Taming Clay

Taming Clay

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Surly didn't begin to describe Clay Cardell. A lifetime of experience taught him not to love and never to trust, but he desperately needed a business manager. What he got was a spunky, high-tempered woman who tilted his world more than a little off-center. But if he had learned anything in his life, it was to not expect her to stick around. You don't trust a woman, any wom...more
Published April 26th 2012 by P.O. Milligan

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryMolly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? by Molly IvinsThe Time It Never Rained by Elmer KeltonThe Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtryBurn Down the Ground by Kambri Crews
Texas Authors
89th out of 295 books — 101 voters
A River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman MacleanThe Whistling Season by Ivan DoigDancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan DoigThis House of Sky by Ivan DoigEnglish Creek by Ivan Doig
Best Montana Books
46th out of 114 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Debra
Don't bother. This book is WAY WAY too long, and filled to brimmng with grammatical errors and typos. The story is tiresome, the characters whiny and complaining, and the plot very contrived. The relationship between the male characters is a little odd, to say the least. Lots of tears. Lots of angst. Lots of ridiculousness. Come on. Clay doesn't know how to have a relationship and needs to ask his buddies for advice at every turn? I think not. Also, he's mean and suspicious as anything, and Hail...more
Germaine
Once again I was sucked in by all those five-star reviews. I guess a lot of people value quantity over quality. I can only second the opinions of those who thought this book was waaaaay, waaaaay too long.

The hero is one of these guys who just can't trust women, no matter what. He owns a big ranch in Montana where his best bud, Laine, is his right-hand man and the grizzled old timer that helped raise him is also in residence. These two spend page after page after page convincing the hero that if...more
Katrina
Taming Clay was a wonderfully written Western Cowboy story. With a storyline that will certainly keep you intrigued until the end.

I enjoyed all the characters put forth, we have female kick arse lead who knows what she wants, and takes no crap from Anyone. She is straight forward, and mouthy but saying that - she sticks to her guns and says what she thinks.

I must say if she wasn't as hard headed and tough I dont think she would've put up with Clay that long. He was one cranky - moody bitch lol...more
Char (1RadReader59)
I totally enjoyed this book. It had so many twist & turns that it made it so very interesting. Clay is a person you really want to hate right off the bat. Yet, you get his background & see why he is the way he is with trust being his biggest issue. Then here comes Hailey with a similar background just not as hurtful to the heart. But with the help of Clay's friends & employees who love him Hailey sees beyond what he shows on the top layer & with just enough neediness to want his...more
Elise Marion
First let me start by saying that I was sucked into this story from the start. Its been awhile since I've read a good Western Romance, and this one was perfect with its rich Montana setting. I believed this story. I believed what the author was trying to convey. Never been on a ranch but I could totally see myself visiting the Double C Bar, especially if sexy, studly Clay is there!

As a character, he was very complex, which is something that I love in a romance hero. I like reading about a man t...more
Pam
This is one of those books I'd really like to leave a four-star rating for, but just can't. I liked the characters and the story; I believe the author is a good storyteller. But she needs to learn more about the mechanics of writing, in my opinion, and could benefit from a good editor.

To be specific, the point of view changes in the book made my head spin. I can't count the number of times I had to stop and reread an entire page in order to determine who "he" or "she" was in a given paragraph. A...more
Marcie Oropeza
Raeann Blake is rapidly becoming a very favorite author. The quality of her character and plot development is incredible; the depths of her characters, the scope of her plots, her attention to detail....She is, for me, one of those authors (like KA) on whom you can depend for a consistently entertaining read. I can never put her books down, I have to read them straight through.

This book is set in Montana on a ranch. The two protagonists are mirror images of one another. Raeann was able to presen...more
Jennie
I loved this book!!!! I highly recommend this book. Raeann us an awesome writer, so far all her books I have read have been hard for me to put down. When I finish, I wish it could have continued, makes me feel as if I was there with the characters and experiencing everything.....there is not words to explain how I felt reading this book.
Pj Nusbaum
Taming Clay is a great read. I have read it many times. You will get mad as heck at Clay an you will shed a few tears. It made me mad at the way Clay was treated, but it also made me mad at the way he treats others. Get your copy an read for yourself. I love a good cowboy story.
Anna
I absolutely loved this book. There aren't enough deep, long, transformative romances like this one available, so I cherished my time reading this book. I loved everyone of the characters, even the mean ones!!! I couldn't put this book down!
Ginny Rose
This was a must read!! The characters were well described the setting very detailed. My heart ached for Clay and Hailey. This book made me want to move to a ranch so I can sleep under the stars and see Montana skies for myself.
Donna Charles
I liked the twists in this story and I think Hailey and Clay really fit as a couple. They both had to learn and grow to form their relationship and to help each other learn to trust.
Diana Hockley
This book should have been a good read. The premise was right, all the usual suspects were in place - the good girl, the bad girl, the angst-ridden hero, the crook, the old-timer psuedo dad and the best friend supported by a cast of extras.

The plot should have worked, but unfortunately it didn't for me.

