Start by marking “It's Raining Frogs and Fishes: Four Seasons of Natural Phenomena and Oddities of the Sky” as Want to Read:

A spellbinding look into the natural world's most fascinating and baffling phenomena, with illustrated explanations of rainbows, meteors, sunsets, hurricanes, the northern lights, and dozens of other curiosities of the sky.
Published August 4th 1993 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about It's Raining Frogs and Fishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Raining Frogs and Fishes

Julia
Apr 21, 2015 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed The Windward Shore: A Winter on the Great Lakes Jerry Dennis, and the title of this 1992 book by him intrigued me. I enjoy scientific non-fiction, and so the subtitle was also interesting.

Certainly this book has many wonderful details, and I smiled when Dennis says, in the introduction: "We've tried to make the book as useful as possible, dividing it by sections into four seasons, so it can be used as a kind of field guide. Hopefully it will anticipate some excellent questions. Perhaps
Patty
Great explanation of so many natural events. As the author intended, you can find the answer to so many questions that you've wondered about.
But I could only read the first section which was about happenings in Spring and then had to put it down and think about it. This is not the lyrical, philosophic Jerry Dennis that I enjoyed in the past but an enjoyable teacher. I intend to read the rest of the seasons as they happen.
David Ward
It's Raining Frogs and Fishes: Four Seasons of Natural Phenomena and Oddities From the Sky by Jerry Dennis (Harper Collins 1992) (551.6) is a great book of the natural history of weather and weather-related phenomena. It's full of my kind of trivia. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 4/18/12.
Katie
Aug 26, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
Picked this one off the shelf because of its cover and title. I may not have learned much new information, apart from how entertainingly erroneous Pliny the Elder was, but it was a good refresher and reminder about how awesome our sky is.
Lee
Aug 07, 2009 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaia-reading
I love this book! It is giving me all kinds of ideas for cool "air" powers in the next Gaia Girls book. Glenn Wolff's illustrations are amazing. I want posters of them! Thought I would share this as I am back to work on Gaia Girls Air Apparent.
Agony
Jan 31, 2014 Agony added it
It is fairly infomitive and I look forward to flaunt what I learned at the next picnic I attend.
Les
Jan 02, 2016 Les added it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
An interesting read about the seasons, weather, the sky, our planet and space. Many fascinating facts that I will forget. Now I know where to find them.
Spydurpoet
Jul 24, 2008 Spydurpoet rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science and weather addicts.
Very interesting. From skies precipitating fish to rainbows in the fog, this brings out the mystical, magical side of the beauty of life.
Lisa
Jan 18, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite nonfiction books. I read it again, and loved it again. Ahhhh... it just makes my brain feel good.
Jennifer Anderson
Jun 09, 2010 Jennifer Anderson rated it it was amazing
great book on seasons
Mads
Jul 08, 2007 Mads rated it really liked it
Fun read as natural "oddities" are always excellent subjects. Informative too without being technical. Delightful.
Tim Martin
Tim Martin rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2012
Dariane
Dariane rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Jillian
Jillian rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2011
Marty
Marty rated it liked it
May 17, 2008
Haydee
Haydee rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
K Drawdy
K Drawdy rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2010
Cynthia Barnett
Cynthia Barnett rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Matt Nyman
Matt Nyman rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Matt Sides
Matt Sides rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Waleed
Waleed rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Amanda K
Amanda K rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2010