The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Herbal medicine is enjoying a much deserved revival with more and more people turning to its safe, natural remedies which are free from harmful side-effects. The most comprehensive and authoritative guide available, this herbal offers clear, step-by-step advice on the use of herbal medicine for the safe treatment of a wide range of complaints. Its unique holistic approach...more
Published April 4th 1996 by Element Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal

Culpeper's Complete Herbal by Nicholas CulpeperHealing Wise by Susun S. WeedA Modern Herbal by Maud GrieveThe Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook by James  GreenPrescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch
Best Herbalism Books
14th out of 57 books — 20 voters
Culpeper's Complete Herbal by Nicholas CulpeperGrow Your Own Drugs by James WongGrow Your Own Drugs by James WongNeal's Yard Remedies Homoeopathy by Neal's Yard RemediesNatural Health And Bodycare by Neal's Yard Remedies
Herbal medicine and home remedies
17th out of 25 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Tiffanie
In my opinion, one of THE herbal books to have on your reference shelf. Accurate, concise description and plenty of illustrations. Great for amateur herbalists to learn what parts of the plant are used and why. **Of course, one should always know what they have before using it to make any remedy so I highly recommend using a field guide for plant identification purposes.
Ruric Amhari
Practical and hands on approach to a herbal this book is divided into 5 main sections:

1. Holistic approach looking at herbs and health and prevention of disease

2. Practical herbalism - good guide to gathering and preparing herbal remedies. Goes into chemistry and action of herbs and has a brief theraputic index (listing ailments and what herbs can be used).

3. Herb index - illustrated with clear and large photos eahc entry briefly describes what the herb is used for, prts used, collection, consti...more
Benjo
I am currently studying Herbal Medicine so this is one of the first purchases I made. I now own a collection of Phytotherapy books and I still turn to 'Holistic Herbal' for simple, clear, easy to read information on herbs and their medicinal properties.

I love how this book is divided up into all of the organ systems, diseases, herbs from A-Z and their chemical constituents and properties. The back of the book contains a quick cross reference guide to each herb, botanical names, parts used, const...more
Bossy Acres
Published back in the 80s, this is still a handy reference for understanding the ins and outs of herbs, how they grow, their benefits, and more. I really like how they cover and focus on a holistic approach to herbal remedies and their impacts on various systems like our circulatory, respiratory, nervous, digestive, muscular, skeletal, and glandular systems.

Nice, east to understand graphics and illustrations, as well. A good one to keep around the house!

-Reviewed by Bossy K
heather utah
very diverse assortment of plants in the reference section - quite thorough and technical. my only issue with this book was the guide to transforming the plants - could be simplified further. if one wants to make oils or balms then there's no need to make a decoction with water then adding oil and simmering the water off. i find this burns the plant material and makes the mix more susceptible to flashing. skipping some of the processes actually makes it easier and less dangerous.
Julia
Actually started using this years ago, but recently became re-acquainted during my big binge of wholistic health this summer. Makes herbal medicine exceedingly accessible and appealing. I won't lie: sometimes this is my bedtime reading, like the hippie's DSM or something.
Wisdom Web Networking
This is a great book for finding specific treatment for your own personal needs. It simply lists out the name of the herb and which part of your body it heals. This is a great reference book for a beginner wanting to learn more about medicinal uses of herbs.
Sharon E.
Just keep going back to this one b/c it describes in detail how to make your own herbal preparations. Hoffmann gives easy to understand, illustrated instructions and plant identification illustrations that help to demystify a scientific subject.
Debbie Vanover
One of my faves

veggloverherbaltraditions.wordpress.com
feedmeveggies.blogspot.com
theherbnjungle.blogspot.com
Awesome book. My reference for most if remedies that I have used since pregnancy on....
Priscilla
This is one of the most comprehensive books on herbal medicine that I have found.
Mandi
This was bought for me by my herbalist. Great stuff!
Truth Devour
Good reference book.
Sonjastone
Sonjastone marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kristie Houston
Kristie Houston marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
David Kuhn
David Kuhn marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Alma
Alma marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Alykay Evans
Alykay Evans marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
rebecca
rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Heather Williams
Heather Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Victoria Avonlea
Victoria Avonlea marked it as to-read
Caitlin Jarvis
Caitlin Jarvis marked it as to-read
Mel Meli
Mel Meli marked it as to-read
Carly Pelaez
Carly Pelaez marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • A Modern Herbal
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Way of Herbs
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • The Complete Medicinal Herbal
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • The Fragrant Mind: Aromatherapy for Personality, Mind, Mood and Emotion
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine
  • Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality
  • The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs
David Hoffmann is a member of Britain’s National Institute of Medical Herbalists. He has taught phytotherapy throughout the English-speaking world through his course, Therapeutic Herbalism. His numerous books nave been translated into at least eight languages and are basic references for both beginning and advanced students.

David Hoffmann has been a clinical phytotherapist for almost 20 years. He...more
More about David Hoffmann...
Medical Herbalism: The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine The Herbal Handbook: A User's Guide to Medical Herbalism An Elders' Herbal: Natural Techniques For Promoting Health & Vitality An Herbal Guide to Stress Relief: Gentle Remedies and Techniques for Healing and Calming the Nervous System The Complete Illustrated Herbal