Despite a strong start, the story soon rambled. Definitely too long and the author allows the plot to get bogged down in trivia - e.g. when the team herd the cattle, there is so much detail that i...more
Selena Lang
There were a lot of things I liked about this book, but some I did not. The Main character (Clay) was a bit of a jerk to the heroine in the story. I understand his back story made him that way, but I saw no real change in him over the course of the book. She just accepted his ways without a lot of question which drove me nuts. The main hero also was a bit of a wimp in my book. the story line of the friendship between him and Laine seemed almost boyfriend/boyfriend in nature, not just like brothe...more
Wanda
What can I say about this book? It was fantastic! Clay Cordell had a very hard life growing up with a father that hated him. Hailey Lambert grew up with a father that made her fight for her rights to work on his ranch. Both had a childhood that was planted on rocky soil but when Hailey takes a job on Clay's ranch she has a feeling of coming home and Clay's life is turned upside down. The road is rocky for them both. Can Clay learn to trust? Can Hailey give her heart freely? Find out in this beau...more
Dawn  Johnson
Talk about wanting to slap someone there were parts of this book where I wanted to throw my phone across the room. Frustration takes a toll on me apparently but that is what makes this a great book to read. I enjoyed the book very much & I highly recommend this book. Highs & Lows Happy & Sad Good & Bad it has it all. I could not put the book down.
Desiree Lewis
I really fell in love with every character and couldn't stop reading! Free kindle book!
Monica
Ugh! Weak plot line. Weak main characters.
Unique'ka
I loved it
Morag
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Wonderful character development.
Mei
I really liked this book and the characters of Clay, Hailey, Shack and Laine and even the villians, Yates, Pepper and Lynn...BUT I ABSOLUTELY HATED how poorly this book was edited. There were skeletons in the closet and bones dropping out in every chapter. Had this book not been so poorly edited, I could have happily gave it 4.5 stars or even 5. Blake has talent for telling a western tale. I hope she finds better editing in the future!
Jenn
I really enjoyed the story, laughing out loud in many spots and sympathizing with the characters in others. I do have two complaints though: needs editing due to incorrect use of apostrophes throughout the book, and there was too much embellishment in several scenes - could have gotten the point across with far fewer words. Overall though it was a good read and I'd like to get more of the author's work.
Kellie Whitaker
Longest book ever! There were so many details, I pretty much scanned the last half of the book. I enjoyed the story between Clay and Hailey, but felt there were so many characters it was hard to keep track of the storylines (Laine, Shack, Pepper, Charlie, Houston, Davey, Kathy, Gage, Taylor, Timothy, etc.)
Desiree Holt
I really wanted to love this story because the characters are so great,. And the premise opened the door wide for a wonderful romance. I loved Hailey and Clay but after a while I just wanted to smack the stuffing out of Clay. I understand the man had issues but enough already. Redeeming feature: a very satisfying ending.
ValerieC

Too long because it was sooooooo repetitive

Needs a proof-reader in the WORST way.

Ditto for an editor.

Even when things are 'tied up' at the end, some still didn't make sense at all.

What's with all the crying men?

And honestly, all of that coffee would give everyone diarrhea and nausea!
Kristal Jones
Was ok could have been much better without all the smoking and drinking. If you don't like cowboy romances this is not a book for you. I felt the author could have explained the characters and scenery a bit more, but it was an easy read that wasn't to horrible.
Downward dog
I enjoyed reading this story about ranch owner about Clay Cardell. He hires Hailey Lambert as his business manager for the ranch. Hailey turns out to be a smart business manager who is able to straighten out his books and steal his heart.
Laurie
Raeann is one hell of a writer. Her stories are so layered with amazingly strong characters. At times it was a bit verbose and seemed to drag on, but yet there isn't anything I would cut. I loved Clay and Hailey. Shack was just as wonderful.
Miriam Jackson
got the book am amazon for free... I now see why they did that. It was long and there was a good section of the book I just skipped. Did it really need to take 355 pages for them to get married? Do not buy this book.
Diane O'connell
I read this in its initial release so there were many grammatical errors but they have since fixed these. The book was a very good story that you can't put Dow. Good summer read.
  • Dream Kisses (Romance on the Ranch, #1)
  • Sweet Vengeance
  • Keeping the Peace (Aspen Valley, #1)
  • Two Days of a Dream
  • Catch Me a Catch
  • Tin Angel
  • Destiny Wears Spurs
  • Under a Texas Star
  • Into the Arms of a Cowboy
  • Sweet and Wild
  • Mending Fences
  • The Rancher (Redbourne Series, #1)
  • Cooking For Cowboy
  • Cowgirl Up!
  • Midnight Lover
  • A Needful Heart
  • Zakia and the Cowboy (Thunder Creek Ranch #1)
  • Cowboy-Sexy
6120413
Raeann Blake has worked in software development for more than a decade, but uses a long history of experience in occupations from waitress to assembly line worker, from secretary to stay-at-home mom and more to lend credibility to many of her characters. A vivid imagination led her into being a "closet" author for more than five years before she finally decided to heed the advice and encouragement...more
More about Raeann Blake...
Jake (The Seven Brothers of Elko, #1) Red Says I Love You Davis (The Seven Brothers of Elko, #2) Michael (The Seven Brothers of Elko: Book Three)