Start by marking “The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It” as Want to Read:
The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It

The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Our popular blog, The FEED, has nearly 200,000 unique visitors monthly (and growing) and DIY cooking was recently named one of the top 12 food trends for 2012. This beautifully packaged cookbook marries DIY cooking with America's Test Kitchen's methodology, resulting in over 100 kitchen-tested projects--from jams and pickles to cheese and charcuterie, snacks and sweets to ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by America's Test Kitchen (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The America's Test Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The America's Test Kitchen

Melissa Massello
Featured in 35 Budget Living Picks for National Book Lovers Day on ShoestringMag.com :

"Perfected and packaged for the age of urban homesteading, this "foolproof" guide to canning, curing, churning, brewing, smoking, drying, baking, and otherwise scratch-making gourmet goodies comes tried & tested by the expert team at America's Test Kitchen in Boston. Check out Tara's adventures in making homemade nutella from this must-have cookbook over on our DIY Boston blog. (I can personally vouch: bet
Mrs Elizabeth Mills
As you would expect this is an excellent book.

I really don't care for food additives and like food to taste like it used to. That pretty much means make it from scratch and I have several cookbooks for the purpose. This book has a little bit of everything so is perfect for propping on the kitchen counter on my kindle, yes I most likely have a book which has a similar recipe, but propping a big cookbook on the counter with ingredients everywhere isn't very convenient, my kindle is. Plus this has
Jessa
An excellent reference for all sorts of home cooking projects, and it has an engaging voice, for a cookbook.I read it from cover to cover the first time through.
Katherine
I'm always looking to try to see how many things I can make at home and this is one of my go to books. From canning to homemade granola, it's in this book.
Karin
Buying my own copy of this. Nicely illustrated steps for the recipes with a good mix of simple and more complicated preservation techniques.
Ivonne
Feb 01, 2015 Ivonne marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbook-library
26.95
Jessica
This is one I may have to buy in the future. I try my best to make most things from scratch when I can and this book is full of do-it-yourself-made-from-scratch recipes. There lots of great tips and techniques with each recipes and tons of color, step-by-step pictures too. I would highly recommend this one for anyone who wants to make more from-scratch food.
Westerville
In 4-page entries or less, with simple ingredient lists and endearing anecdotes, you can learn how to make everything from peanut butter to ketchup to marinated artichokes to salted caramels to pickles to cheese to crackers. Whoa. - Tamara, Computer Services

Reserve a library copy.
Jess
This cookbook was pretty good. Although I didn't make anything in it, I can definitely see myself purchasing this and/or just borrowing it again. The pictures were great and it made me think that I could make some of the things with no problem. Lots of these recipes require a food processor which is something I hope to acquire soon.
Varina
I can't think of anything I have wanted to try making at home that isn't covered here (maybe hard cheeses, but those really probably need a whole book of their own), and every recipe comes with clear, illustrated instructions that make even the most arcane of kitchen arts seem approachable.
Tamara
Unsuccessfully trying to talk myself out of buying this one.

Whoa.
Heather
This book is about making basics, well, what would have been basic for our grandparents - making your own mustard, ketchup, canning. I would have liked more information on canning, but still exciting to know that I can make my own GF Worcestershire sauce.
Robert Hudder
Another book that I will review on my blog. The short of it, is that if you are someone who is trepidatious about trying new recipes and one who follows them to a 'T' (see what I did there Theresa) then this book is very comforting.
Philip Schramp
Excellently written recipes, which is a given with ATK cookbooks. This is an great collection of recipes for everyday products that we all buy at the grocery store without thinking of the cost involved or what ingredients are included.
Gorgeous collection of recipes to try to learn more about pickling, canning, brewing, and other kitchen DIY projects. I would highly recommend this to someone wanting to start learning more about kitchen crafts.
Monique
Wonderful resource with things I would never make on my own. This would be a great gift for family night, home school families or folks who like to make their own stuff...certainly would be healthier.
Beka
A must for the kitchen DIY-er. In the true tradition of America's Test Kitchen, they explain both why and how to do a myriad of wonderful things that sound delicious. This is definitely going on my wishlist.
Traci Sumner
This cookbook is full of sticky notes. I can't wait to make all the recipes, ok, not quite all of them, but most of them. Love the cookbooks from America's Test Kitchen!
Liz De Coster
It's ATK, so I'm confident it's good stuff, but since it's ATK, I'm not sure about the amount of effort involved.
Jamie
Love this book. Full of wonderful ideas and fun food projects.
Kristy
This book was great & I plan checking it out again soon.
Marissa
Lots of good stuff in here I will be trying soon.
Dane
Homemade bacon period
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Caiti
Caiti marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
  • The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Perfect Recipes for Having People Over
  • Secrets of the Best Chefs: Recipes, Techniques, and Tricks from America’s Greatest Cooks
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook
  • Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast: 280 Incredibly Flavorful 5-Ingredient 15-Minute Recipes
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • The Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook: How to Make Truly Scrumptious Candy in Your Own Kitchen!
  • Illustrated Step-by-Step Baking
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • One-Hour Cheese: Fresh and Simple Cheeses You Can Make in Your Kitchen
  • Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook Slow Cooker Revolution: One Test Kitchen, 30 Slow Cookers, 200 Amazing Recipes The Best Make-Ahead Recipe The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook: A New, Healthier Way to Cook Everything from America's Most Trusted Test Kitchen