Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective (Books 1-4)” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective (Books 1-4)

Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown #1-4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Encyclopedia Brown has found a home at Puffin, and we’re celebrating his arrival with a boxed set! Just in time for the holidays, this set contains the first four books in the classic Encyclopedia Brown series. Whether Encyclopedia Brown is solving cases for his neighborhood friends or his chief-of-police dad, he always has an intriguing mystery to crack.
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2002 by Skylark (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown

Natalie Gilbert
I used to love reading books in this series in my younger years. Brown has a female 'Watson', and though she's somewhat of a token female in the series in the vein of Scarlett in G.I. Joe, it was nice to see a girl getting a slice of the action and mystery solving, as well.
Brant Rackley
This are great books to encourage your child to read. Your child can connect with the main character by age and daily life stories. These stories can help boost a child's imagination as well as help with problem solving. They will look for clues, process, and solve mysteries alongside Encyclopedia Brown. I liked these books growing up and will definitely have them available to my kids when they are a bit older. These books can also be used for something simple, reading for fun.Wathcing a child " ...more
Brant
I would read these on the bus to and from school instead of talking to anyone. I secretly hoped people would nickname me "Encyclopedia" because of this, but mostly they just ignored me (the same thing happened when I wore red socks to school, in hopes of earning the nickname "Red"). Rarely did I figure out how Encyclopedia Brown solved the case, but on those few occasions I did, I realized I must be a genius.
Owen Walker Stalker Texas Ranger
This book is about an 11 year old kid who's dad is the police cheif, and whenever his dad comes home with a mystery Encyclopedia will solve it for him! He is a really smart kid nd owns a detective business with his associate, Sally Kimball. Sally is the toughest boy or girl in the 6th grade! This dynamic duo goes around solving mysteries left and right! Read this book its awesome!!
J.P.
Oct 09, 2007 J.P. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of YA fiction, detective stories
The GREATEST detective in English-language literature, bar none! Sherlock Holmes, whom I admire, takes second place to good ol' Encyclopedia. I loved these books as a kid; I'm now passing them along to my young nephew, who likewise loves them.

Even if you don't have kids or kids in your life, treat yourself to some truly fun and original reading with this delightful character.
Larry
this entire remarkable series was one of my favorites from "early reading". it taught be deduction skills and how learn to think by observation and investigation. i loved this so much that i must have re-read each story/book at least three times.
Shari
There was nothing I did not love about Encyclopedia Brown; I was utterly obsessed with his books as a child. I still look for them in used book stores so I can give them to my nieces and nephews when they're old enough to enjoy them.
Starry Eve
I read this entire series when I was a kid, and even though I could never solve any of the mysteries before the end of the chapters, it still made me think while I was being entertained by the plot! :D
Carrie
These updated covers are so bad. I love the cover of the first edition in 1963.
Melinda
I used to love these books when I was in elementary school. I'll have to get them for Ethan when he's old enough.
Bryan
My mom bought me the complete series when I was a kid. I wish I still had them 'cause theses new covers are hideous.
Rebecca
Classic! I forgot how much I enjoyed reading these as a kid and they are still fun to read again today.
Gataki
This was my Fave, series growing up. I read all the books sa a kid whhen i was in 3rd and 4th grades.
Tom
Some of my favorite books when I was in grade school. Wish I could say I managed to solve most of the cases.
L Jung
C'mon, he's got "encyclopedia" in his name! You can't beat that. Not even with a really, really big stick.
Judy
Oct 04, 2007 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
Shelves: kids
I confess, I was never able to figure out the mystery. I always had to peek. How about you?
wooj
i learned that i would make a horrible P.I. Tom Selleck must have breezed through these.
Daniel Kim
the staple of my reading youth. probably the cause of my path towards dorkdom.
Ranata
I could never figure out done it until after he did. It was so obvious! LOL
MerBear
These were my favorite books growing up, and I have the entire set!
Tara Totoro Rugg
I liked these as a kid, before I discovered Trixie Belden
Houston
Loved these as a kid! Read them over and over!
Michael
Dec 06, 2007 Michael added it
Shelves: children
i read scores of these books, i loved them
Donkeyshorts
These are more of my favorite children's books!!!
Rex
Great books for youngsters. I loved all of them.
Kimball
this is a great series of mystery.
Allison
Who wouldn't love Encyclopedia Brown?
  • Nancy Drew: #1-6 [Box Set]
  • Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66)
  • The Complete Ramona Collection (Ramona #1-8)
  • Baby-Sitters Club
  • The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4)
  • Cranberry Christmas
  • Amelia Bedelia 50th Anniversary Library
  • The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)
  • Next Stop Grand Centr
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Teasing
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Bubble Trouble
  • Hyperspace (Choose Your Own Adventure, #21)
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, Then Again, Maybe I Won't, Otherwise Known As Sheila the Great, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Blubber
  • Moon Man
  • Uncle Wiggily's Adventures
  • The Big One-Oh
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2) Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2) Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5) Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)