Start by marking “It's Raining Frogs and Fishes: Four Seasons of Natural Phenomena and Oddities of the Sky” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A spellbinding look into the natural world's most fascinating and baffling phenomena, with illustrated explanations of rainbows, meteors, sunsets, hurricanes, the northern lights, and dozens of other curiosities of the sky.
Published August 4th 1993 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about It's Raining Frogs and Fishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Raining Frogs and Fishes

Julia
I enjoyed The Windward Shore: A Winter on the Great Lakes Jerry Dennis, and the title of this 1992 book by him intrigued me. I enjoy scientific non-fiction, and so the subtitle was also interesting.

Certainly this book has many wonderful details, and I smiled when Dennis says, in the introduction: "We've tried to make the book as useful as possible, dividing it by sections into four seasons, so it can be used as a kind of field guide. Hopefully it will anticipate some excellent questions. Perhaps
Patty
Great explanation of so many natural events. As the author intended, you can find the answer to so many questions that you've wondered about.
But I could only read the first section which was about happenings in Spring and then had to put it down and think about it. This is not the lyrical, philosophic Jerry Dennis that I enjoyed in the past but an enjoyable teacher. I intend to read the rest of the seasons as they happen.
Ariel
Feb 24, 2014 Ariel added it
It is fairly infomitive and I look forward to flaunt what I learned at the next picnic I attend.
David Ward
It's Raining Frogs and Fishes: Four Seasons of Natural Phenomena and Oddities From the Sky by Jerry Dennis (Harper Collins 1992)(551.6) is a great book of the natural history of weather and weather-related phenomena. It's full of my kind of trivia. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 4/18/12.
Lee
I love this book! It is giving me all kinds of ideas for cool "air" powers in the next Gaia Girls book. Glenn Wolff's illustrations are amazing. I want posters of them! Thought I would share this as I am back to work on Gaia Girls Air Apparent.
Spydurpoet
Jul 24, 2008 Spydurpoet rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science and weather addicts.
Very interesting. From skies precipitating fish to rainbows in the fog, this brings out the mystical, magical side of the beauty of life.
Lisa
One of my favorite nonfiction books. I read it again, and loved it again. Ahhhh... it just makes my brain feel good.
Mads
Fun read as natural "oddities" are always excellent subjects. Informative too without being technical. Delightful.
Jennifer Anderson
great book on seasons
Lauda
Lauda added it
Jun 07, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Nur
Nur marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Thy
Thy marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
SarahJaneSmith
SarahJaneSmith marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Doug Gordon
Doug Gordon marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Neesha
Neesha marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Matt Beck
Matt Beck marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Living Great Lakes: Searching for the Heart of the Inland Seas The Windward Shore: A Winter on the Great Lakes A Place on the  Water: An Angler's Reflections on Home From a Wooden Canoe: Reflections on Canoeing, Camping, and Classic Equipment The Bird in the Waterfall: A Natural History of Oceans, Rivers and Lakes