Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  3,167 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
This volume includes:

Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective and The Case of the Secret Pitch – two collections of mysteries that Encyclopedia Brown must solve by using his famous computerlike brain.

A cross-eyed baseball pitch...

A kid-lover tumed kidnapper...

A watermelon stabbing...

A trapeze artist's inheritance...

These are just some of the brain-twisters included. Try to crack

Published April 17th 2000 by Yearling (first published 1965)

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickHaunted by Charity TinninClockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Books With Boys on Cover
83rd out of 259 books — 29 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenAlice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëYüzük Kardeşliği by J.R.R. Tolkien
BEST FICTION BOOKS EVER!!
18th out of 45 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

April
I'm reading this aloud to my freshman.

[gushy love song follows:]

"Time to practice your deductive reasoning skills," I announce, and they all sit up straight, close their mouths, and fix their eyes on me.

It's the only time during the period when I don't have to wait for silence, the only time I don't have to remind them to be civil, the only time I've got every single student focusing on the same objective.

NOBODY sleeps through Encyclopedia Brown. Nobody interrupts, nobody stares out the window,
Ruth Sophia
Jan 04, 2016 Ruth Sophia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Forgot How Fun These Are!

Encyclopedia Brown is NOT your typical child detective. No Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys type of story here! Each short chapter provides all the needed information for Encyclopedia (and the reader) to solve the mystery. The solution to every case is provided in the back of the book.

What is great about these is that it teaches children to think through scenarios using known information to figure out the missing piece of the puzzle. As an adult I didn't have trouble catching
Steven R. McEvoy
Jan 19, 2016 Steven R. McEvoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This was the second Encyclopedia Brown book That I have given a read. In some ways it is interesting reading these books and also the Hard Boys Books with my son currently. I first picked up a book in this series because Barry Lyga made mention of it on his blog. These are fun reads, especially waiting for meetings to start at work. And with almost 30 books in the series it will provide a lot of entertainment.

Leroy Brown known to everyone around town as Encyclopedia Brown, born is a ten year ol
Dylan
Jan 12, 2011 Dylan rated it it was amazing
This book is about Encylopedia brown. a yong boy who knows everything about anything and how he solves crimes. My favorite one is with the tigers secret shooting range.
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
reread on 2/22/10 and upgraded from three stars to five stars
Dolly
Mar 08, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
Book #2 in the Encyclopedia Brown series of books by Donald J. Sobol. We borrowed books 1 and 2 on the recommendation of another parent. I remember reading them as a child and loving trying to figure out the mysteries, so I was eager to share them with our girls. They liked them, but I don't think they're quite ready. Our oldest figured one of them out, and understood most of the others, once I read the solution, but a few of them went over her head. And our youngest just wasn't interested at al ...more
Stacey
Jul 01, 2009 Stacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: boys-books
Eli had his first boys book club today. 2 other boys from his class came over. After letting them run around, we came in and had some popcorn and gingerale ice cubes (they were in one of the mysteries) and Kool-aid. The book discussion was light, but the boys had a surprising amount to say about the book, and knew so many of the details. They colored in some bookplates, made bookmarks and then we played kickball. I had planned on having some water balloon games, but Emma tripped with the whole c ...more
Jessica
Like the first book in the series, this was a set of fun and simple mysteries to solve. For some reason, I had more problems with some of the missing logic in this book's solutions (view spoiler). But again, for a kid's introduction to deduction and mysteries, these books are great.

One th
Tonileg
Apr 10, 2015 Tonileg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I really love the mysteries in this series because they are practical (Encyclopedia doesn't want to get punched in the belly) as well as super difficult (for all ages from 8 to 80 year old!). I only guessed right in about half which wasn't the same stories that my children guessed because our skill sets are clearly varied. My favorite story was 'The case of the Hungry Hitchhiker' which started a wonderful conversation with my innocent children about the dangerous of Hitchhiking and the fact that ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Julesmarie
Every bit as fun as the first book! Leroy (Encyclopedia) continues to be a delightful main character, the mysteries continue to be entertaining, and the side characters are still fun and funny.

My favorite thing is still that the solutions to the mysteries are at the end of the book so they can't be accidentally spoiled. Very clever!
Richard Ward
Jan 17, 2016 Richard Ward rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids, mostly, but also adults who like books for kids.
More short stories starring the boy detective in small town 1960's America. The kid protagonist is relatable, lovable, and heroic, and it's him you'll remember more than the stories. As a kid I loved trying to figure out each mystery ahead of Encyclopedia Brown, and I loved learning and using deductive reasoning on a kid level. Encyclopedia Brown might be the #1 reason I'm a reader of mystery novels even today, and one of the reasons I'm a reader in general. As a kid I didn't notice the setting, ...more
Kristin
Feb 17, 2016 Kristin rated it liked it
I haven't read these books since I was a kid and it was a (generally) nice trip down memory lane to read another one. It's fun to figure out the mysteries with Encyclopedia.

However, these books are certainly a product of their time--and not always in a good way. After (re)reading two of the books in the last few days, I noticed any time a child stole from another child, the child doing the stealing was described with clues to let you know they were poor (pants too short, lawn filled with junk,
Mary Havens
Oct 04, 2015 Mary Havens rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-children
The kids gave this 5 stars but I think they were punch-drunk from lack of sleep on this birthday weekend.

