Start by marking “The Conference of the Birds” as Want to Read:
The Conference of the Birds

The Conference of the Birds

Late one moonless night in a far corner of the world there gathered a large flock of birds. They gathered in sorrow, since they had been, for so very long, deprived of a king.

Thus begins the magical adventure of these wayfaring birds. With encouragement from their wise guide, the hoopoe bird, they overcome fears, physical handicaps, and their own inner weakness in order to
Published September 16th 2012 by Wisdom Tales

To ask other readers questions about The Conference of the Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conference of the Birds

Nan
Aug 13, 2012 Nan added it
This is a beautifully illustrated and unsophisticated version of the philosophical religious poem based on a thirteenth century Sufi parable by Attar and re- written for young people. I could not get through the stuffy translation I've had for years, and always wondered just what this book is about. Ms Lumbard extracts the essence of the book and creates a poetic tale of beauty and truth. What a lovely way to get across to youngsters (and, in fact, anyone) to look inside to find their true selve ...more
Vidya Tiru
Nov 19, 2012 Vidya Tiru rated it it was amazing
Retold by Alexis York Lumbard, illustrated by Demi,
Wisdom Tales,
44 pages
Bright, colorful, detailed illustrations of the birds provide a vibrant setting for this retelling of Mantiq al-Tayr (translated as ‘The Conference of the Birds’), a Persian book of poems by Farid ud-Din Attar.
The birds have all gathered in despair – they do not have a leader to guide them. The wise hoopoe informs them of a king and inspires them to join her on a quest to meet the king. Through their journey, they discover a
Nadia
Dec 18, 2012 Nadia rated it it was amazing
The Conference of the Birds Retold by Alexis York Lumbard Illustrated by Demi

This is a beautiful children’s book of faith and belief. A work of Persian Sufi poetry that is said to be "the most outstanding of these works is the Mantiq al-Tayr (translated usually as The Conference of the Birds) by Farid al-Din Attar, the 12th century Persian Poet who is one of the greatest figures in the history of Sufi poetry..."
My son was engrossed in the story and asked questions about a lot of the lessons. He
Drjou
Aug 23, 2012 Drjou rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my dad, and we both really felt moved by it. In an age of media saturation, there is very little that takes deep spiritual lessons and conveys them through beauty in a way that resonates regardless of one's age or creed. I hope that the author produces more books like this and that others will be inspired by them and inspired to follow her lead in their own creative and spiritual pursuits.
Paul  Hankins
Some philosophical and religious themes within this gorgeous adaptation. The borders of each illustration are the birds depicted within this tale that serves as a path to deeper understanding and enlightenment.
Heidi
The minute I realized this book was illustrated by Demi, I knew it would be beautiful. And it is, very much so. I loved looking at the beautiful drawings/paintings, the rich colors with the intricate borders are typical Demi. What amazed me about this was the detail. On the borders of drawing Demi shows the movements of a particular kind of bird. The time and effort this must have taken in learning how birds move and fly. Her illustrations are always so delicate looking, yet stunning, I almost w ...more
Wajida
Dec 23, 2012 Wajida rated it it was amazing
My family and I read this book together as soon as our copy arrived. Between the four of us- ages 52, 48, 22 and 17- we were all deeply moved and left with wonder by the end. The illustrations and the text complemented each other perfectly, with majesty, profundity and simplicity. Alexis York Lumbard has not only truly grasped the essence of Attar's timeless poem, she has provided parents and teachers a fantastic way of teaching its universal spiritual values to children. Coupled with Demi's bre ...more
David
Dec 26, 2013 David rated it really liked it
I'm ambivalent, for this should be rated 5 stars as a parable for young children, read to by parents or teachers, with excellent appealing colored illustrations by Demi. Yet it almost totally lacks the moral, ethical, inner feeling that must be in the 13th century original by Attar, and thus should be rated as 3 stars. Consequently the compromise is 4 stars. Reading the forty pages is easy and charming, the setting is fine, yet this "retelling" seems to lack the message to have faith and courage ...more
Zoya
Aug 04, 2013 Zoya rated it really liked it
I was planning to read Farid Attar's The Conference of the Birds, but looking at the various edition saw this one and couldn't resist getting it for my bird-loving six-year-old. It turned out to be a very timely and poignant read as our family is about to embark on a long journey, which I suspect will be very challenging emotionally and will change all of us. Hopefully the lessons raised in this parable will help as to recognize our own limitations, to face obstacles and to be kind and helpful t ...more
Norziati
Aug 05, 2014 Norziati rated it it was amazing
Apa yang boleh dikatakan tentang The Conference of the Birds karya Fariduddin Attar ini? Meski pun ini versi kanak-kanak, kearifan bahasanya tetap terjaga bagi memastikan makna dapat dihantarkan dengan jelas. Gambar yang dilukis sedikit sebanyak dapat menggambarkan keadaan burung-burung yang berusaha mencari Raja Simorgh, yang kemudian menemui diri mereka pada akhirnya. The Conference of the Birds atau Musyawarah Burung, sebuah karya sufistik yang kekal dibaca dan dikaji, seharum wangian attar p ...more
Samer Hamad
Nov 28, 2013 Samer Hamad rated it it was amazing
This is indeed a beautiful work of art; expertly crafted with concise wording, a deeper meaning, gorgeous illustration, and a great poem to build off of.

