Start by marking “The Happy Return” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Happy Return

C.S. Forester

The Happy Return (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #6)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  7,179 Ratings  ·  266 Reviews
Horatio Hornblower sails the south American waters and comes face to face with a mad messianic revolutionary in a story that ripples with risk and gripping adventure. And throughout his escapades, Hornblower remains gallant, resourceful and courageous, the embodiment of all that is most vivid in a great naval tradition.
Audio
Published May 31st 1998 by Chivers Audio Books (first published 1937)

Mike (the Paladin)
I started reading these years ago and still enjoy them. I've recently been trying to fill in gaps in my reading of the story (chronologically speaking). This is the story where Hornblower first meets Lady Barbara.

In the book Hornblower is thrown into an untenable political situation where (again) his lack of self confidence convinces him that his career is ruined (as I said, again).

As always good narration, good plot, good characters. These are excellent books.

Recommended.
Justus
Oct 18, 2010 Justus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long ago I read the first Aubrey Maturin book and absolutely hated it. Easily one of my most hated fiction books of all time. To this day I am baffled at the popularity of the series. Maybe later books are vastly better. Maybe people didn't read them in order. I don't know.

The Hornblower books are one of those things that I've always been vaguely aware of. I had always associated them with bad, mindless best seller pablum. Like a 1930s James Patterson, all action, no nuance. For some reason I ca
Jim
May 23, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Hornblower novel, a bit shorter than some. This one concentrates on the hardship of a long time at sea. What the sailors would put up with is incredible. The food is enough to gag a maggot &, surrounded by water, they barely get enough 'fresh' water (7 months in a cask!) to live. When repairs are needed, the efforts are truly heroic. They empty the ship entirely, refit & fix her as if she were in a refit yard, & sail off in 2 weeks!

Hornblower's navigation is fantastic. T
Jamie Collins
Read this again over the weekend. It's fun and engaging, and a much lighter read than O'Brian, although I've been reading about Jack Aubrey for so long that it's hard to sympathize with Hornblower's insecurities - the way his insecurities make him behave, anyway. He's only redeemed when you see him through Lieutenant Bush's eyes.

Hornblower's internal commentary when he meets Lady Barbara is just awful. An Englishwoman must be unsexed to be in Panama without a male escort. Her disregard for her c
Qt
May 13, 2008 Qt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed "Beat to Quarters" and thought it was a fine sea-adventure tale; I didn't understand most of the nautical terms used so some of the action probably went over my head--however, I never felt lost or completely confused.

I enjoyed the writing style, which was pleasant and easy to read, with plenty of humorous touches. The ocean battles were exciting and dramatic; Hornblower was a good character, and the strategies he uses were interesting and never boring.

Kristian Olesen
The ITV series of Hornblower telemovies arguably constituted one of the high points of my childhood. That's the first point. The second point is that I recently read several installments in Patrick O'Brien's excellent Aubrey-Maturin series, and developed a fondness for the Napoleonic period and all its accoutrements (the Sharpe series is another example of the Napoleonic page-turner). Thirdly, the publication date helpfully informs me that "Beat to Quarters" was copyrighted in 1938, which puts i ...more
Will Todd
Oct 17, 2011 Will Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hornblower
This review is for the complete 11-book series of THE HORNBLOWER SAGA by C.S. Forester, which I just finished reading last night.

[Note: Individual books have individual star ratings (mostly 5-star, a few 4-star), but the descriptive review will be the same for each, and encompass the entire series, as follows.]

Actually, I just finished reading the complete series for the second time, the first being as a teenager some 30 years ago.

It's remarkable to me that I have only just this moment realized
Mike Hankins
Jan 18, 2013 Mike Hankins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: naval
Before there was "Master and Commander," there was Horatio Hornblower. The name might sound goofy to modern ears, but for a few generations, it has been synonymous with high seas adventure in the age of sail. Created in the late 1930s by C. S. Forester, the character has endured a long, successful series of novels and short stories, a feature film starring Gregory Peck, and a series of TV movies starring Ioan Gruffold. It even influenced other pop culture pieces, such as Star Trek. The director ...more
Daniel
May 16, 2011 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore the Hornblower books for their intricate plots; for their chaotic naval engagements that Forester was so very adept at describing; and for their inside look into the twists and turns of the strategic, singular mind that is Horatio Hornblower's. Through his mounting exploits, Hornblower's character achieves heroic proportions. Beneath this stature, however, is a wellspring of doubt, ambition, and anxiety that courses through Hornblower at the onset of crisis. For their sheer weight in sto ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 23, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Fiction
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Kenji
Hornblower was the inspiration for Star Trek's Captain James Kirk, as well as Cornwell's Sharpe. Hornblower is more cerebral and socially awkward than Kirk, more educated and refined than Sharpe. In his own right, Hornblower is certainly an engaging and complex character and the series is an interesting study in leadership, and a fascinating portrait of life at sea in the age of sail. Beat to Quarters (The Happy Return in British editions) is sixth chronologically, but was the first one publishe ...more
Colette
I have never thought about the total allegiance a crew would need to have towards their captain and how the captain would go about establishing such respect.

