Start by marking “The Conference of the Birds” as Want to Read:
The Conference of the Birds

The Conference of the Birds

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published September 16th 2012 by Wisdom Tales

To ask other readers questions about The Conference of the Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conference of the Birds

Nan
Nov 05, 2014 Nan added it
This is a beautifully illustrated and unsophisticated version of the philosophical religious poem based on a thirteenth century Sufi parable by Attar and re- written for young people. I could not get through the stuffy translation I've had for years, and always wondered just what this book is about. Ms Lumbard extracts the essence of the book and creates a poetic tale of beauty and truth. What a lovely way to get across to youngsters (and, in fact, anyone) to look inside to find their true selve ...more
Nadia
The Conference of the Birds Retold by Alexis York Lumbard Illustrated by Demi

This is a beautiful children’s book of faith and belief. A work of Persian Sufi poetry that is said to be "the most outstanding of these works is the Mantiq al-Tayr (translated usually as The Conference of the Birds) by Farid al-Din Attar, the 12th century Persian Poet who is one of the greatest figures in the history of Sufi poetry..."
My son was engrossed in the story and asked questions about a lot of the lessons. He
Vidya Tiru
Retold by Alexis York Lumbard, illustrated by Demi,
Wisdom Tales,
44 pages
Bright, colorful, detailed illustrations of the birds provide a vibrant setting for this retelling of Mantiq al-Tayr (translated as ‘The Conference of the Birds’), a Persian book of poems by Farid ud-Din Attar.
The birds have all gathered in despair – they do not have a leader to guide them. The wise hoopoe informs them of a king and inspires them to join her on a quest to meet the king. Through their journey, they discover a
Drjou
I read this book with my dad, and we both really felt moved by it. In an age of media saturation, there is very little that takes deep spiritual lessons and conveys them through beauty in a way that resonates regardless of one's age or creed. I hope that the author produces more books like this and that others will be inspired by them and inspired to follow her lead in their own creative and spiritual pursuits.
Norziati
Apa yang boleh dikatakan tentang The Conference of the Birds karya Fariduddin Attar ini? Meski pun ini versi kanak-kanak, kearifan bahasanya tetap terjaga bagi memastikan makna dapat dihantarkan dengan jelas. Gambar yang dilukis sedikit sebanyak dapat menggambarkan keadaan burung-burung yang berusaha mencari Raja Simorgh, yang kemudian menemui diri mereka pada akhirnya. The Conference of the Birds atau Musyawarah Burung, sebuah karya sufistik yang kekal dibaca dan dikaji, seharum wangian attar p ...more
Paul  Hankins
Some philosophical and religious themes within this gorgeous adaptation. The borders of each illustration are the birds depicted within this tale that serves as a path to deeper understanding and enlightenment.
Heidi
The minute I realized this book was illustrated by Demi, I knew it would be beautiful. And it is, very much so. I loved looking at the beautiful drawings/paintings, the rich colors with the intricate borders are typical Demi. What amazed me about this was the detail. On the borders of drawing Demi shows the movements of a particular kind of bird. The time and effort this must have taken in learning how birds move and fly. Her illustrations are always so delicate looking, yet stunning, I almost w ...more
Wajida
My family and I read this book together as soon as our copy arrived. Between the four of us- ages 52, 48, 22 and 17- we were all deeply moved and left with wonder by the end. The illustrations and the text complemented each other perfectly, with majesty, profundity and simplicity. Alexis York Lumbard has not only truly grasped the essence of Attar's timeless poem, she has provided parents and teachers a fantastic way of teaching its universal spiritual values to children. Coupled with Demi's bre ...more
David
I'm ambivalent, for this should be rated 5 stars as a parable for young children, read to by parents or teachers, with excellent appealing colored illustrations by Demi. Yet it almost totally lacks the moral, ethical, inner feeling that must be in the 13th century original by Attar, and thus should be rated as 3 stars. Consequently the compromise is 4 stars. Reading the forty pages is easy and charming, the setting is fine, yet this "retelling" seems to lack the message to have faith and courage ...more
Robynn
A very different telling of this epic poem. Demi's luscious drawings and Seyyed's delicate poetry tell the story of the birds journey to find the great king.

