Start by marking “Phaedra's Love” as Want to Read:
Phaedra's Love

Phaedra's Love

First single volume edition of this bold version of a classic by Sarah Kane

Sarah Kane's radical reworking of Seneca's classical tragedy of incest and unrequited lust. Phaedra's Love is a bold and provocative revisioning of the story of Phaedra's obsessive and destructive love of her son Hippolytus and his violent punishment by Theseus.
Published January 24th 2002 by Bloomsbury Methuen Drama (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Phaedra's Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phaedra's Love

Chelsea
Feb 28, 2016 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, plays
Woman 2 cuts off his genitals.
They are thrown onto the barbecue.
The children cheer.
Ana Mănescu
Feb 13, 2016 Ana Mănescu rated it it was amazing
Cronica pieselor sale: http://societatesicultura.ro/2013/02/...

Fragmente despre Phaedra's Love:

[...] accentul pus pe cruzimea celui care deține puterea față de inferiorii săi [...] în Phaedra’s Love, slăbiciunea Phaedrei vine dintr-o dragoste profundă pentru Hippolythus, fiul ei vitreg. După ce acesta își bate joc de ea, Phaedra se sinucide, stârnind o reacție în lanț în sânul familiei regale și, implicit, în rândul poporului în fruntea căruia se aflau membrii ei. [...] Pe lângă preocuparea morț
Becky Jones
Eh, Hippolytus ce ești.
Phillip
May 02, 2016 Phillip rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
This is definitely one of the more distinct Hippolytus/Phaedra adaptations I've read, filtered through Kane's In-Yer-Face aesthetic. This adaptation completely re-imagines Hippolytus, making him a fat, disgusting, asshole, who has sex continually even though he gets no pleasure from it. While Phaedra is much the same as in previous versions--in love with Hippolytus even though she recognizes that it is wrong--she does give him oral sex in this version. Ultimately, though, this is a very differen ...more
Shay
Jan 08, 2016 Shay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
Disgusting, but of course that's the point. Fascinating update on Seneca's play- with Kane focusing on these doomed characters, and how they ruin and spoil everything they touch.

(TW rape/violence)
Ruby
Jun 22, 2011 Ruby rated it really liked it
Shelves: play, 2011
Sex, murder, death, lies, truth, rape, suicide, church, prison, love, hate, family, royalty. All that in forty pages and I feel slightly overwhelmed.
Alexandra
Dec 29, 2015 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Gratuitous, shocking and unsettling - the trademark signatures of Kane's work. A very interesting reinterpretation of the Phaedra story, one filled with unsympathetic characters living in a world bereft and contemptuous of love, but equally desperate for it. There are very intriguing questions raised about violence, desensitisation and monarchy within the pages of this play, and though it may be a mind-boggling endeavour to stage such a play (as Sarah Kane's work often is), it would no doubt be ...more
Despoina
Jan 28, 2016 Despoina rated it really liked it
George R. R. Martin's got nothing on Sarah Kane! Hilariously disturbing.
Munro
Aug 27, 2015 Munro rated it really liked it
I can't say what exactly made me like this play so much, but I really enjoyed it. Perhaps it was the lack of censorship, perhaps the honesty, perhaps the characters...

When I finished reading it, I felt like I was suddenly missing something. It was almost a hollowness in my chest. I felt sad for the people in the play- moreover, I felt sad for the world. Because things like this do happen. People die. People misinterpret words and feelings. People lie. People love, or don't love.

Yet again, Kane h
Tony Poerio
Jun 29, 2016 Tony Poerio rated it liked it
I think this is a better play than Blasted, from a literary/theatrical standpoint. But it's not quite as dark (which is relative, because this is really pitch-black depths of hell dark), and didn't affect me as deeply.
Kayley
Sep 26, 2016 Kayley rated it liked it
Sarah Kane is known for having twisted ideas and freaky story lines. This play is no exception. It has a provoking message like Lord of the Flies. Overall, this play will leave you thinking WTF?!
Anne Lee
Jul 24, 2015 Anne Lee rated it really liked it
Jived with instincts I had about Phaedra as an archetypal figure and actually echoed something I played with in a poem years ago. Very effective.
Genlyai
Dec 02, 2014 Genlyai rated it liked it
'A vulture descends and begins to eat his body'; the most audacious stage direction since 'Exit, pursued by a bear'.
Tamara
Aug 21, 2015 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays, 20thc
Hilarious, messed-up. What does it mean that I loved Hippolytus?
Evan
Jul 01, 2015 Evan rated it really liked it
Frankly that first bj scene I find fucking HAWT.
Andreea H
Jan 21, 2016 Andreea H rated it really liked it
Just... wow.
Juliet
Oct 05, 2015 Juliet rated it it was ok
I really liked Phaedra and it was an interesting play. Waaay too graphic though and grossed me out at times.
Nickie
Aug 26, 2008 Nickie rated it liked it
"There's nothing gay about Hippolytus"

Quite amusing, very 90s, very short (although plays always feel v short to read) contemporary reworking of the tale of Phaedra's doomed love for her step-son Hippolytus
Nora
Sep 23, 2007 Nora rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, theatre people
This is a haunting, modern adaptation of a classic story. Kane probes the darkest aspects of this story in her signature style. Not for the faint of heart, but a brilliant and moving piece of theatre.
Ceilidh
This is the play Kane referred to as her comedy. Great piece of work but I'm pretty certain she was being facetious when she said that.
Jasmine
May 07, 2011 Jasmine rated it it was ok
Funny, smart, interesting, but just....I can't. I couldn't go to sleep after reading this.
Claude
Feb 14, 2013 Claude rated it did not like it
Is this play so incredibly crap because I read it rather than saw it performed?
Kaleigh
May 26, 2012 Kaleigh rated it it was ok
Shelves: theatre-plays
My complaints with this: It's a very, very difficult play to stage.
Cristina
review later.

grade: B+
Tanya
Jul 06, 2009 Tanya rated it did not like it
A very disturbing play coming from a very twisted mind. A spin on the classic Phaedra tale.
Hannah Louise Moran
  • Uncommon Women and Others
  • subUrbia
  • Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune
  • 365 Days/365 Plays
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
  • Fefu and Her Friends
  • The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Sarah Kane was an English playwright. Her plays deal with themes of redemptive love, sexual desire, pain, torture—both physical and psychological—and death. They are characterised by a poetic intensity, pared-down language, exploration of theatrical form, and, in her earlier work, the use of stylized violent stage action. Kane's life was brought to a premature end when she committed suicide at Lon ...more
More about Sarah Kane...

“Phaedra: I wanted to see your face when you came.
Hippolytus: Why?
Phaedra: I'd like to see you lose yourself.
Hippolytus: It's not a pleasant sight.
Phaedra: Why, what do you look like?
Hippolytus: Every other stupid fucker.”
4 likes
“Hippolytus: Do you believe in God?
Priest: (Looks at him.)
Hippolytus: I know what I am. And always will be. But you. You sin knowing you'll confess. Then you're forgiven. And then you start all over again.
How do you dare mock a God so powerful? Unless you don't really believe.
Priest: This is your confession, not mine.
Hippolytus: Then why are you on your knees? God certainly is merciful. If I were him I'd despise you. I'd wipe you off the face of the earth for your dishonesty.
Priest: You're not God.
Hippolytus: No. A prince. God on earth. But not God. Fortunate for all concerned. I'd not allow you to sin knowing you'd confess and get away with it.
Priest: Heaven would be empty.
Hippolytus: A kingdom of honest men, honestly sinning. And death for those who try to cover their arse.”
4 likes