This book was a little heavy on the 'ship' side for me (descriptions of ship life - running a ship, steering a ship, etc) so I skipped over some pages. Overall it is a good read. For some reason, I really liked the El Supremo character, a crazy, maniac of a leader but kind of fun for me to picture. Maybe my kids should call me "La Suprema".
E
Mar 02, 2017 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I started to read the Horatio Hornblower series. Always been a fan of the Master and Commander series, and knew this was similar. One decision to make is between reading them in the order in which they are set, or the order in which they were written. I chose the less popular route of reading them in the order in which they were written. This means I began in the middle of Hornblower's career, when he is already the captain of his own ship (a frigate, in this case).

This first novel was ver
Septima Severa
Wow, the half of series.
I would never have thought that I ever would hold Beat to Quarters (The Happy Return) in my hands. Is it the passion for naval stories or the passion for English-written books that brought it to me? Could I ever imagine of reading at least some of the H. H. stories? Yes, I could. But I have to admit that my imagination often overtakes my own skills...

It is apparent that Beat to Quarters was written first, maybe because H. H. is not the same as in previous books; and sti
Gale
May 17, 2013 Gale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Strategy, Mayhem and Temptation on the High Seas”

In his 5th novel feathering the swashbuckling adventures of Captain Hornblower, C. S. Forester continues the journey of proud service and personal maturation of his beloved naval hero. As captain of the LYDIA Horatio receives orders from the Admiralty to perform a nearly impossible mission off the coast of Central America. Combining battles of delicate diplomacy with actual maritime engagements he must cope with a mad dictator (think Caligula)
Christopher Ota
Jan 21, 2013 Christopher Ota rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***May contain Spoilers***

"Beat to Quarters" has introduced me to a fantastic character in seaman Horatio Hornblower. The notes on the author claim that Hornblower is one of the most famous English heroes, rivaled only by Sherlock Holmes (and of course, James Bond). This is a marine naval story with fantastic battles between ships, good detail about what it's like to be months or years at sea, and touching aspects to how relationships develop in close quarters. I really enjoyed the straightforwa
Paul Nuthall
Jan 23, 2012 Paul Nuthall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been familiar with Hornblower for years, thanks mainly to the TV films that I never watched, the Gregory Peck movie that I've never seen, and the fact it's listed as one of the inspirations for the original Star Trek series. I wanted to begin it at the beginning; since there are two 'first' books in this series (chronological and publication order) I settled on the order they were written - and I'm glad I did.

The Happy Return ('Beat To Quarters' in the US) is a rollicking action/adventure/r
Lucy Cokes
Jul 01, 2011 Lucy Cokes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from Forester. His first Hornblower book is presented with flair and compassion. Hornblower has never been such a human in the skin of an other-worldly entity – harsh, but only because he needs to succeed, for others, as well as himself – it is after all, his duty: ‘They love him not for anything he does or says, but for what he is.’ (p.212, Bush)
Beneath his lion like front he faces as much insecurity as the next man – the thought of mutilation – or indeed, of hair-loss – makes h
Basicallyrun
Dec 06, 2011 Basicallyrun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-of-sail
I think this is the first Hornblower book Forester wrote (I get mixed up with the US and British titles), and it's definitely a good one. Adventure on the high seas! Derring-do in the face of overwhelming odds! Our hero, tortured by his inner demons! (Wait, isn't that every Hornblower book?) Only thing is, if you read in chronological order, as I've been doing, it's suddenly very odd to have Hornblower being all wary in the face of the unknown, as represented by Bush. Who has been there since Li ...more
Ruth
Mar 10, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished Beat to Quarters last night and if C.S. Forester weren't already dead, I'd kill him. And this is a good thing.

This so-called Book #6 (not book 5 as noted above, by the way) is really the first novel in the Horatio Hornblower series, published in 1937. Forester wrote the other 1-5 stories as prequels (including the last publication, "Hornblower during the Crisis" (Horatio Hornblower Series #4) which is a collection of short stories and is unfinished), as well as books 7-11. I love how
Phil
May 23, 2011 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Ellis
May 27, 2015 Nancy Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was also published as "The Happy Return" in the UK. Hornblower becomes more "real" to us in this book, as Forester devotes quite a bit of time to exploring his thoughts and feelings. It's not until near the end that we finally learn that his children did indeed succumb to smallpox, but we don't know yet how this has affected his wife Maria. He is thrown into turmoil by the arrival on board of Lady Barbara Wellesley, and we are treated to his emotional warfare. Somehow we know Lady Barbara i ...more
Brad
Sep 26, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own, 2015
I was bothered by the inconsistencies between Hornblower as described in Beat to Quarters and the idea of the character I had formed from the previous books (chronologically). It seems Forester wrote the earlier character as the ideal he decided he wanted him to be instead of the character he originally wrote in Beat to Quarters. There are definite similarities but there seems to be a manipulative quality to this Hornblower that was lacking in the previous, later written, ones. It took a while f ...more
Matimate
Oct 07, 2012 Matimate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: navalfiction, 2012
I like Hornblower saga despite:

- hero who is trying to look like really hard man and managed to look like cretin in his inner view, despite the wide social acceptance of his stiff attitude.