Peter Sis' version is worth comparing.
Zoya
I was planning to read Farid Attar's The Conference of the Birds, but looking at the various edition saw this one and couldn't resist getting it for my bird-loving six-year-old. It turned out to be a very timely and poignant read as our family is about to embark on a long journey, which I suspect will be very challenging emotionally and will change all of us. Hopefully the lessons raised in this parable will help as to recognize our own limitations, to face obstacles and to be kind and helpful t ...more
Mas'ud Khan
What a wonderfully abridged and illustrated edition of this classic text of Islamic spirituality. This book can be enjoyed by both children and adults and an ideal book to read together with your children. It is one of those books that your can read and re-read without it ever getting boring or tired.

A must for every Muslim household and bibliophiles everywhere!
Samer Hamad
This is indeed a beautiful work of art; expertly crafted with concise wording, a deeper meaning, gorgeous illustration, and a great poem to build off of.

This book is easily enjoyed by children and the adults reading it to them, or just as a quick read for adults. There is some beautiful meanings to be extracted from it.
Melissa
In order to complete a difficult journey, the duck must not procrastinate, the parrot must give up his heavy jewels, the finch must be courageous despite its small size, the partridge must not be impatient, and the hawk must let go of his need to finish first.
Beth
This book was not at all what I expected. It was very sweet, and I loved the message. I know a lot of people at our library that would enjoy this book. (I won this books as a giveaway on Goodreads.)
Dina Kaidir
Wonderfully illustrated...and what a journey! I read this to my children when they were younger and they were so delighted (even now at 21 and 16) to see this in pictures :)
Jacqueline
Illustrations are simply stunning. The retelling is thoughtful and moving. Inspirational offering that would make a wonderful gift for people of all faiths and ages.
Laura Phelps
Gorgeously illustrated by Demi, this is a modern, shortened and simplified translation of a 12th century Sufi parable. Beautiful in both text and illustration!
Sara Kamibayashi
A simple, beautiful retelling of an ancient story. The illustrations are lovely as well, though this comes as no surprise when Demi is the illustrator.
Davoud Taghavi
Loved it. Not sure what I was more enchanted by: the art or the spiritual journey it narrates
Claire
Borrowed this not realizing that it was a religious lesson. Meh.
Diana
The illustrations were spectacular.
Mckinley
Nicely done
PWRL
Apr 24, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Fatima Hassanien
Fatima Hassanien marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Abdo
Abdo marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
  • The Tooth Mouse
  • Naamah and the Ark at Night
  • I Need My Own Country!
  • Brother Sun, Sister Moon: Saint Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Creatures
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • Big Mean Mike
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • Raindrops Roll
  • Return of the Library Dragon
  • Who's on First?
Seyyed Hossein Nasr was born on April 7, 1933 (19 Farvadin 1312 A.H. solar) in Tehran into a family of distinguished scholars and physicians. His father, Seyyed Valiallah, a man of great learning and piety, was a physician to the Iranian royal family, as was his father before him. The name "Nasr" which means "victory" was conferred on Professor Nasr's grandfather by the King of Persia. Nasr also c ...more
More about Seyyed Hossein Nasr...
The Heart of Islam: Enduring Values for Humanity The Garden of Truth: The Vision and Promise of Sufism, Islam's Mystical Tradition Islam: Religion, History, and Civilization A Young Muslim's Guide to the Modern World Man and Nature: The Spiritual Crisis in Modern Man

“He's the King of all the heavens
And all found here below.
To Him, your hearts are like this lake
Reflecting in His glow.”
0 likes
“Soar on to the King, the crown jewel,
And then you'll truly see
That nothing is as beautiful
As His grand Majesty.”