Start by marking “The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies” as Want to Read:

Herbal medicine is enjoying a much deserved revival with more and more people turning to its safe, natural remedies which are free from harmful side-effects. The most comprehensive and authoritative guide available, this herbal offers clear, step-by-step advice on the use of herbal medicine for the safe treatment of a wide range of complaints. Its unique holistic approach ...more
Published April 4th 1996 by Element Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal

Tiffanie
May 30, 2011 Tiffanie rated it really liked it
In my opinion, one of THE herbal books to have on your reference shelf. Accurate, concise description and plenty of illustrations. Great for amateur herbalists to learn what parts of the plant are used and why. **Of course, one should always know what they have before using it to make any remedy so I highly recommend using a field guide for plant identification purposes.
Samantha Davidson (Mirror Bridge Books)
This is a great book for finding specific treatment for your own personal needs. It simply lists out the name of the herb and which part of your body it heals. This is a great reference book for a beginner wanting to learn more about medicinal uses of herbs.
Benjo
Jan 01, 2013 Benjo rated it it was amazing
I am currently studying Herbal Medicine so this is one of the first purchases I made. I now own a collection of Phytotherapy books and I still turn to 'Holistic Herbal' for simple, clear, easy to read information on herbs and their medicinal properties.

I love how this book is divided up into all of the organ systems, diseases, herbs from A-Z and their chemical constituents and properties. The back of the book contains a quick cross reference guide to each herb, botanical names, parts used, const
Ruric Amhari
Practical and hands on approach to a herbal this book is divided into 5 main sections:

1. Holistic approach looking at herbs and health and prevention of disease

2. Practical herbalism - good guide to gathering and preparing herbal remedies. Goes into chemistry and action of herbs and has a brief theraputic index (listing ailments and what herbs can be used).

3. Herb index - illustrated with clear and large photos eahc entry briefly describes what the herb is used for, prts used, collection, consti
heather utah
May 07, 2013 heather utah rated it really liked it
very diverse assortment of plants in the reference section - quite thorough and technical. my only issue with this book was the guide to transforming the plants - could be simplified further. if one wants to make oils or balms then there's no need to make a decoction with water then adding oil and simmering the water off. i find this burns the plant material and makes the mix more susceptible to flashing. skipping some of the processes actually makes it easier and less dangerous.
Bossy Acres
Nov 10, 2012 Bossy Acres rated it it was amazing
Published back in the 80s, this is still a handy reference for understanding the ins and outs of herbs, how they grow, their benefits, and more. I really like how they cover and focus on a holistic approach to herbal remedies and their impacts on various systems like our circulatory, respiratory, nervous, digestive, muscular, skeletal, and glandular systems.

Nice, east to understand graphics and illustrations, as well. A good one to keep around the house!

-Reviewed by Bossy K
Julia
Sep 01, 2009 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually started using this years ago, but recently became re-acquainted during my big binge of wholistic health this summer. Makes herbal medicine exceedingly accessible and appealing. I won't lie: sometimes this is my bedtime reading, like the hippie's DSM or something.
Sharon E.
Feb 18, 2008 Sharon E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just keep going back to this one b/c it describes in detail how to make your own herbal preparations. Hoffmann gives easy to understand, illustrated instructions and plant identification illustrations that help to demystify a scientific subject.
Val
Jan 03, 2016 Val rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I do use this book, but not as much as I thought I would. This is mainly because when I am feeling unwell I can't be bothered with the time it takes to gather and prepare the remedies.
Debbie Vanover
One of my faves

veggloverherbaltraditions.wordpress.com
feedmeveggies.blogspot.com
theherbnjungle.blogspot.com
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Susan Humeston
Susan Humeston rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2008
شريف العجمي
شريف العجمي rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Joyo Sampurno
Joyo Sampurno rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2012
Tina Campbell
Tina Campbell rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Donna Kowalski
Donna Kowalski rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Hydrangea Noway
Hydrangea Noway rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
Georgina Holt
Georgina Holt rated it really liked it
May 27, 2013
Gramarye
Gramarye rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Arnold Frimpong
Arnold Frimpong rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
JennyS
JennyS rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
Heather Lanham
Heather Lanham rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
amanda
amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2007
shelly gorham
shelly gorham rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Karie Gregory
Karie Gregory rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Nichole Hairstom
Nichole Hairstom rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2016
Barbara Scheltus
Barbara Scheltus rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • Complete Medicinal Herbal
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • Hygieia: A Woman's Herbal
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • Growing 101 Herbs That Heal: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies
  • Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief
Librarian note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name

David Hoffmann is a member of Britain’s National Institute of Medical Herbalists. He has taught phytotherapy throughout the English-speaking world through his course, Therapeutic Herbalism. His numerous books nave been translated into at least eight languages and are basic references for both beginning and advanc
More about David Hoffmann...