- hero who has problems with women...almost virgin type

- hero who is bastard to everybody just because he wanted to be coldblooded captain

- hero who is loved by his crew and having problem with superiors...no exceptions

Hornblower was sent on the mission which was as crazy as it sounds. The enemy of our enemy
Will

I love this book! Anyone who is in love with the great Age of Sail will adore this book and the rest in the series.
Captain Horatio Hornblower locks horns with a Spanish ship-of-the-line and an insane Central American landowner who has been persuaded to revolt against the Spanish Empire by Great Britain. He captures the ship and gives it to his mad ally . . . . . only to find out that Spain has changed sides in the war against Napoleon and is now with England fighting France.
The battle scenes
Tom
Aug 18, 2008 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young people looking for adventure
This is the first Hornblower book written by C.S. Forester although it is the fifth (or sixth) in chronological order.

This is a beautifully written story of a lonely captain of an English warship on duty in South America. Far from his superiors Hornblower bears the responsibility of every decision in dealing with the lunatic El Supremo whom he has been tasked to aid in overthrowing Spanish rule.

Taught battle scenes interspersed with the insanity of El Supremo and the day to day affairs of the Ly
Chet
Mar 24, 2011 Chet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Extremely disappointed that the "hero" is unfaithful to his wife in this otherwise exciting and well-written book. Aside from heroism on the high seas, the author could easily have chosen to uplift us with a tender, heroic love story, but opted for an awkward recurring theme of infidelity. The Hornblower series could be among the greatest adventure novels of all time. Instead, they are just disappointing and uncomfortable to read. Based on their plot summaries, it appears that several books afte ...more
Richard Beasley
Feb 19, 2014 Richard Beasley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the finest books I have ever read.
First Hornblower book. As full of daring-do as any modern day action / historical novel, but with a magnificent standard of writing, a "hero" with introspection and nervousness.
Cannot say more than the perfect historical novel - the standard by which many others aspire and whilst there are many good (I have many!) none are as good as this. You might say it surpasses all in a genre I feel it created
Heidi
Mar 13, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First published book of the Horatio Hornblower series did not disappoint. This Napoleonic War adventure provides plenty of tense drama with detailed battle scenes waged upon the high seas. Barbaric villains, exotic locations, feisty women and a surprisingly complex hero round out this swashbuckling and highly entertaining tale.

Robert
Nov 21, 2016 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-17-season
The first of the Hornblower books to be written and the sixth in the internal chronology, Hornblower is a markedly different fellow - Forester wisely changed him for the better in subsequent volumes. The pride, quick temper, and disloyalty - -both to his family and his subordinates - that Hornblower displays are all distasteful and unbecoming a heroic lead.
Todd Gutschow
Feb 17, 2016 Todd Gutschow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I understand this is the first book "written" in the series...even though it's book 6. It's also been heralded as CS Forester's best work...and I definitely agree. For books of this genre it is best of class.
  • The Letter of Marque (Aubrey/Maturin, #12)
  • Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho, #1)
  • The Life and Times of Horatio Hornblower: A Biography of C. S. Forester's Famous Naval Hero
Cecil Scott Forester was the pen name of Cecil Louis Troughton Smith, an English novelist who rose to fame with tales of adventure and military crusades. His most notable works were the 11-book Horatio Hornblower series, about naval warfare during the Napoleonic era, and The African Queen (1935; filmed in 1951 by John Huston). His novels A Ship of the Line and Flying Colours were jointly awarded t ...more
More about C.S. Forester...

Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #1)
  • Lieutenant Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #2)
  • Hornblower and the Hotspur (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #3)
  • Hornblower During the Crisis (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #4)
  • Hornblower and the Atropos (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #5)
  • Ship of the Line (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #7)
  • Flying Colours (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #8)
  • Commodore Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #9)
  • Lord Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #10)
  • Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #11)

“Hornblower sat down at table; in the seven months' voyage every luxury had long since been consumed. The coffee was a black extract of burnt bread, and all that could be said in its favor was that it was sweet and hot. The burgoo was a savoury mess of unspeakable appearance compounded of mashed biscuit crumbs and minced salt beef.” 0 likes