Ugh. So, this was written in 1965 but I've read older things (hello Wizard of Oz and Little House in the Big Woods) that had less time specific vernacular than this. It was like putting itching powder in the daily wash! (one of these anachronisms).

I get that the cases are supposed to be hard for 3rd-6th graders but they were dumb. And not just easy dumb, but dumb. I used to really enjoy Ency
James
Feb 01, 2015 James rated it it was amazing
I like the saying "His head is like an actual encyclopedia.", BECAUSE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So yeah, Bugs Meany is a pain to the brain (no kidding),and Encyclopedia is awesome. Really. Awesome. I recommend this book ( and series) to all young readers who enjoy mystery and choose your fate books. I used to hate mystery books and thought they were all 'kiddy' and stuff. Then after one page of this book, next thing I knew I loved mystery books. :) :) #DonaldJSobolRules!
David
I remember reading these books in the '70s. I knew the answers to some of them, even just seeing the title of the story. Others I had to reread to remember what was going on. This is a great book for grade schoolers. I think I read all of the books I could get my hands on. In just a few pages, Encyclopedia Brown is able to solve the hardest mysteries. I forgot about the sheet metal, though. That was almost like reading that mystery again.
Robert
Jun 09, 2013 Robert rated it liked it
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
When I entered fourth grade long ago, I would not have been classified as an avid reader. By the time that year ended, I was and have been ever since. A lot of that had to do with Encyclopedia Brown. I suspect I read this way back then.

I read a story with my students every year. As I cleaned up the book mess last year, I came across this book. It has been in my To Read pile since.

The formula is set. I had read the "The Case of a Glass of Ginger Ale" within the last few years. It's an obvious sol
Mskychick
Reread Warsworn by Elizabeth Vaughan
This is a placeholder, or rather a place counter, since stupid GoodReads does not allow one to count re-read books towards one's total book read count for the year.
Even though I've read the book before, I READ THE DAMN BOOK THIS YEAR, AND IT COUNTS TOWARD MY F#%KING COUNTS!
Stupid Goodreads *grumble, grumble*
Joy Carreño
Jul 10, 2015 Joy Carreño rated it liked it
This book is a series of short stories that ask you ( the reader) to guess the solution. The solution is on a separate page. Written for 9 to 12 year olds, I loved that many of the solutions were based on scientific principles. That being said I really don't like the format. It would be good for classroom read aloud a and discussions.
Timothy McNeil
Sobol's second Encyclopedia Brown collection requires a little more thinking and less guess work (and not a single instance of being outright wrong, which Encyclopedia was on his very first case). It is a little odd to revisit the idealized world of 1960s suburbia (even with the one bad neighborhood) where children are kidnapped for ransom and mumblety-peg is a perfectly fine past time for young boys. (Sobol is unclear as to which version of the game is being played, but the one with which I gre ...more
Alex
Sep 17, 2015 Alex rated it liked it
Some more logical flaws with this one, stretching the scenarios a bit thin, but still amusing. For example, why does the gang of bandits leave a member behind to pose as a hitchhiker in case they get asked by the police if they saw someone? Why the assumption that the story was a lie rather than the storyteller made a mistake? And why the hell doesn't anyone think about the serial killer in their midst who collects full sets of animal teeth, but apparently doesn't have an upper limit on the numb ...more
Andrea
Mar 15, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-lit
It is a lot like Sherlock Holmes, except more normal-day problems. It is a fun book to get kids to think of details. Reading this I realized that my habit to over-think doesn't help me here because the conclusion is made based on minuscule facts I wouldn't have scrutinized. Interesting.
Charles H Berlemann Jr
Love the books hate the formatting.

Encyclopedia Brown books are the best fun for a kid looking to exercise some brain power. Good logic puzzles.

The thing that sucks is the formatting for the books sucks. From no hyperlinked solutions to the way page breaks are happening so that one can get a picture, a caption to a picture or even just the border to the start of a story for a page or two. Let alone the solutions aren't even listed in the table of contents. You have to scroll through the last sto
Cathy Cramer
I read this by my 4th grader's request, together. I so much enjoyed these books at that age. Now, the solutions are much easier to figure out. I liked that this book strayed from the usual setting into a tour of the "old west."
Caleb
Dec 30, 2014 Caleb rated it really liked it
I liked it. They basically always start with a case he's solving one of his father's because his dad is the chief of police. And the other ones are him solving his friends.
Amy
Jul 05, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Used to read these like crazy as a kid. I rate them right up there with SuperFudge, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew ... all the young Sherlocks and their mystery writing creators.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 19, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fantastic books. I loved them as a kid. You can solve the mysteries along with Encyclopedia Brown, all the clues are in the story. They make you think. Very recommended for young readers
Tatra
May 04, 2016 Tatra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea of a boy genius, but also love how you can solve the cases along with him. It's always logic and the small details. So much fun.
Lisa
Aug 19, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
encyclopedia brown is always a good read. I like how they put the solution @ the end so you can think and try and solve it.
Stephanie Sheaffer
May 14, 2016 Stephanie Sheaffer rated it really liked it
Good, clean fun set in 1960's America. Very similar to Henry Huggins and Homer Price. An especially good pick for boys - ages 7-12.
  • The Chocolate Sundae Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #46)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • The Return of the Great Brain (#6)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • Detective Stories
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Carnival Prize (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #9)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)