. I will be making this often. Used canned beans to speed it up, since it calls for three different types which must all be cooked separately.

Jicama-Orange Salad: Did a mix of oranges and grapefruit as suggested as an alternative. Might have been better with better produce. Included radishes, but I don't really care for the bitterness they added. Probably won't make again.

Corn and Bulgur Salad with C
Susan
Dec 05, 2007 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Excellent vegetarian recipes that I return to time and time again. It expanded my repertoire even more by adding twists to the usual fare that I've been able to incorporate into other things we'd been cooking for years. For example, making our own chipoltle sauce (which stores forever) to use on quesadillas as a base (besides cheese) has made the usual kid-food something delectable!
Siberia
Jan 05, 2011 Siberia rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is an excellent vegetarian cookbook. I've made many of the recipes over several years, and everything I've cooked has been excellent and visually appealing. The only drawback is that these recipes tend to be very time consuming, so in our house this is more a cookbook for special occasions than something for everyday use. Still excellent, though.
Megan
Oct 11, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book. No pictures but that's perfectly alright. I think cookbooks which are accessible to the masses contain recipes which utilize what most of us have readily on-hand but in elevated combinations which inspire. This book does that. Branch out there and try a few things. They are tasty recipes!
Sandi
May 25, 2010 Sandi rated it it was amazing
I bought this book back in the 1980s after falling in love with Greens restaurant and have used it ever since. The recipes tend to be somewhat complex (though not outrageous like French Laundry Cookbook or anything) but they are ALL absolutely FABULOUS!
Linda
Nov 09, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Love love love the lemon ice cream recipe. The Moroccan Lentil soup is perfect for cold days when you feel the need for warmth and nourishment!
A lovely vegetarian cook book if you want something spectacular and delicious.
Dioscita
Feb 10, 2008 Dioscita rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-food
We're just beginning to test the waters of this book (and are already immensely fond of the original Greens cookbook) but so far this is promising!
Nick
Oct 25, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
One of the few vegetarian cookbooks I've ever found worth a damn. Recipes are slightly complicated, but 100% reliable if done well.
Kelly Lack
Mar 07, 2008 Kelly Lack rated it it was amazing
My go-to cookbook.
Leslie Gill
Leslie Gill rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Mark Albright
Mark Albright rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Lisa Coggins
Lisa Coggins rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Julie Filucci
Julie Filucci rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Gingerlee Charles
Gingerlee Charles rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Zara
Zara marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Butte
Butte added it
Nov 20, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Jennifer S. Rubin
Jennifer S. Rubin rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Angie Lassig
Angie Lassig rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Kami Ahmad
Kami Ahmad rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
  • The New Laurel's Kitchen
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Great Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking
  • Real Vegetarian Thai
  • The Candle Cafe Cookbook: More Than 150 Enlightened Recipes from New York's Renowned Vegan Restaurant
  • The River Cafe Cookbook
  • Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden: Creative Gardening for the Adventurous Cook