Blank-133x176
Les Ailes Du Souvenir

Barbara Joosse

Les Ailes Du Souvenir

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Une petite fille évoque le souvenir de sa grand-mère disparue. La métaphore du retour annuel des papillons migrateurs, dans la région du Cercle d'or, au nord du Mexique, induisant le recommencement éternel du cycle de la vie, amène l'enfant à accepter la mort de sa grand-mère.
Published February 1st 2002 by Albin Michel Jeunesse (first published March 1st 2001)

Andrea
This is a wonderful book that will help any child who has had to deal with the loss of a family member to death. It's a tender story about a little girl who learns remembers all the beautiful things that her Grandmother taught her and that even death won't erase those sweet memories.

I also love that this book takes place in Mexico and shows how the Mexican culture deals with death and the loss of loved ones in their special holiday called the Days of the Dead.

I have to be honest. I cried when...more
Sandy Brehl
As Barbara Joosse always does, she has created a powerful story embedded with rich cultural background. I this case it is a young girl's relationship with her grandmother in only a few pages, then unfolds the girl's dealing with stages of grief across several seasons, tying it all together with the science and tradition of Day of the Dead, monarch migration, and loving memories. Back matter includes cultural discussion(with glossary), science details about monarch butterfly migration, and a simp...more
Paula
Beautiful illustrations and a great way to emphasize not only those that are remembered on this holiday, but also how one can think of the ones that are not with us anymore.
While celebrating the Days of the Dead, a young Mexican girl remembers her wonderful grandmother who sang songs, made tortillas, chased monsters away, and loved butterflies.
Megan Rowland
This book tells a story about a little Hispanic girl losing her grandmother. She deals with it by carrying all the memories she has of her. This book is good to read when discussing different cultures.
Kristina Wojtaszek
I have always loved the Mexican legend that the Monarchs carry the souls of loved ones. This is a beautiful rendition of that belief.
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
Janet
Janet added it
Nov 26, 2013
Melike Montplaisir
Melike Montplaisir marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2012
Burhopam
Burhopam marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 22, 2010
Lilianarcastro
Lilianarcastro marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2009
Barbara Joosse has written many books for children. Among them are Mama, Do You Love Me?, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee; and I Love You the Purplest, illustrated by Mary Whyte. She says, "When I was a little girl, I wished for two things — a best friend, and something so ferocious it would scare away the monsters under my bed. And so I have written Lovabye Dragon. I think maybe it’s for little m...more
More about Barbara Joosse...
Mama, Do You Love Me? I Love You the Purplest Lovabye Dragon Papa, Do You Love Me? Please Is a Good Word to Say