This book is easily enjoyed by children and the adults reading it to them, or just as a quick read for adults. There is some beautiful meanings to be extracted from it.
Mas'ud Khan
Mar 15, 2013 Mas'ud Khan rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully abridged and illustrated edition of this classic text of Islamic spirituality. This book can be enjoyed by both children and adults and an ideal book to read together with your children. It is one of those books that your can read and re-read without it ever getting boring or tired.

A must for every Muslim household and bibliophiles everywhere!
Melissa
In order to complete a difficult journey, the duck must not procrastinate, the parrot must give up his heavy jewels, the finch must be courageous despite its small size, the partridge must not be impatient, and the hawk must let go of his need to finish first.
Robynn
Dec 07, 2014 Robynn rated it really liked it
A very different telling of this epic poem. Demi's luscious drawings and Seyyed's delicate poetry tell the story of the birds journey to find the great king.

Peter Sis' version is worth comparing.
Beth
Sep 14, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
This book was not at all what I expected. It was very sweet, and I loved the message. I know a lot of people at our library that would enjoy this book. (I won this books as a giveaway on Goodreads.)
Elizabeth
This book does a good job of what it sets out to do. I'm not in love with the story, but I can appreciate it for what it is.
Sara
Nov 21, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
A simple, beautiful retelling of an ancient story. The illustrations are lovely as well, though this comes as no surprise when Demi is the illustrator.
Laura Phelps
Sep 24, 2012 Laura Phelps rated it really liked it
Shelves: possiblemsba2012
Gorgeously illustrated by Demi, this is a modern, shortened and simplified translation of a 12th century Sufi parable. Beautiful in both text and illustration!
Jacqueline
Sep 15, 2012 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Illustrations are simply stunning. The retelling is thoughtful and moving. Inspirational offering that would make a wonderful gift for people of all faiths and ages.
Dina Kaidir Elsouly
Dec 17, 2013 Dina Kaidir Elsouly rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully illustrated...and what a journey! I read this to my children when they were younger and they were so delighted (even now at 21 and 16) to see this in pictures :)
Fatos
Fatos rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
小青 廖
小青 廖 rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Alhassanain
Alhassanain rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2017
Ilib4kids
May 13, 2013 Ilib4kids rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
E LUMBARD
Davoud Taghavi
Jun 08, 2013 Davoud Taghavi rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Not sure what I was more enchanted by: the art or the spiritual journey it narrates
Diana
Diana rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2013
Wayfarer
Wayfarer rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Amalia Hillmann
Amalia Hillmann rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2017
Smurf
Smurf rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
  • Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team
  • Big Mean Mike
  • Return of the Library Dragon
  • Millie Fierce
  • Dog Finds Lost Dolphins: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Heroes (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Freedom Song: The Story of Henry "Box" Brown

Alexis York Lumbard is an American Muslim children’s book writer whose debut picture book, The Conference of the Birds with illustrations by renowned artist Demi (Wisdom Tales Press, Sept. 2012), is a contemporary retelling of the classic Islamic work by the 13th century poet Farid ad-Din Attar. A metaphor for our journey to Allah, the book follows a flock of birds as they venture to meet a long d
More about Alexis York Lumbard...

“Soar on to the King, the crown jewel,
And then you'll truly see
That nothing is as beautiful
As His grand Majesty.”
1 likes
“He's the King of all the heavens
And all found here below.
To Him, your hearts are like this lake
Reflecting in His glow.”